How cold is too cold?

Reaction score
I would like to get out and take some video of the snowfall here in the NJ but the temps are not above freezing. In fact getting above 20 degrees is tough. So how cold is too cold to safely use my P3P? I know the cold effects the battery but is there a point where control may be compromised?

Reactions: scarrick and JoBe
DJI recommends not flying in temperatures below freezing but it's been shown that these aircraft could operate in very cold temperatures. Having been around manned aircraft and helicopters I would recommend avoiding "visible moisture" while in freezing temperatures. Aside from potential icing, you could run the risk of freezing moisture on your mother board.

You want to take video of the falling snow? I'd do it quickly and "close to home." My 2 cents!

If we stayed within DJI Spec temps .... a large % of videos would never be made !!

-15C is about my coldest I flew in I think ... actually probably colder .. especially up in the air away from the ground.

Nigel

One should take care of following while flying in cold temperatures:

1. It's known that LIPO batteries degrade in performance at low temperatures and thus their discharge current capacity reduces. But if one preheats the battery before flying, there is absolutely no risk of losing battery power due to low ambient temperatures as the temperature rise inside the batteries will keep them warm during flying. If we consider temp rise by (say) 80 deg C and the minimum battery operating temp limit is 0 deg C, in such a case ambient should never go below -80 deg C.

2. Humidity goes low in low ambients so there is not much risk of condensation inside. But if one gets drone out from room temp to suddenly extremely low temps outside, the small moisture trapped inside drone migh condense but high chances are there that it may be sucked out to dry atmosphere. I don't see much risk.

3. Can you fly safely in cold temperatures? I think this factor will limit what cold is too cold.

I would like to get out and take some video of the snowfall here in the NJ but the temps are not above freezing. In fact getting above 20 degrees is tough. So how cold is too cold to safely use my P3P? I know the cold effects the battery but is there a point where control may be compromised?
Flown here in SW Montana at zero degrees Fahrenheit,
no issues at all. Make sure to keep your battery warm prior to flying.

Flown here in SW Montana at zero degrees Fahrenheit,
no issues at all. Make sure to keep your battery warm prior to flying.

Warm and fully topped off batteries are key. I had a P3P-down (auto-land) when there was that firmware issue in the end of 2015. Partly my fault as it was about 45 F and I started with 73% battery charge. I have since flown in 0 degrees with a P3P and P4’s without too many problems aside from battery cold warning. Make sure you let the drone hover for a good minute to get the battery juices going.

Different question Re CONDENSATION - my DSLR training was to always bring a plastic bag outside in the cold when shooting and then before heading inside, place the camera and lens in the bag and tie it off, then bring that inside to warm up. The theory being, like eyeglasses, the camera and electronics will hit the warm and more humid air and fog (condense) up. However, if in a bag, the condensation will collect on the bag and not on the camera. Once at room temperature, then it’s safe to get it out of the bag. I “try” to do this with my drone or at least put it back in the cold travel box before coming inside. Has anyone else done this?

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Warm and fully topped off batteries are key. I had a P3P-down (auto-land) when there was that firmware issue in the end of 2015. Partly my fault as it was about 45 F and I started with 73% battery charge. I have since flown in 0 degrees with a P3P and P4’s without too many problems aside from battery cold warning. Make sure you let the drone hover for a good minute to get the battery juices going.

Different question Re CONDENSATION - my DSLR training was to always bring a plastic bag outside in the cold when shooting and then before heading inside, place the camera and lens in the bag and tie it off, then bring that inside to warm up. The theory being, like eyeglasses, the camera and electronics will hit the warm and more humid air and fog (condense) up. However, if in a bag, the condensation will collect on the bag and not on the camera. Once at room temperature, then it’s safe to get it out of the bag. I “try” to do this with my drone or at least put it back in the cold travel box before coming inside. Has anyone else done this?
I am still on 1.3.20 firmware so no cold battery issues. That issue started with 1.5.?? I believe.

I flew in 14° F with no issue at Christmas. Kept the battery warm until I plugged it in and fired up. As previously mentioned, I hovered for a minute just to warm things up, then flew around for 20 minutes with no problem. I also take a little extra precaution on landing. Make sure I have a nice smooth level surface and no chance of tipping or striking blades, which I'm sure would shatter like glass in the cold.

Reactions: JoBe
I was wanting to fly in the bomb cyclone conditions on long island but didnt know the good way to warm bats. is it ok in my pocket with one of those hand warmer packs?

I was wanting to fly in the bomb cyclone conditions on long island but didnt know the good way to warm bats. is it ok in my pocket with one of those hand warmer packs?

Yes fine ...

My system is to have both Batterys and AC in the car warmed up ... and minimum time outside powering up etc.

Batterys can easily be warmed by use of picnic insulated bags and hand warmers ... I have a small bag that is designed for 6 pack of beer ... I can put warm things in or for hot summers put cooler things in ... keep it zipped up and its good for a couple of hours. I also have a larger picnic bag that I have separate LiPo safe bags in ... I split up my LiPo's in size and put in there .. its usual for me to carry anywhere between 10 and 15 LiPo's each session.

The excellent budget priced Turnigy LiPo warmer bag ... its not only a programmable warm bag runs of 12v but also a LiPo safe bag ... this can easily take 2 P3 batterys and plugs into car .. or you can have a small 3S LiPo to run it ... one of the best LiPo bags ever ... cheaper and better than the DJI battery warmer !

Turnigy Programmable Lipo Battery Warmer Bag (12v DC)

33990.jpg

Nigel

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
I conducted some tests up here in Fairbanks at -40(C and F the same at this temp), hovering over a piece of foam at about 8 feet. The video transmission on the bird, a P3P went out about two minutes in but gimbal function and controls worked fine and video trans returned with warmer weather .(this bird eventually required a new gimbal board, that may have been why it failed in the cold) There was one hell of an ocsillation or vibration shaking the bird visibly but the gimbal soaked it all up. Video recording was fine. Put in several hover tests like this with two different batteries and averaged about 14-15 minutes of flight time each mission. Mission time was dictated solely by voltage drop and not flight time remaining. Batteries and bird were house warm before being hurried outside to initialize the home point. I saw batt temps as low as 13C and saw a lot of low temps squawks at the end of those flights. Had I maintained vid trans I would have felt confident enough to head out on a very cautious range check. References to you being the weakest link in this chain are right on the money - I used a pair of military arctic mittens with the lanyard connecting them; inside each were not one but two handi heater paks. Voltage drops quick in the cold and warm bare fingers are needed for quick emergency swipes of the RTF function if voltage plunges on you quickly. Lift is good in the cold and at -40 there is virtually no water vapor save your breath so visibility is exceptional and long range. But you are hanging it out there so I recommend programming your C2 button to show battery data.

Wow, Latitude 65... thanks for that.

And I was worried about going out in 10F! ha!

I conducted some tests up here in Fairbanks at -40(C and F the same at this temp), hovering over a piece of foam at about 8 feet. The video transmission on the bird, a P3P went out about two minutes in but gimbal function and controls worked fine and video trans returned with warmer weather .(this bird eventually required a new gimbal board, that may have been why it failed in the cold) There was one hell of an ocsillation or vibration shaking the bird visibly but the gimbal soaked it all up. Video recording was fine. Put in several hover tests like this with two different batteries and averaged about 14-15 minutes of flight time each mission. Mission time was dictated solely by voltage drop and not flight time remaining. Batteries and bird were house warm before being hurried outside to initialize the home point. I saw batt temps as low as 13C and saw a lot of low temps squawks at the end of those flights. Had I maintained vid trans I would have felt confident enough to head out on a very cautious range check. References to you being the weakest link in this chain are right on the money - I used a pair of military arctic mittens with the lanyard connecting them; inside each were not one but two handi heater paks. Voltage drops quick in the cold and warm bare fingers are needed for quick emergency swipes of the RTF function if voltage plunges on you quickly. Lift is good in the cold and at -40 there is virtually no water vapor save your breath so visibility is exceptional and long range. But you are hanging it out there so I recommend programming your C2 button to show battery data.

This could put a end to the discussion on “ weather, and how cold can you fly in.”

I have always said - its as cold as YOU the pilot can survive.

We fly all sorts of RC .. drive cars etc. in temps down to -20C ... so cold in fact that touch screens fail to work properly.

'Vodka' helps !! ... actually that's joking as I make it an issue no alcohol when I fly.

Nigel

'Vodka' helps !! ... actually that's joking as I make it an issue no alcohol when I fly.

and we won't even ask "But what about when you get home for the evening and cozy up to the fireplace?" ;)

I haven't tried flying in the really cold yet but want to - for the experience... we had a 'cold snap' Jan 2 (10F) and been mostly in the teens overnight ever since, but also windy and wet so no flying. The forecast doesn't look much better until Sat.

I do the same thing with my SLR camera. I wonder why in the cold weather tips for drones, it never says anything about that. I always think about the electronics and bringing things inside the house when cold. I always bag them up first.

For me down to -20C no problems with the craft, at the end of the second battery my tablet froze and shut down and my fingers where numb but the craft runs well and the battery heated up in the low 40C (I cruise around 30 mph) same flight times but it seems longer as your fingers get cold. When you take off gradually accelerate to cruising speed to give your battery a chance to generate heat. As Latitude said it's a good idea to program one of your C buttons for quick battery info.

One of my colleagues did a P3 flight in the Arctic during the winter. It was about 100 miles to the north of Barrow on the ice. He obtained this video footage...

...from the helicopter during the flight to the site. It was probably about -20 F, but he was able to do a short flight and get some interesting footage. During a trip to the same area the previous fall, I did a couple of flights when the air temperature was in the 25 to 30 F range and there was open water. I also did a few flights from Nome and Dutch Harbor during that trip on cold days. Despite the fact that these flights were to some degree successful, I wouldn't recommend it unless it is really important to you to get footage. The other videos that I mentioned may be accessed here...

Video and Photos from Alaska during the Fall of 2016

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor