Hit by a bus!

Reaction score
My two year-old Phantom Pro 4 has served me very well, earning its keep with photojournalism work. Last week it met a surprising end, hit by a bus as I was bringing it home in downtown Detroit. I suspect this must be an unusual circumstance, as the avoidance sensors had no chance to work. The bus driver shouted something at me, so he knew what had happened. Nobody's fault, really. The battery had separated from the drone and was in full flames when I reached it, only about 100 feet away. I'm not asking for help, simply offering advice: watch out for OTHER large moving objects. I was fortunate to find a lightly used replacement, the Mavic Pro 2, which I grabbed at a nice price from a local guy.

I have a couple of buyers who want my entire assortment of accessories, including the busted Phantom. My gimbal was definitely broken, camera itself seems OK. Thanks, I'm good.

how much are you selling the entire package for and possibly i can purchase that piece from them or do you have any idea where i can get one ?

My two year-old Phantom Pro 4 has served me very well, earning its keep with photojournalism work. Last week it met a surprising end, hit by a bus as I was bringing it home in downtown Detroit. I suspect this must be an unusual circumstance, as the avoidance sensors had no chance to work. The bus driver shouted something at me, so he knew what had happened. Nobody's fault, really. The battery had separated from the drone and was in full flames when I reached it, only about 100 feet away. I'm not asking for help, simply offering advice: watch out for OTHER large moving objects. I was fortunate to find a lightly used replacement, the Mavic Pro 2, which I grabbed at a nice price from a local guy.
Yip sucks when that happens, I watch my p4 freefall so feel the pain,,hope the bus driver give you free pass for the future..hey at least it wasn't a stop sign that some have managed to hit in the past

Reactions: Capt KO
I'm not sure what part it is you need. I'll attach some photos of the gimbal, but it's not looking good. Camera has a crack in it too, now that I'm looking closely.

Attachments

• P4P_0816.jpg
    P4P_0816.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 263
  • P4P_0818.jpg
    P4P_0818.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 246
  • P4P_0820.jpg
    P4P_0820.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 266
Don't know where you're located but I would be interested in the wreck as well. I'm in Florida Tampa Bay area. Don't need battery unless you have extras.
Or the whole thing remote and all

I put everything up for sale on Facebook Marketplace and am taking offers until April 15, top offer takes all. I'm very surprised at how much interest I received on day one. If you are serious, my top offer today is 300. The drone itself still starts up, so the electronics are good, but the body and gimbal are probably shot. Not sure about the camera, it has a crack in it. The controller is perfect, one battery (1 hour and 45 minutes use) are fine; I have all of the charging cables, a gimbal lock, new unused car charger, extra props, and a new, never-used set of ND and polarizer filters.
Phantom Pro4 accs .jpg

Where you crossing on a crosswalk? If so the bus driver is at fault......
It's hard to explain. I was shooting above an entrance to an underpass, so the drone was well above the roadway, and I was at the higher street level. When I began returning to base without changing altitude, the bus came around the corner from behind me, turned into my flight path.

You're lucky not to have been caught by the police and arrested for violating the mayor's stay at home policy. That could have cost you $1000 and 6 months in jail.

Reactions: Basspig
You're lucky not to have been caught by the police and arrested for violating the mayor's stay at home policy. That could have cost you $1000 and 6 months in jail.
Not worried. I am a working photojournalist, at a mayor's press conference on this trip.

I put everything up for sale on Facebook Marketplace and am taking offers until April 15, top offer takes all. I'm very surprised at how much interest I received on day one. If you are serious, my top offer today is 300. The drone itself still starts up, so the electronics are good, but the body and gimbal are probably shot. Not sure about the camera, it has a crack in it. The controller is perfect, one battery (1 hour and 45 minutes use) are fine; I have all of the charging cables, a gimbal lock, new unused car charger, extra props, and a new, never-used set of ND and polarizer filters. View attachment 118068
I think $300 is a great price to receive for a crashed Phantom 4 if I were you I'd be all over that. I had a brand new P4 in the foam box (bird only)no controller, batteries,charger etc. I let it go for $250 a few months back but since the covid-19 crisis I've been hearing lots of chatter about DJI parts becoming harder to find and price increases for any parts remaining in North America so you might stand to benifit in that regard

So you flew into a bus. Lucky you didn’t cause an accident, Nice work for a “photojournalist“. did you have permission to fly at street level in a city?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka