Hero 3 or Hero 4?

Reaction score
I am expecting my first Phantom next week, but the Hero 4 is on backorder.
Will the Hero 4 record in HD and work with FPV using a 5.8 GHz video transmitter or should I get the Hero 3?

Based on my research, the H4 will output video like the H3 while recording. Having said that, the only reason I bought the H4 was because Amazon exhausted their H3Black+ stocks but had the H4 Silver for the same price. I'm not well versed in the GoPro models but I think the advantage of the H4 Silver over the H3B+ is the touchscreen back (assuming that's important to you.)

I should have all of my FPV parts delivered by the end of next week so I will let everybody know how it works.

Backordered from the dealer where I bought the Phantom. I owe them some loyalty...

The Hero 4 Black is the model you want. 4K30 video with more low light options than previous models.

The 4 Silver model is essentially the 3+ slightly updated.

Thanks, mud. I am concerned because some of the posts that say the Hero 4 will not work in FPV on the H3 3D gimbal. The dealer assures me that the H3 3D gimbal had two versions. Mine does not have the Hero backplate connector and the video comes out of the micro USB port, and will work with the Hero 4. Then I read posts from people complaining that the H4 will not work with Lightbridge, but I don't have plans to buy a Lightbridge kit any time soon.

Confused, I am.

CameraGuy said:
Here is a video I shot with the 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqKBqoZ ... r1P4xWZh4Q

Here is a video I shot with the 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4exDUZ ... r1P4xWZh4Q

To me, there is little to compare. The 4 in 4K is amazing. Even if you only use it in 1080, shooting with all those pixels is a great thing!

Hope this helps

D

What an awesome comparison! One video shot in flat light and the other shot in full sun. The one thing tying them together is the cheesy logos.

The reason the Hero 4 is superior is not because of "all those pixels" it's because the processor has been upgraded, the bit rate has been increased in Protune, the dynamic range is better (in low light situations especially), frame rates have been increased, etc.

p.s. the H3B had "all those pixels" too, but only at 15fps.

I'm having connection problems with my 4 Black, and to be honest I can't see any image improvement between the 3+ and the 4. Now filming in 2.7k at 50fps is sweet as hell, and my 3+ Black can't do that.

There are still some bugs to be worked out with the 4, but if you don't mind waiting for the updates, it looks to be a solid camera. If it has to work right now, I'd go with the 3+.

I also did a VERY short vid of the 4 in 1080p@120fps down at our local skate park, link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9UhBCIXmxQ

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9UhBCIXmxQ[/youtube]

CameraGuy said:
Gilbert Gomes said:
What an awesome comparison! One video shot in flat light and the other shot in full sun. The one thing tying them together is the cheesy logos.

The reason the Hero 4 is superior is not because of "all those pixels" it's because the processor has been upgraded, the bit rate has been increased in Protune, the dynamic range is better (in low light situations especially), frame rates have been increased, etc.

There is a word for guys like you. A$$WH0LE.

Show us your work. oh, you don't have any right?

I shot 120 hours of broadcast 4K video this summer for an international TV network. Did you keep your menial labour job?

This is extremely odd.

Rather than explain why you are focusing on singular piece of the puzzle (resolution) you freak out. My comments upset you so I don't have any "work"? My comments upset so I must have a "menial labour job"? That's really weird.

The fact remains that crowing about "4K, 4K, 4K" is silly because it is only one of many factors that affect video quality. For example - I have a video camera that blows away the Hero3+/4 4k footage. Yet the max resolution is 1080. The reason that it blows away the GP footage is because it has a larger sensor, much better processor, multiple quality options including RAW, much better lens(es), control over the shutter angle, etc.

This shouldn't be so confusing for someone who is a self-proclaimed "cameraguy."

p.s. It's also odd that a school bus driver is vainly trying to put folks down by projecting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection) that they have a menial job...

CameraGuy said:
Gilbert Gomes said:

There is a word for guys like you. A$$WH0LE.

Show us your work. oh, you don't have any right?

I shot 120 hours of broadcast 4K video this summer for an international TV network. Did you keep your menial labour job?

OUCH! Need some tougher Skin. Anything you post is going to critiqued, sometimes it might help you see something you missed and sometimes it's going to Pee you off. Since the video was posted as a Quality comparison I'll stay away from the content. Selecting 2160/4K and comparing 720, with my 19" monitor... no difference in quality (except the 2160 is jerky because of the dl speeds). Looking at Darren's video's I understand him going off. Some people here have years in photography, I worked for Fuji Film for 20 years and have been into it since the early 70's (have have a Big Pile of 35mm cameras to prove it).

Back to the OP;
My opinion on the two versions of GoPro's? On the average computer monitor the 3 is excellent but what I also see that's important to me is the difference in the 4's improved low light ability (and if you end up on a BIG screen the improved video will make a difference). I bough the Silver 3+ because I couldn't locate a Black at the time and I've tried to justify the Black (3+) ever since. At this point, I'm glad the GoPro 4's have arrived. :mrgreen: Still struggling with adding another $500 to the P2... I'm getting close to calling the Phantom a Boat. (Bring On Another Thousand)

CaptMike,

You're completely right. I need a thicker skin.

It was his shot about cheesy logo that ticked me off. He is a newbie here, which most likely means without any work to show he's a troll, and I should have known better and let him do it.

I'd welcome anyone who doesn't know about 4K to visit your local big box store and see it first hand. I have a 4K monitor on my desk, a Samsung, and I have now shot with 5 4K cameras. The BlackMagic 4K, The Panasonic GH4, The Sony AX100, the inexpensive Panasonic ZX1000 and now the Hero 4.

In each case, the flexibility of the format - 4K provides so much more than simply the number of pixels. Shooting with the Hero 4 in 4K, and downsizing the pictures to 1080 will give you superior results, as would taking it down to 720. It will look like it was shot on a larger sensor. The ability to stabilize the 4K image to use just a portion of it. The ability to Pan and Scan the 4K image in a 1080 or 720 final image. These are all the abilities that make this camera the natural go to over the 3, or the lesser versions of the 4.

You are right, anything I post will be criticized. I forget that their are people who like the anonymity of the internet to bash others, and obviously the moron that attacked me is one of those people.

I'm semi retired, I take on jobs that I enjoy, and work with people I like. I sometimes think being a contributor can assist people, but then guys like Gomes remind me their is no value to me to trying to help.

So, unless I have a question, I will once again remove myself from contributing to the forum. I'll leave it to you guys with tougher skin :)

Thanks

D

CameraGuy said:
CaptMike,

It was his shot about cheesy logo that ticked me off. He is a newbie here, which most likely means without any work to show he's a troll, and I should have known better and let him do it.

I'd welcome anyone who doesn't know about 4K to visit your local big box store and see it first hand. I have a 4K monitor on my desk, a Samsung, and I have now shot with 5 4K cameras. The BlackMagic 4K, The Panasonic GH4, The Sony AX100, the inexpensive Panasonic ZX1000 and now the Hero 4.

In each case, the flexibility of the format - 4K provides so much more than simply the number of pixels. Shooting with the Hero 4 in 4K, and downsizing the pictures to 1080 will give you superior results, as would taking it down to 720. It will look like it was shot on a larger sensor. The ability to stabilize the 4K image to use just a portion of it. The ability to Pan and Scan the 4K image in a 1080 or 720 final image. These are all the abilities that make this camera the natural go to over the 3, or the lesser versions of the 4.

You are right, anything I post will be criticized. I forget that their are people who like the anonymity of the internet to bash others, and obviously the moron that attacked me is one of those people.

I'm semi retired, I take on jobs that I enjoy, and work with people I like. I sometimes think being a contributor can assist people, but then guys like Gomes remind me their is no value to me to trying to help.

So, unless I have a question, I will once again remove myself from contributing to the forum. I'll leave it to you guys with tougher skin :)

Thanks

D

I think the real problem is that after being here awhile you start to view those type of people as less than human, and then you realize that you're sinking to their level.

I would recommend taking a short break, and gaining your prospective back, It's done wonders for me...for what it's worth. And hang in there man, we're not all asshats...

CameraGuy said:
CaptMike,

Thanks

D

I just learned something I didn't know. Now I need a better Monitor (so I can see 4k)! Part of the problem is it's just the Internet. I had one on another forum where every time I posted he'd take a Poke at me. I was considering flying to California and Choking the Life out of him. Well yes, I did take Anger Management and Passed... The cost was more than the Phantom. Secondly in many cases it's not that we're short on patience but when you are good at what you do, it's easy to take offense. (Yea, I did have to re-word that last part.) Sometimes I'm glad I have a Memory that Sucks.

CameraGuy said:

I agree! You already have a very thick/corpulent body so you're half way there.

CameraGuy said:
It was his shot about cheesy logo that ticked me off.

You only have yourself to blame for that. The logo is cheesy (hey 1990 is calling and they want their cartoon chracter logo back) and if it ticks you off you're way too fragile to be on the net.

CameraGuy said:
He is a newbie here, which most likely means without any work to show he's a troll, and I should have known better and let him do it.

Equating post count to experience and/or knowledge is even sillier than your lame logo.

CameraGuy said:
In each case, the flexibility of the format - 4K provides so much more than simply the number of pixels.

And yet your post that I replied to focused only on those extra pixels. Nice backtracking!

Darren, this is not the first time that you have been schooled about your ludicrous "4K" claims. Given that fact, I am not surprised that you are still mostly clueless.

CameraGuy said:
I'm semi retired,

LOL. Nice dodge. Completely false but it's funny to watch you post this nonsense while trying to defend the crazy stuff that you posted.

I do agree that you will most likely feel better about yourself if you run away from this forum (again!) and don't have to have your idiocy laid out for folks to laugh at.

Cheers!

Only 44 posts here (under this moniker) and that is twice I've seen you attack and bully other members. The personal insults are pretty immature and out of place.

I hope the moderators are keeping an eye on you.

minus the $hit posts, good discussion and video. It would be awesome to see simliar shots of 3 white/silver black, 4, etc....
similar lightings, etc...

I picked up a 3 white in a rush 2 weeks ago before heading to Hawaii and will likely return it this week to upgrade - although, the last two nights did some altitude and neighborhood flying and am still impressed with the 1080/30fps vid even compared to the fc40 camera - which honestly is good except in low light situations.

Hero 4 is focused at a few feet - not much good for shooting stuff at a distance. Same for 3+, I believe.

Stick with the 3.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl