Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

how is dj6 controller 6 channel? isn't zenmuse ch 7?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helishmeli, Jul 16, 2014.

1. helishmeli

I am trying to understand radios because I am thinking of upgrading the stock dj6.

I keep reading the the dj6 is 6 channels, but isn't the gimbal lever in the back another channel?

So does this mean I can look at 6 channel radios for the phantom 2 (nonvision) rather than 7 channel radios?

2. OI Photography

It's effectively a 7-channel, the gimbal control on DJI's Phantom controllers has long been called the "hidden extra channel"

You will need at least 7 channels on any other brand of Tx/Rx you replace it with, if you want to have flight mode and IOC and gimbal tilt control available...whether you do the connection via D-bus/S-bus or traditional channel outputs.

3. helishmeli

thank you for clearing it up, i was thinking a spektrum dx7

4. OI Photography

No problem! I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the Spektrum gear, but I know others are using the dx7 with their Phantoms.

5. helishmeli

oh wait i just realized i forgot about gimbal control. how would you control the gimbal on a 7 channel radio? isn't the 7th channel usually a switch, and not a continuous lever like the dj6?

6. OI Photography

That just depends on the controller you get...many will let you assign which switch or knob is out put on each channel, or at least on channels 5, 6 and 7. I would assume the dx7 does as well but I'm not sure.