Horizon FPV Antennas

there should have been a label attached telling you which was which. Centre is 5.8 and goes to your rc controller and outside is 2.4 and goes to your extender. is this how you have it setup?

mem_ny said:
Big fan of Will's antennas. I purchased the following dual band antenna:

Dual band Blackhawk Micro 2.4 GHz & 5.8 GHz 12 dBi ( LHCP in White )
(dual 2.4 & 5.8 BH: 1 x 5 cm & 1 x 30 cm)

RC Range decreased significantly to 300m when signal was lost. Obviously something is wrong. All connections appear proper.

How do I know which antenna connection goes to to the 5.8 and which goes to the 2.4. Does it make a difference?

hi there , you can't mix the antenna connections or the patch cables , the short patch cable with the strait and 90 deg is the 5.8 GHz cable
and the patch cable with 2 x 90 deg is the 2.4 GHz patch, you must connect to the correct antenna inputs ,
there is a label showing which is which , but looking at the antenna rear have the connector at the top and one to the right .

the top one ( closest to the centre ) is the 5.8 GHz and the right hand connector is the 2.4 GHz for the extender.
using this antennas alone without RF amps the uav flew out to 1500 meters before it hitting the software fence at 1500 meters.

for its size it's a really good antenna for the pilot, compact and very light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBviuhT8HPI

the latest is the compact extreme , more gain and in Gold..... now we are talking 4-5 km !!!

Horizon FPV Antennas: flyterx and power module

Some new kit guys ,
we have introduced the flytrex to the antenna range and also shortly a power module to run the extender and the RF amp off a 5 v power bank ( option ). saves using a lipo and the power bank is like 14,000Mah.

This will run the RF amp at 12v for max RF output and distance , with no fear of the battery dying on you .
whir we have a fitting service for these kits that is done professionally for you , the flytrex option can also be added at the same time , well worth putting this in the UAV at the same time.

Will
HFPV UK

I went to purchase the 2.4 antenna for repeater and the US site only has this in a kit with other stuff I don't need. Seems they only show a few items for sale compared to UK site. Is this going to change soon?

Will, I recently purchased a Black Hawk Combo from the US site. Upom inastall of the kit on my wifi extender, I destroyed the antenna plug in on one of the extender clips on the circuit board. The second one if fine. I was using the RE700 on my Vision for extra rrange, but wanted this combo for more range. My question is do I need another extender and start over or can I do without the second antenna on the extender and still get good range. I have seen others use one external and leave second one alone, but they still had two antennas doing that still. Will it do harm without second antenna plugged in? Hoping the single will still work, or will bite the bullet and order a new one or possibly install on my old RE 500, but I love the battery indication on thr RE700. Thanks in advance.

You will still get good range even with the one antenna on it, I was using one just to see what range I would get and was getting 4000feet with one having 2 gives you a wider field of range as the signal over laps but you will still do well with the one.
I can repair your extender but I live in N.ireland and I think that would be to far to post for you?

Thanks all, since most use the one external, they leave the other internal antenna connected and I let drill slip and ruined ine internal snap connection on the control board, thus now have a single antenna. Stupid mistake. I went and ordered a new extender to be safe and will be more careful next time. Since some power goes to each antenna and the one antenna id not there, was afraid it may damage board more.

Geert said:
nettraptor said:
What do you mean only one antenna?? A cloverleaf to phantom and a whip Sto antenna to radio?

Just did the mod on the left rear leg and not on the front front.

Geert./.
Ohh now I get it. And what about your radio part ? What antenna do you use??

dastagg said:
Thanks all, since most use the one external, they leave the other internal antenna connected and I let drill slip and ruined ine internal snap connection on the control board, thus now have a single antenna. Stupid mistake. I went and ordered a new extender to be safe and will be more careful next time. Since some power goes to each antenna and the one antenna id not there, was afraid it may damage board more.

hi there yes there is a danger when drilling the extender case that the drill will 'PULL IN ' and destroy anything it hits .

so if your unfortunate and have broken the connector , if there is anything left of the connector point on the board , you could just chop off the U.fl and pick up the connectors that way , running without an antenna load will not do the extender much good on that output side , same thing goes for those destroy the connector on the RC unit removing that bloody glue ..... but you can do the same thing just solder to the board directly , if you do this right sits actually better than a connector !\

Thanks guys

Will
HFPV UK

saao said:
Hey will did u get a chance to make a video on how to install the rpsma connector to the 5.8 ghz rc wire, how and where to solder

hi there , a few have asked about this , i will get around to it shortly and put it on the channel, this is by far the best way to do the Rc unit and the RC antennas on the UAV , you have to be good at soldering for this though , no blowlamps allowed guys !! :lol:

Will
HFPV UK

saao said:
The rc control wire so that we dont need to spluce

actually the soldering of the two part connector from Horizon is actually quite easy , the splice is a bit more difficult.

but when the two part is soldered direct to the coax its a really good termination and a perfect match.

at present Horizon are shipping out the splice and two part connectors in the kits , then will transition over to the two part only .

with the option to select splice or two part on the kit shortly.

there is also a NEW 15 cm U.fl for the Extender so ideal now and no stress to the cable or excess cable as the 30cm were .
so kit will include these instead of the 30cm version.

Will
HFPV UK

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
saao said:

actually the soldering of the two part connector from Horizon is actually quite easy , the splice is a bit more difficult.

but when the two part is soldered direct to the coax its a really good termination and a perfect match.

at present Horizon are shipping out the splice and two part connectors in the kits , then will transition over to the two part only .

there is also a NEW 15 cm U.fl for the Extender so ideal now and no stress to the cable or excess cable as the 30cm were .

Will
HFPV UK

we are waiting for the video will thanks a lot

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much have payee of shipping costs for the Blackhawk Micro dBi and Nimrod RHCP?

Thanks

saao said:
Pcdeveloper2014 said:
saao said:

Will
HFPV UK

been very busy guys ,if you still need that video on the two part connecor , i will do one ,but if any one can solder good at
small levels they will find it easy . Normally we would test the connection with a meter , to check we have no shorts. `but the coax is still plugged in to the main board ( RC transmitter or receiver on the UAV ) so you can NOT do THIS

also the meter will put a small voltage on the coax back to the board , this could give other problems ? , so do NOT put test meter on there,

if you do it will show a SHORT as the board resistance is being read not the Joint !!.

th only way is to remove the plug off the board to measure it , but the whole point is not messing with the board end,

so the only way is to inspect the joint with an eyeglass to look for shorts .

with the RC unit you can then measure the output into a RF meter to check things, with the UAV you have to do a range check,
it you fit same 1/4 wave dipoles on the connectors , then your back to stock set and range would be as before.

with the UAV , the best thing to do is mount the two part bulkhead connector at the top of the landing gear , then you can just remove the antennas for packing down.

here is image on the RC side with the connector mounted , there is no need to remove the old antenna

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m19v4t6i7g7tyve/P1040661.JPG?dl=0

Will

saao said:
Pcdeveloper2014 said:
saao said:

Will
HFPV UK

ok guy i will do this video , its very easy for me but i will show you guys how to do it, first chance i'll post it on the channel

Will
HFPV UK Ltd

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart