How many have had no major issues of flyaways?

Reaction score
Reading this forum can downright scare a new owner, and I realize we see the number of posts on people with problems because they come here looking for help, but how many people, if you had to guess a percentage, have purchased the DJI PV2+ and have owned one since they were released have had no serious problems? I'm thinking its higher than I'm getting the impression of. Or am I wrong?

Clear skies,
Joel

JWarren said:
Reading this forum can downright scare a new owner, and I realize we see the number of posts on people with problems because they come here looking for help, but how many people, if you had to guess a percentage, have purchased the DJI PV2+ and have owned one since they were released have had no serious problems? I'm thinking its higher than I'm getting the impression of. Or am I wrong?

Clear skies,
Joel

If this aircraft [Phantom] is a person's first ever remote controlled aircraft... he/she should be scared ;) .

No, really they should respect it and what it is capable of doing to people and property if the operator is negligent.

A little fear is a good thing. It's part of the survival instict after all . :lol:

92 flights, no issues!
Greatest distance with only booster app 7405 ft!

I wait for sats and the run compass calibration every flight

I had a Phantom Vision that "flew away".... And I was really Pissed.... But after I calmed down I realized that It was 100% pilot error... I took off before I had a home lock, and satellite location.. I was anxious to fly, and it was all ME....
So I waited and bought the Plus model when it became available... AND I LOVE IT !!

Follow a checklist before lift off, and don't push your limits, and these are amazing machines...

Here are a couple images from yesterday...

Attachments

• DJI00379.jpg
    DJI00379.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 795
  • DJI00357.jpg
    DJI00357.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 798
Reactions: ___
P2 H3-3D no real issues, lost gps once mid flight so i switched to ATTI and landed (didn't want to temp the P2 gods). but other then that yeah no real issues in the 3 months i have had it.

No problems here, except for the occasional pilot error. Learning may lead to crashing

I watched a video the other day where the pilot, while flying, turned around to talk to someone. I'm sure he broke connection by doing that. Then, it flew away. Now of course if everything was operating properly, it should have returned but it didn't. You can argue that something was wrong with the Phantom, and who knows why it failed, but the precipitating event was the pilot

This is like a motorcycle or a bicycle, it a 100% activity. You take your attention away for any reason at great risk. I don't like to fly around other people because either you're answering questions or you're flying. Thinking everything's cool while you get your drink or talk to your buddy while the bird hovers can lead to disorientation and disaster.

Pre-ordered and waited for 2 weeks. During this time, I youtubed everything and read up from reviews and Phantom 1/2/Vision users.
Also read up on NAZA-2, NAZA-H, and NAZA-M. I still try to keep up-to-date by researching more.

Owned for almost 3 months
I had a practice $80 toy 30cm crash-quad to practice on. This teaches you orienteering and replicates manual mode flying.
RTFM - Read The Fkn Manual thrice.
looked for an open field to compass dance. I do compass dance when I'm at a new location > 30km.
Turned on NAZA on day 1 and made sure I knew what the switches did. I now have manual mode instead of fail safe.
For the first 20 flights, I had it in visual range with prop guards on in an open space.
I catch land.
Take off on an elevated space, eg boxes, case. I used to get compass calibration errors and this resolved it.
Transmitter uses well known batteries to avoid it from turning intermittently during flight.
I have a GSM GPS tracker.
if she is behaving funny, I land her and call it a day.
My geofence is at max 999999999 in the phantom assist (it's something I believe in that may cause "fly-away").

I do preflight checks (this is just a summary).
* 7 or more sats before take off.
* try and look at tree tops and read the weather to make sure wind isn't greater than 60ks.
* I walk it in a figure 8 before take off so the gps sees the phantom move.
* I look at the FPV direction HUD to make sure where I am standing is where the phantom is.
* I hover for 30 seconds to do avionics checks
* I relock the home position again (left switch pos 2-3 x 5) and make sure I see those flashes.

Not recommended though and I know of the risks.
I am now going to practice manual mode and take off before any satellites. By the time i'm in the air with enough satellites,
I will set new home points and set back to GPS/ATTI flight once satellites are found. This if I need to take off immediately or flying in confined spaces, etc.

That's great nhoover. Mako, excellent pre-flight checklist you have there. I do believe I'll use it as my own.

I have done over 40 flights on my new Vision+ and I have never crashed it because I know of the consequences.

I've never flown a RC aircraft before but I did a LOT of research and reading before I decided to make the purchase. I'm treating the drone like a serious aircraft system and so I do a pre-flight check before every flight.

It takes me around 10 mins to do a Pre-Flight Checklist before each flight. I do a compass calibration everytime I start my first flight. If I'm just switching batteries and do not move the launch location I skip the compass calibration.

I do a weather check and check my environment for any signs of likely possible RF interference or line of sight obstructions.

This is my check list:

PHANTOM Start Up Pilot Card
1. Check Phantom's propeller condition and the vehicle for any damage.
2. Remove lens cap and camera gimbal lock.
3. Turn on Transmitter and WIFI repeater.
4. Check Phantom battery charge and turn on Phantom.
5. Select the Phantom WIFI repeater on your phone/tablet
6. Run the Vision App on smart phone or tablet
7. CALIBRATE compass at flying area
8. Check that there is a memory card on the slot for the camera and proceed to format it via the app.
9. Confirm good video reception on camera.
10. Confirm S1 (right switch) and S2 (left switch) are in TOP position. This is to set for GPS ATTI mode and VEHICLE orientation.
11. Deploy control and WiFi repeater antennas.
12. Assure that you are receiving at least 6-7 satellites on app.
13. CLEARED FOR TAKE OFF

Once the Phantom is in the air, I do some quick flight manoeuvres (hard banking and yaw) and see if there are any flight stability issues.

Once that is done I'm ready. I stay above 100ft/30metres or higher to avoid collision with any tress. I watch out for any possible source of WiFi or control interference.

Once the battery is at 65% charge, I start a return. On the return journey I always hand grab on landing to avoid getting debris and sand into the motors. I never land on the ground.

The Phantom must stop recording video before you turn off the vehicle, otherwise the video file is corrupted (repairable but you lose the timestamp and the last 10 seconds of footage).

So far so good, I've never had a crash or any anomalies. Very reliable so far.

It's a machine that will treat you right if you treat it right.

60 flights,
2 crashes due to pilot error, slightly bent gimbal and took the heat gun to a bent arm.
No phantom problems besides a suspect faulty battery.

100+ flights since January, and the only issues have been pilot error... 2 crashes, one due to fog (don't do that!) and the other due to a tree that jumped up out of nowhere and grabbed the Phantom.

50+ flights no issues at all, just 1 time when i did a wrong compass calibration and started flying, after a bit i relized it didnt stay in 1 location even tho i had homeloc. After i landed it in atti mode and recalibrated compass again there were no problems anymore.

I own the Vision+ and love it. I use a pre-flight checklist and have no problems, no fly-aways - just a blast to operate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl