Hitting No Fly Zone Boundary - Behavior?

Reaction score
There have been posts on this subject in the past, but I'm not sure I'm completely up to speed on what happens with my P4A should I inadvertently hit a no-fly zone barrier after taking off and flying normally outside the zone.

I live quite close to a prison that's in a no-fly zone. While that doesn't prevent me taking off from my house (I'm not in the zone, but rather probably a third of a mile away from the edge), I'm uneasy about flying around here, since one of the reported behaviors of hitting the edge of a no-fly zone is that the drone will immediately auto-land. Others have reported that the drone will simply not go further into the zone as if it's hit a virtual wall.

I don't plan to go anywhere near the edge of the no-fly zone, but I would like to be prepared for how the drone will behave if for whatever reason that happens. Can anyone confirm for sure what I should expect?

It will stop and go no further into it. Did a test on it .If you don't pull back it will sit there till it hit's whatever % you have set to RTH or what ever and then do that .

It will stop and go no further into it. Did a test on it .If you don't pull back it will sit there till it hit's whatever % you have set to RTH or what ever and then do that .
Sorry for the short reply but was tied up. I had read in here someone say they had
hit a red zone and their drone had just auto landed there and was over water .
So having this small prison here I went there with my Mavic and opened the app and drove into it . Sat my drone in the back of my truck which I use as my takeoff pad inside the red zone and powered it up. It would but the motors would not spin up . IMG_0246.jpg

So I drove with the drone still powered up just outside of the ring and she flew. Went to the zone and when it hit it it just stopedIMG_0247.jpg I could go up and down and side to side but it did not just drop . Now if I had just sat there to hover till my battery hit 10% it would have auto landed .I have also learned the hard way when it is auto landing when it hit's 1% the motors quit at that moment .
Don't matter if your 5' or 40" which I was when it did . Now this was with my Mavic . Hope that explains it better .

Hey Dirk long time no chat. How are you doing buddy? Been a crappy year here so far I've had 5 funerals in less than a month.

In your infinite wisdom (there are so many contradicting posts) with the Phantom 4 do you need to calibrate the compass when moving location say 50 miles?

Reactions: dirkclod
Doing good and hate to hear it . Don't have a 4 but I don't ever do one unless the app tell's me to . I might do one after doing a upgrade and IMU cal but don't think
you really need to then . Just habit from my P2 days .

Reactions: Mike Drone7
Keep in mind that if you happen to fly to the 'other side' of the NFZ (as if you flew around it initially) and RTH kicks in the aircraft is going to hit the "Mushy wall" on the other side and ultimately auto land out of sight on the other side of the NFZ.

You would have to know it was there though to fly around it . Then you would be out of luck if there was a issue. Me...Have no need to be near one .
I did that test just to see if what was posted was correct. And wasn't .
Funny I was only 2 blocks from it and could see the SO .Small

There have been posts on this subject in the past, but I'm not sure I'm completely up to speed on what happens with my P4A should I inadvertently hit a no-fly zone barrier after taking off and flying normally outside the zoneI'm uneasy about flying around here, since one of the reported behaviors of hitting the edge of a no-fly zone is that the drone will immediately auto-land.
The P4 pro will act as Dirk said. It just bumps against the glass wall and can't push into the zone.
The autoland case I've read of was with the Phantom somehow being inside the zone
with the Phantom 4 do you need to calibrate the compass when moving location say 50 miles?
Under normal flying circumstances there should be no need to calibrate your compass.
Even a brand new Phantom right out of the box and it doesn't matter how far you travel with it.
My P4 pro is 16 months old and flies perfectly . It's never had anything calibrated.

Doing good and hate to hear it . Don't have a 4 but I don't ever do one unless the app tell's me to . I might do one after doing a upgrade and IMU cal but don't think
you really need to then . Just habit from my P2 days .
Thanks Dirk glad all is well. How's your grandson? I just visited mine (yep I'm a grandfather of a 2 and a half year old) time really fly's. My daughter lives about 2 hours south of me in Delaware and she was worried about her roof after the ****** weather we had up here this month. I didn't bother to calibrate the compass and all was fine. But I did run into a crazy problem, I was in range of a recreational airport and the app wouldn't let me fly unless I agreed to the conditions on the iPad screen but I couldn't find it until I googled it and the first hit was "REALY DJI why a button to hit ok that is not visible in day light"? It had an arrow in the general location of the ok button and I was fine then but sadly the roof has some damage. I know this is the wrong place to put this reply and will start a conversation one of these days real soon so we can catch up on things.

Under normal flying circumstances there should be no need to calibrate your compass.
Even a brand new Phantom right out of the box and it doesn't matter how far you travel with it.
My P4 pro is 16 months old and flies perfectly . It's never had anything calibrated.
Thanks Meta4!

Keep in mind that if you happen to fly to the 'other side' of the NFZ (as if you flew around it initially) and RTH kicks in the aircraft is going to hit the "Mushy wall" on the other side and ultimately auto land out of sight on the other side of the NFZ.
Good point. Much like a riptide, where you have to swim parallel to the shore to get out of it, whenever you encounter the circumference of an NFZ, you need to fly on a tangent to get away from it. Too bad turning OA on during RTH can't also avoid and fly around the NFZ barrier until you can regain control, and find a better place to land, or still bring her home, before the battery is depleted.

I clean forgot to thank you all for the replies and information - the behavior you describe is exactly how I'd hoped it would work. Having the drone auto-land upon hitting a no-fly wall would be not so good. Much appreciated!

Does anyone know if the p3p would act the same way as @dirkclod noted above?

Sorry, I know this is the p4p section but I just stumbled in while surfing around. Thanks

I don't have one but would bet what happened to me would happen to any P3's .
My P2 wouldn't even slow down but that's them. Someone correct me if I am wrong .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart