Horizon FPV Antennas

AndySwe said:
Thanx a lot for the Superkit , got my antenna-kit today and have fitted the 5,8 on the tx now and had a quick tesflight.
It works great and Im stoked to fit the antenna on the range extender aswell.

Will be very happy if I get 600-900 meters distance with FPV and wont bother to change on the UAV side.

Well done Horizon and thank you for great custumor service. // Cheers Andy / Sweden

Hi there ,

glad you like the kits , its grate for you FPV guys to have decent kit , I test them well here so i know what they can do.

Yesterday I did an exercise , using the super kit and the Uav fitted with the antennas also, I first did a range check at the distance to prove the link ( 800 meters) , Then i place the P2V at a position for a clear take off,I then went to a distance of 800 meters and then checking the RC link and video , sent the UAV into the air ( i could not actually see it from where i was ) then flying i predicted course and direction i flew it to me and hovered it above my head . then landed it , so it was a take off and landing at a remote location.This flight was logged wit the FLYTREX also.

Then today i did a test link for another flight , this time the range is 1.5 kM ( around 4,921 feet ) and checked the RC link and the Video wifi path link .( using the latest antenna sets from horizon ..... all good , so now that i have tested it I will fly the path shortly. That should earn some flytrex badges , got the 2 k badge and that last flight ...

Geert said:
It's getting better and better.

My new personal record, just mod the pilot end only.

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ert-23937/

:p

Geert.

good one ,that's up in the clouds !!! do the UAV end mods . if you can,
put one of the new BH Super micros on the UAV pointing strait DOWN ..... ....
on a test i did today it was good at 1.5 KM horizontal so it means you could go 1.5 kM strait UP...... !!! :eek:

Geert said:
Pcdeveloper2014 said:
Geert said:
It's getting better and better.

My new personal record, just mod the pilot end only.

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ert-23937/

:p

Geert.

good one ,that's up in the clouds !!! do the UAV end mods . if you can,
put one of the new BH Super micros on the UAV pointing strait DOWN ..... ....
on a test i did today it was good at 1.5 KM horizontal so it means you could go 1.5 kM strait UP...... !!! :eek:

Hi Will,

I was looking on your website for the BH Super micros. I couldn't find it, maybe I overlooked.

Geert.

Hi there , they are listed as P2V micros and will go under that name . as they a meant to be fitted to the UAv.

see:

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... 2v-micros/

they will be available separately shortly, currently listed as a kit ( in a pair ).

Will

270 meters altitude and 858 meters distance last night with only Pilot end (tx and range extender) :cool:
Had full fpv while yawing 360 at that dist and alti.
Using the Vision Android APK version 1.0.38
More then happy with my Horizon kit !

Ive just got a BH micro 2.4 on the pilot end. The other connection in the extender I've got connected to a spare T Link omni 8 dbi that I had.
I'm regularly getting 800 mtrs + , so I'm pleased with the Blackhawk. The only weak area is when the UAV is pointing towards me and pitched nose down, then I get a temporary FPV blackout so I'm considering doing the UAV end with a single or maybe double SP. But I'll have to wait until they can supply these new connectors that connect to the pigtails in the Vision camera.

Full Phantom 2 Vision super plus kit installed on my UFO and tested so far 1000m horizontal distance + 750m high.
Didn't lose connection yet.

Can anyone give me an answer regarding the type of the antennas ( LHCP or RHCP ) on the following:

P2V camera: ( LHCP ) as I had read in many posts
P2V repeater: same as the camers ( LHCP )
P2V aircraft receiver: ??
P2V aircraft transmitter ( Remote Control ) ???

so the standard P2V remote control & aircraft antennas are LHCP just like its camera and repeater ?

pilot said:
so the standard P2V remote control & aircraft antennas are LHCP just like its camera and repeater ?

The FPV (FirstPersionView) or live video feed to your phone uses 2.4ghz wifi. Connected via the small range extender to the built in wifi in the Phantom 2 Vision Camera which uses two small antennas facing out side to side from the P2V which is why people can get better range flying sideways then nose in and nose out.

The antennas used for the WiFi link both on the range extender and the Phantom 2 Vision are LHCP (Left Hand Circular Polarized) though maybe not true 100% LHCP which is why I can get standard whip and even my RHCP Helical antenna to work fine with the P2V's LHCP antennas though maybe not as optimally.

The 5.8ghz Radio Control link which is used to actually fly your Phantom 2 Vision uses a standard whip or dipole omni directional antenna. The same applies for the 5.8ghz receiver on the Phantom.

For myself and most other's, the 5.8ghz radio range extends far beyond the stock P2V's wifi range capabilities, well beyond the 1km range though your results will vary depending on where you fly. This is why most people just modify the WiFi range extender to improve the FPV link so you can easily fly beyond line of sight and enjoy the view and feeling of flying.

If you end up upgrading your FPV feed beyond the capabilities of your control link the best / first upgrade that could be done is to modify the 5.8ghz control to accept any standard WiFi style antenna (even though the controller uses RF and not WiFi). You will get the best results using a higher DB gain omni than the 1 or 2dbi gain antenna that comes with the controller. Or for much greater range a regular liner Patch or Directional antenna will work very well. Modifying with circular polarized antennas will work well too, but they'll work better if you also modify the 5.8ghz antennas on the Phantom 2 which is not an easy process and requires soldering skills. From what I've seen and in my opinion only modding the RC Controller itself with a good patch antenna or higher dbi omni directional will give you sufficient enough additional range to keep up with any Wifi upgrades to the FPV setup.

To get the optimal connection and least chance of a connection loss it's best pairing like to like. Standard Dipole omni to Omni. Circular Polarized antenna to Circular Polarized antenna. RHCP (Right Hand Circular Polarized) to RHCP and LHCP to LHCP for the best possible connection with the highest possible gain / connection between both ends. I do highly reccomend modding both the wifi repeater as well as the Phantom 2 Vision camera antennas with circular polarized antennas for the most enjoyable experience. Upgrading both sides will give you equal range regardless of how you point your P2V, though antenna placement on the P2V is critical to how well it works, in addition to the antenna type. My favorite configuration so far is using a Helical antenna on the Wifi Range Extender and an omni directional or clover leaf for the secondary antenna. And two Skew Planer antennas on the Phantom Vision.

Posting Range Results

I feel it would be the most helpful if when people post the range results they're getting, they include information about the area they're flying in such as a populated city area with a lot of wifi and other signals near them. Or wide open area with no forms of interference such as an open country field, desert or over the ocean.

Secondly and very important is including the "Preview Quality" you achieved your range with, and if flying with an unmodded P2V if you had to fly sideways or not to achieve that range.

Both of the above factors make for a significant and dramatic difference in how far you can actually fly your Phantom and maintain good control and FPV feed. Everyone should keep that in mind when posting range results to include that info.

BenDronePilot said:
pilot said:

The FPV (FirstPersionView) or live video feed to your phone uses 2.4ghz wifi. Connected via the small range extender to the built in wifi in the Phantom 2 Vision Camera which uses two small antennas facing out side to side from the P2V which is why people can get better range flying sideways then nose in and nose out.

The antennas used for the WiFi link both on the range extender and the Phantom 2 Vision are LHCP (Left Hand Circular Polarized) though maybe not true 100% LHCP which is why I can get standard whip and even my RHCP Helical antenna to work fine with the P2V's LHCP antennas though maybe not as optimally.

The 5.8ghz Radio Control link which is used to actually fly your Phantom 2 Vision uses a standard whip or dipole omni directional antenna. The same applies for the 5.8ghz receiver on the Phantom.

For myself and most other's, the 5.8ghz radio range extends far beyond the stock P2V's wifi range capabilities, well beyond the 1km range though your results will vary depending on where you fly. This is why most people just modify the WiFi range extender to improve the FPV link so you can easily fly beyond line of sight and enjoy the view and feeling of flying.

If you end up upgrading your FPV feed beyond the capabilities of your control link the best / first upgrade that could be done is to modify the 5.8ghz control to accept any standard WiFi style antenna (even though the controller uses RF and not WiFi). You will get the best results using a higher DB gain omni than the 1 or 2dbi gain antenna that comes with the controller. Or for much greater range a regular liner Patch or Directional antenna will work very well. Modifying with circular polarized antennas will work well too, but they'll work better if you also modify the 5.8ghz antennas on the Phantom 2 which is not an easy process and requires soldering skills. From what I've seen and in my opinion only modding the RC Controller itself with a good patch antenna or higher dbi omni directional will give you sufficient enough additional range to keep up with any Wifi upgrades to the FPV setup.

To get the optimal connection and least chance of a connection loss it's best pairing like to like. Standard Dipole omni to Omni. Circular Polarized antenna to Circular Polarized antenna. RHCP (Right Hand Circular Polarized) to RHCP and LHCP to LHCP for the best possible connection with the highest possible gain / connection between both ends. I do highly reccomend modding both the wifi repeater as well as the Phantom 2 Vision camera antennas with circular polarized antennas for the most enjoyable experience. Upgrading both sides will give you equal range regardless of how you point your P2V, though antenna placement on the P2V is critical to how well it works, in addition to the antenna type. My favorite configuration so far is using a Helical antenna on the Wifi Range Extender and an omni directional or clover leaf for the secondary antenna. And two Skew Planer antennas on the Phantom Vision.

Posting Range Results

I feel it would be the most helpful if when people post the range results they're getting, they include information about the area they're flying in such as a populated city area with a lot of wifi and other signals near them. Or wide open area with no forms of interference such as an open country field, desert or over the ocean.

Secondly and very important is including the "Preview Quality" you achieved your range with, and if flying with an unmodded P2V if you had to fly sideways or not to achieve that range.

Both of the above factors make for a significant and dramatic difference in how far you can actually fly your Phantom and maintain good control and FPV feed. Everyone should keep that in mind when posting range results to include that info.

WOW, found answers to other questions in my mind :)

i really appreciate the detailed explanation BenDronePilot

Thanks

BenDronePilot said:
And two Skew Planer antennas on the Phantom Vision.

you mean the Camera right ?

because i tried the SP on my lost/unrecoverd P2V but can't tell the result/or if they were good as it flyaway on the first test with the SP antennas :(

but will give it a try again as i already ordered 2 types: the SP and IBCrazy Cloverleaf Whip both RHCP

and if did not get good results then i'll try the ones Geert talking about ( LHCP Horizon FPV Antennas) to test them

PS. i tried the 2X 14dBi Outdoor Directional Antenna on the repeater as many many suggested on this website but got a crapy result comparing the 2X 5dBi Indoor Omni-directional Antenna

pilot said:
BenDronePilot said:
And two Skew Planer antennas on the Phantom Vision.

you mean the Camera right ?

because i tried the SP on my lost/unrecoverd P2V but can't tell the result/or if they were good as it flyaway on the first test with the SP antennas :(

but will give it a try again as i already ordered 2 types: the SP and IBCrazy Cloverleaf Whip both RHCP

and if did not get good results then i'll try the ones Geert talking about ( LHCP Horizon FPV Antennas) to test them

PS. i tried the 2X 14dBi Outdoor Directional Antenna on the repeater as many many suggested on this website but got a crapy result comparing the 2X 5dBi Indoor Omni-directional Antenna

Hi, if you position the SP antennas in a good position, preferably low and a little bit away from the body of the P2V then you will defiantly be getting better results with them than the built in camera antennas. Keep in mind the antennas sold at Horizon for the Phantom 2 Vision are LHCP Antennas. Ideally you don't want to combine an LHCP with RHCP and vice versa for optimal performance. You'll want LHCP Skew Planers, or see if you can get RHCP antennas from Horizon to match up with the RHCP SP antennas you ordered from IBCrazy.

Regarding Patch and Whip antennas on the repeater. I've actually had very good results with both the 5dbi and 8dbi TPLink antennas. I did half a mile going sideways with the 8dbi antenna on the low preview quality and with a lot of wifi near me. I think I could have gotten it out further but it was hit or miss in that area. For whatever reason the 9dbi TPLink directional I feel didn't work as well as the omni directional. Many people though had posted good results flying sideways with the 14dbi version which is very bulky. You're far better off with a good Helical antenna which is lighter and more portable, and a pair of SP antennas on your Phantom. You'll easily push to 1km give or take depending where you fly. Anyway best of luck.

New Camera kits for the P2V , these are available shortly for the Vision camera with special cables
These will be available this week.

two camera kits:

with 2 x SP ( LHCP)
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/phantom-2-vision-new-camera-kit-with-2-x-sp-silver/
and 2 x P2V BH Micros LHCP
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/phantom-2-vision-new-camera-kit-with-2-x-bh-p2v-micros/

Uav RC control
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/phantom-2-vision-new-uav-end-rc-control/

and the pilot end

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... -end-only/

so by combining three kits you have the NEW super kit of your liking.( saving £10)

all available separately.

Will

Geert said:
Hi Will,

Thanks for posting these pictures.
Actually, I am looking for some smaller antenna to improve wifi for the UAV.
Your setup looks nice, but I see 3 problems for myself .
1) this setup will never fit in my case, it's too big
2) take off and landing is not that easy with this setup
3) almost impossible to point the camera straight down with the 7th channel.

Geert.
hi there ,
well it comes apart its just tape holding it on.
well you could off set them to the sides to allow camera to point down.
i was going to put some carbon landing legs on there , but just put a bit of wood on the ground for take off
and on landing had the wife to just catch it ... Lol , it was just a quick altitude test , took it up to around 600meters just to test ,
no problems with links as would be expected , you could fit one not two of these and a SP as a second antenna.

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/william-paul-26012/

I did a static horizontal test at 1.5 kM using this setup just using one antenna and a SP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18