How to Fly Near an Airport

Reaction score
I live near almost on top of the Martinsburg airport which is a Class D and Class E2 airspace. My property is parallel to the runway. Is is possible to get DJI to let the drone fly on my property at less than 50ft? I just want to practice flying without having to drive to far away.

If you are flying recreationally then you just need to unlock the airspace through DJI and notify the airport of your operation since you are within the 5 mile radius.

DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access

Airspace Restrictions
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower.

Thank you for the link, it looks like I am screwed as I am inside a restricted zone which means I cannot even fly indoors.

metal roof, and tinfoil walls and ceiling for indoor flight.
I am waiting for warrantee to expire before I start having fun inside mine.

Turn it on under a bucket and fly it in F-mode maybe.
The only "airstrip" near me doesn't even register with faa maps, let alone dji banned zones.
But the criminally insane leaves office in 4 days, so write your reps to let them know the problems he has created for you. FAA is ignoring their own laws by saying our aircraft falls under their jurisdiction.

Don't believe you can disconnect GPS without an error.

A layer of foil or two on the 'lid' should attenuate the signal adequately for Atti. flight.
But of course none of the GPS niceties are available either. Position-hold, RTH, Odometer, etc.

metal roof, and tinfoil walls and ceiling for indoor flight.
I am waiting for warrantee to expire before I start having fun inside mine.

Turn it on under a bucket and fly it in F-mode maybe.
The only "airstrip" near me doesn't even register with faa maps, let alone dji banned zones.
But the criminally insane leaves office in 4 days, so write your reps to let them know the problems he has created for you. FAA is ignoring their own laws by saying our aircraft falls under their jurisdiction.
I am new to all of this, do you have any links available for further reading on the subject?

Don't believe you can disconnect GPS without an error.

A layer of foil or two on the 'lid' should attenuate the signal adequately for Atti. flight.
But of course none of the GPS niceties are available either. Position-hold, RTH, Odometer, etc.
I will give this a try.

This was actually demonstrated by a DJI rep. with Grant I. from M-busters (not the M-buster show) somewhere in San Francisco because of an NFZ IIRC.

buzzing around the yard only leaves the position hold and distance limiting to miss.
Think of the drone as a hovercraft. I fly in my yard 4-5 ft up, and just fly forward changing direction by pointing where I want, and it skids and then starts going in that direction. A little extra forward gets in going that way faster. At 1-2 feet the cats get upset with me, and run off.
Then fly it sideways the same way, then backwards, so you don't wear out the control gimbals pots.

Wear out the pots?

Have you ever heard of or done that?

Wear out the pots?

Have you ever heard of or done that?
Hey my 38 year old world expert radio hasn't yet, but I didn't fly with it only using one stick one way.
But if you prefer, so you don't build up memory in your thumbs. Keep the tendons guessing.

With comments like this someone is bound to post that:

"I read (somewhere) you can wear out the control pots by flying in circles, Is that true?" ;)

Last edited:
fox news just announced they will get you for even having your drone in dc friday. You don't need to be flying it.

fox news just announced they will get you for even having your drone in dc friday. You don't need to be flying it.

Guess you believe everything that comes out of Fox News.

Obviously there is already an NFZ in place and there's a whole list of things that are banned from the 'secured grounds' and subject to confiscation within.

Not sure Fox has any different information than the rest of the media or if this poster expressed himself accurately.

• Aerosols
  • Ammunition
  • Animals other than service/guide animals
  • Backpacks and bags exceeding size restrictions (18” by 13” by 7”)
  • Bicycles
  • Balloons
  • Coolers
  • Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems
  • Explosives
  • Firearms
  • Glass, thermal, or metal containers
  • Laser pointers
  • Mace/Pepper spray
  • Packages
  • Selfie sticks
  • Signs exceeding the size restrictions (20” x 3” x 1/4”)
  • Structures
  • Supports for signs and placards
  • Toy guns
  • Weapons of any kind
  • Any other items determined to be potential safety hazards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan