Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How much data?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ukman, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ukman

Hi all,
    Just purchased an iPad mini 3 wifi & cellular and wanted to know roughly how much data I should need per month. I understand it depends on how often I fly and such and that there are a lot of variables but I am just in need of some input. I know I could also just 'tether' it to my phone or cache maps using wifi but all that aside I just want to be able to get out and fly with the least amount of fuss as possible....

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

How much do you need? Zero
    You need no data to fly. The Phantom doesn't use data.
    If you have data, you can use it to download maps in the field - but it's not necessary at all.
    You can download maps at home or using your phone - or fly without them at all.

3. ukman

I hear what your saying it's just that I've been using my mobile phone as the dji screen and I'm used to using the maps, now I have the iPad I still want the maps...

4. ashtonhess

I would do around 2gb. this gives you room to fly and do other things you might want to do.

ukman likes this.
  5. Fplvert

Ya, it totally depends on what other things you do with your cellular data. Like Meta4 said, you don't need it to fly.

I use 10Gb on my phone, and none on my tablets. The big advantage of cellular on an iPad is the GPS.