How high?

Reaction score
I did a search online and in the fourm and I really can't find anything on how high the P2 can go. Please forgive me if it is out there I just didn't see it.

I'd like to touch the clouds but in the same breath I don't wanna lose my equipment.

Thanks!

Nor, I assume, do you wish to make contact with manned aircraft. Personally, I am careful about how high I fly for that reason.

People have gone, like Icarus, quite high with their P2's. Some failed to plan for the descent and experienced either VRS or a spent battery before safely landing.

Phantom2_15642 said:
I did a search online and in the fourm and I really can't find anything on how high the P2 can go. Please forgive me if it is out there I just didn't see it.

I'd like to touch the clouds but in the same breath I don't wanna lose my equipment.

Thanks!

Well ya...good assumption. I guess to clarify I'd like to know how far the transmitter will connect safely to the Phantom. Assuming all the batteries are fully charged and you have a good line of sight.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be overly discouraging or negative. With so much in the news lately, both about public hysteria and instances of genuinely irresponsible flying, it seemed worth saying.

I use a Futaba TX/RX and I've found it can vary according to the terrain and probably the RF environment. I was flying near an almost sheer mountain recently and lost signal at around 500-600 meters. Later that day, in a more open area, I was out to 1300 meters.

I've never tested it for distance because I use FPV and when I can no longer see I start to get worried and bring it back.

Phantom2_15642 said:
Well ya...good assumption. I guess to clarify I'd like to know how far the transmitter will connect safely to the Phantom. Assuming all the batteries are fully charged and you have a good line of sight.

How far?
In the past, I had mine out 5800 meters (3.6 miles) and below 400 feet high with full control the entire time. That is using the standard DJI RC and antenna. That was done with an unobstructed line of sight on a crisp clear morning just before sunrise.. Like the previous post indicates you may not get out that far depending on obstructions, and other atmospheric conditions that affect radio signals. I have had brief lost of control at much shorter range (2500 meters or 1.5 miles) but this was due to flying low just above trees where I believe the signals were scattering through the trees. I get best distance performance flying high but still below the 400 foot altitude limit recommended by the FAA.

Phantom2_15642 said:

Thanks!

Too high is the answer. You shouldn't have any real need to go higher than 400ft above your take off point. Anything higher is unsafe. Winds aloft will be much stronger than surface winds. Temps drop 2c per 1,00ft and moisture can be cooled further by the wind. Coming down takes a lot lot longer than going up.

I guess I really don't have the perception of how far I am out there. I basically went up took a video and came down. But you see the you tube videos of people carelessly (sorry if I offend anyone) ascending into and past the clouds. I would be a bit uneasy yes for manned aircraft but as well as personal or property damage.

I just don't want to lose the P2 because stock it goes 1/4 mile and I went 1/2...sorry I don't do meters so well.

At 400ft the PS looks like a dot, depending on the wind direction sometimes I can't even here it. I've "Lost" it a few times, luckily I have an FPV system. It was very easy to get my bearings with it

This is probably what you meant, but I consider manned aircraft both personal and property. :)

Phantom2_15642 said:
I guess I really don't have the perception of how far I am out there. I basically went up took a video and came down. But you see the you tube videos of people carelessly (sorry if I offend anyone) ascending into and past the clouds. I would be a bit uneasy yes for manned aircraft but as well as personal or property damage.

I just don't want to lose the P2 because stock it goes 1/4 mile and I went 1/2...sorry I don't do meters so well.

All stock set up. 7000 feet plus - under perfect conditions. Way more than you will ever need.

koviatt said:
All stock set up. 7000 feet plus - under perfect conditions. Way more than you will ever need.

Not sure how you're getting 7000 feet with stock...
DJI officially states your controller will lose connection at 4000 feet away.
It's not recommended to fly that high or far though as many commenters before have said.

7,000ft, obvious and blatant safety issues aside, would be a one way ticket with an express return.

I'd guess that would be a 50f temperature drop. So unless you're in a very warm climate, you'll be in icing conditions should you encounter any moisture. Not to mention winds aloft being way too strong.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl