High altitude flying with P4? Any experiences?

Reaction score
I travel to Colorado a lot and hit some high altitude Jeep trails. Last time I was there, I had my Yuneec Q500 4K. I took off at 12,300' in elevation. It flew but not well. When I went to descend, the quad started sinking in its own prop wash and couldn't seem to get itself out of it. Had a fairly hard landing on a slope. Just broke some props, fortunately. I'll be going back soon and plan to bring my P4. Has anybody flown their P4 at high altitudes? 13,000 to 14,000 feet? How does she handle?

Reactions: Mike_Flys
I'm just guessing, but with the major change in density altitude, your AC will always fly differently. Density Altitude causes all AC to have more difficulty to take off, land etc.

Not with my P4 but I've flown my P3S at 12000ft without issue although it does get windy up in the hills!

Just make sure you monitor battery level as you fly as you won't get as much flight time.

I live in Colorado but only bought it in November and haven't taken it too high yet. At home I'm at 5,600 feet I have never flow it lower than 5,600 so don't have a frame of reference but it's seems normal. I get the same performance as others seem to report as far as range and battery time. I've flew it from a friends house in the foothills from 9,000 feet and didn't notice any difference.

I've seen plenty of videos of people flying at 14,000 with no apparent issues. I don't expect any issues other than unexpected wind gusts.

I'm just guessing, but with the major change in density altitude, your AC will always fly differently. Density Altitude causes all AC to have more difficulty to take off, land etc.

There is some performance hit but at the altitude I flew it seemed mostly normal. Biggest problem was cold fingers and more difficult landings due to wind.

Hoping to get to Colorado this summer and do some flying. Sure you get some beautiful footage there. I live in S Dakota. I know what you mean about cold fingers. Lol

I travel to Colorado a lot and hit some high altitude Jeep trails. Last time I was there, I had my Yuneec Q500 4K. I took off at 12,300' in elevation. It flew but not well. When I went to descend, the quad started sinking in its own prop wash and couldn't seem to get itself out of it. Had a fairly hard landing on a slope. Just broke some props, fortunately. I'll be going back soon and plan to bring my P4. Has anybody flown their P4 at high altitudes? 13,000 to 14,000 feet? How does she handle?
Let me know how that went at those altitudes. Going up in the Big Horns and the Gran Titons soon outside of Yellowstone NP. Some fairly high altitudes there as well. Curious to hear how your P4 does. Have the P4P and hope it does well.

Hello everyone, here is Max from Italy.
DJI GO 4 is limited to 500 meters (1640 ft) ... which app you use to go higher?

I live in Colorado but only bought it in November and haven't taken it too high yet. At home I'm at 5,600 feet I have never flow it lower than 5,600 so don't have a frame of reference but it's seems normal. I get the same performance as others seem to report as far as range and battery time. I've flew it from a friends house in the foothills from 9,000 feet and didn't notice any difference.

I've seen plenty of videos of people flying at 14,000 with no apparent issues. I don't expect any issues other than unexpected wind gusts.

What resolution of the photography, we can expect over the flying altitude 14000 or 20000 feet.

Hello everyone, here is Max from Italy.
DJI GO 4 is limited to 500 meters (1640 ft) ... which app you use to go higher?
Those limits refer to altitude above ground level (AGL). That means you can fly up to 500m or 1640 ft. above your takeoff point.

Not with my P4 but I've flown my P3S at 12000ft without issue although it does get windy up in the hills!

Just make sure you monitor battery level as you fly as you won't get as much flight time.
Which app you have used for flying and flight planning.

I live in the Rocky Mountains up at 8,000' ASL and regularly fly up between 10,000' and 12,000' ASL. Yes it gets windy, especially. In the afternoons. Flight times are reduced dependent upon the OAT. I Did nothing to my P3P or P4 but fly them but I had to put High Altitude Blades on my Inspire 1V2 and recently did the Battery Mods installing 2 extra Aux Batteries to increase my flight times. I taught Settling with Power for thousands of hours in real helicopters and the easiest way to recover from it is to fly horizontly out of it, or drop out of it killing your power. I've never experienced it with my Quadcopters as the rate of descent is controlled by DJI's Apps.

What resolution of the photography, we can expect over the flying altitude 14000 or 20000 feet.
Flying at higher altitudes isn't going to affect the camera resolution. That is fixed by the geometry of the optics and the detector chip. So while the angular resolution remains the same, you would have lower image resolution if you were actually 20000 ft above the ground and looking down. But that would be the same if you are at a lower altitude and looking out at objects that far away. The one effect higher altitudes would have is more UV. At worst, it would be similar to being out on a bright sunny day with the UV filter off of the camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl