How to downgrade from 1.7.9?

Reaction score
So I wrote about my signal loss/short range, and when I googled, I found there are a lot of people with P3S that experience the same problem trying to go beyond 40m....and most of them say its after a FW upgrade. I checked-mine is 1.7.9 and I want to go to 1.5.7...I put it on two different SD cards and nothing happens. There has to be a workaround to downgrade it,, please help.

update:: so I managed to go back to 1.6.8 succesfully but it doesnt go to 1.5.7, as I think its the best one,, as far as I read in related topics. Theres strong wind today so I cant test if 1.6.8 fixed my range issues,, but should I leave it or try going lower?

Last edited:

Reactions: PapaTita
I heard that is as far back as you can go from 1.7.9. Say are you running FCC or CE power? 1.7.9 is working fine for me running FCC power. Although I don't think I'll be ever updating my firmware anymore. One person sent their Phantom back to DJI having the same problem as you and DJI replaced a board.

1.7.9 got me 2200+ feet the other night. It had way more in it too, I bet. I just chickened out because I'm a new owner.

I have FW 1.7.9 and live in CE land.
With PapaTita mod and windsurfer it's easy to reach 1,5 km.
AND the video reconnected very fast when it was lost and the bird started to return home. Previously with 1.6.8 the video wouldn't reconnect before the bird was all the way home!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: PapaTita
Personally I think there's nothing wrong with 1.7.9. If your having issues it's either a hardware issue or a bad FW install. My record to date using this FW is 4089 meters.

Personally I think there's nothing wrong with 1.7.9. If your having issues it's either a hardware issue or a bad FW install. My record to date using this FW is 4089 meters.
Yeah but you're running DBS antennas and amps. Mine is stock running FCC power and I usually get 1200 meters using firmware v1.7.9.

Yeah but you're running DBS antennas and amps. Mine is stock running FCC power and I usually get 1200 meters using firmware v1.7.9.
Yes I am, but I wouldn't be getting anywhere near this distance if the FW was at fault. When I ran stock I was getting up to 1000m before turning around, I was a newbie then and I couldn't believe I was flying that far. Different FW back then, but I've been on four different version now and didn't see much impact either way when it comes to range, even on 1.6.8.

well I put 1.7.9 back via proper install through the GO App (cause 1.6.8 wasnt making a difference in weak signal range) and still the same--weak/lost signal at around 40m alt 80-100m distance.

Any idea on how to force downgrade two steps down-from 1.7.9 to 1.5.7?

I take it that formatting the Camera's SD card and placing the bin file on it doesn't work, eh? If that doesn't, when you turn it on, the resync (binding) button (the one you need something thin to press) some say needs to be depressed. Did you try that too?

well I put 1.7.9 back via proper install through the GO App (cause 1.6.8 wasnt making a difference in weak signal range) and still the same--weak/lost signal at around 40m alt 80-100m distance.

My money is on a hardware issue here, sorry to say. That range is just so very low for just a FW issue, IMHO. Did the drone ever have good range?? Got it new or used ??

Last edited:
yes it had a good range, the original owner sent me a video in which it clearly goes at long distance.

I`ve read a LOT of forum posts and youtube comments in which people say they got hundreds of meteres range with 1.5.7 and went down to 40m height with 1.7.9.

yes it had a good range, the original owner sent me a video in which it clearly goes at long distance.

I`ve read a LOT of forum posts and youtube comments in which people say they got hundreds of meteres range with 1.5.7 and went down to 40m height with 1.7.9.
First on that last part, I really don't agree on the fact of 1.7.9 having range issues. The reason you see threads about 1.5.7 having good range is because the FW right after that 1.6.8 had range issues with some, mostly those in the CE areas. So your mostly reading about people comparing those two version, which had 1.5.7 being much better. I really don't think there's many that can compare 1.5.7 to 1.7.9 head to head. They probably had range issues with 1.6.8 as well, and now the same will the new one, blaming the FW when it could be a hardware issue also. Which it might be with you, or might not. But I don't think it's the 1.7.9 FW if install correctly. You either have a hardware issue, or a bad install of the FW. I personally wouldn't focus on the version number, but the fact it could had been a corrupt file or install.

Now for the first part of this post. Seeing a video does not cut it with me, nor should it with you. That just means "once upon a time" it worked. Who know what could have happened to it between then and now. A crash, water damage, corrupt FW install, or a beta FW install that was corrupt, to name a few. It's just a snapshot in the drones history. May I ask, was this a handshake deal or a online sale.

Reactions: RodPad
@keeponrollin
So since you have received this unit you haven't seen it work as "advertised"

My experience, which has happened twice, firmware updates said they where successful.

But my distance was then cut to being weak signal at less then 100' it wasn't in the air nor were the motors turned on. It was setting on a bar stool chair 4' off the ground.

Short story version, had to send both in for repair, Return to me both times a different remote, first time a different bird, second time same bird, with a list of parts that was replaced.

My theory, what fails on firmware update, makes hardware fail that doesn't not get fixed, with out a hardware replacement.

Rod

Reactions: BillW50

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT