How to Fly Phantom *2* in Restricted Airspace?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a licensed Part 107 pilot and I applied to the FAA for, and was recently granted (yay!!!), a waiver to fly in restricted airspace near a Class E airport.

Having dealt with the FAA, now I need to figure out how to get my bird to actually fly there. :-(

Since the Phantom 2 doesn't use the DJIGo app and therefore can't use the same geofencing unlocking procedure as the later Phantoms & Inspires, does anyone know how I can get my Phantom 2 to fly (*without disabling the GPS*) in the restricted airspace I now have authority to fly in?

Many thanks!

Reactions: Finmann
From what I gather, firmware needs to be PRE 3.08 on the P2. I believe 3.08 added no fly zones.
And do not believe there is a way to unlock it?
I have a first version p2v with 3.06 and I can fly wherever. You might try to locate a NAZA unit with early firmware already loaded on it, or find someone who has a copy. Droneslinger I believe used to but not sure anymore?

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding on it
Hope this helps!

JDot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: J Dot
Okay, so it sounds like the only solution is downgrading the firmware to a pre-no fly zone version then?

And, I believe I understand that the way to do that is to get an old version of the Assistant software, and then re-flash the firmware on the bird from that software?

Does that mean I have to blow away the Naza by using the jumper-two-pins trick?
(Which two pins was it again?)

(Alas I'm on a Mac, so I need to find a Mac version of the old Assistant software... it looks like Droneslinger only has the PC software... :-(

Many thanks for all the help.

Okay, so it sounds like the only solution is downgrading the firmware to a pre-no fly zone version then?

And, I believe I understand that the way to do that is to get an old version of the Assistant software, and then re-flash the firmware on the bird from that software?

Does that mean I have to blow away the Naza by using the jumper-two-pins trick?
(Which two pins was it again?)

(Alas I'm on a Mac, so I need to find a Mac version of the old Assistant software... it looks like Droneslinger only has the PC software... :-(

Many thanks for all the help.

Here the video to reset firmware.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes
Jason's video above
Bottom pin F1 to bottom pin F2 is the jumper, it does not delete firmware from NAZA, only tricks it into thinking it is new and Not programmed , so firmware will show 0.00.00. But if the reload fails, the NAZA will still have previous firmware installed, unless you get a corrupted update! In that case just start over and try again. As for Mac, that I'm not sure of? And yes droneslinger is of versions.

Hope this helps!
A+ Jason and Dirk!:)

J Dot

And a big thing I forgot
Once you get firmware on computer you MUST DISCONNECT FROM INTERNET, or new firmware will be installed instead! I almost forgot that!:)

J Dot

Lol,
But see how I REELED it back in! Acid like reflux, oh I mean Cat like reflex!:rolleyes:

Muhaha
J Dot

Lol,
But see how I REELED it back in! Acid like reflux, oh I mean Cat like reflex!:rolleyes:

Muhaha
J Dot

That's what happens to these Floridians when they spend to much time in the sun. The government thought it was drugs that cause that condition.

Reactions: J Dot
And a big thing I forgot
Once you get firmware on computer you MUST DISCONNECT FROM INTERNET, or new firmware will be installed instead! I almost forgot that!:)

J Dot
Unfortunately all of this doesn't seem to work any more. It shows 0.000 in DJI assistant 2.0, but it gives no options to update it, and says you must update the main controller before connecting.

Unless I'm doing it wrong. Oh God please tell me I'm just an idiot doing it wrong so I can downgrade. I can hardly fly my P2 anywhere as all the "Warning Zones" even the big ones that you normally just hit ok in the app, cause the P2 to land.

This issue has killed my P2. It won't fly anywhere there is any sort of warning zone. That includes 5+ miles out from airports, tall buildings, etc. Every time I take my P2 off it flashes red and lands. I thought maybe this wasn't a Geofencing issue, but a battery issue. Then I looked at the DJI map here and did some trial and error and anything green when P3 Pro is selected and Enhanced Warning Zones are selected, my P2 will not fly. Find a place on that map where there isn't a warning zone, it flies fine. So it's definitely a warning zone issue. P3s+ just go to the app and select ok fly (my buddy has a P3) but us with P2s are being told by DJI to shove it and buy a new drone from them.

As I've stated in other threads, I'm all for reasonable restrictions. If I can't fly my P2 at an airport (with authorization) because they can't unlock it for me, so be it. I'm a private pilot, so I am all for not allowing flights around airports without permission. Too many idiots out there. But not letting me fly miles from any hazards is just ridiculous. DJI responses to me have wavered between, "That's not how it's working, it's another problem with your drone" to "That's the way it works for safety, we can't make everyone happy, buy a new drone."

Is everyone else with a P2 experiencing this? Is it just some of my zones? Is it a very convenient coincidental problem with my P2 that has just happened to several times work fine in open areas, but land 10 seconds after takeoff if in one of these green zones? I'm absolutely flabbergasted and frustrated.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I avoided upgrading my FW past 2.XXX for this reason. I have done drone videos at small airports with full authorization as I am a videographer and private pilot. one of my videos
I lent my P2 to another video producer friend and told him DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE! He then proceded to hand it off to one of his assistants who... you guessed it... upgraded the firmware. That was 2 months ago and I've been pulling my hair out ever since.

All warning zones wide.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan