Heretical Thoughts

What you don't see in that description, but is understood and implied , they are saying the person inside the aircraft with their actual hands and feet on the controls, is a pilot.

Ship operators are often called pilots too. As in "we need a pilot to guide us into port." So there.

Ships have been "piloted" long before there were aircraft, manned or not. Aviators stole the term from the mariners.

The USAF calls them 'drone pilots'.

Good enough for me.

TEHO

No, that is called the implied meaning.

You are making assumptions about what you think is implied. It does not state internal only controls and since they are in the business of definitions it makes not sense to imply and not explicitly state. It would be a very poor definition if we have to figure out all the implications.

We are pilots. We don't need to climb inside to be.

If calling yourself a pilot makes you feel better - carry on

If it really matters to you, why not get yourself a cap with the word 'PILOT' in nice big letters for everyone to read

Maybe get yourself a hi-viz as well if you want to feel really, really important.

Me. I'll settle for 'operator' :D

You are making assumptions about what you think is implied. It does not state internal only controls and since they are in the business of definitions it makes not sense to imply and not explicitly state. It would be a very poor definition if we have to figure out all the implications.

We are pilots. We don't need to climb inside to be.
For goodness sake, those descriptions were written before RC was even invented, so of course, it has an implied reference to actual airships that carry people.

If calling yourself a pilot makes you feel better - carry on

Maybe get yourself a hi-viz as well if you want to feel really, really important.

Me. I'll settle for 'operator' :D
Lol. Seems the only folks that take issue with using the term "pilot" in regards to a UAS are those with a license to operate a manned aircraft. Everyone else doesnt seem to have as big an issue either way. Perhaps the "critical thinking" should be more focused on the fact that a certain title does NOT make you any better or more important than those without. As an example, I am a licensed tradesman in 2 different trades, i often hear people that call themselves welders, millwrights, carpenters, etc but are not journeymen. Even though it takes significantly more schooling and practical hours as well as an exam (compared to personal pilot certification) to achieve journeyperson status, nobody bats an eye. Why? Because tradespeople tend to be adults.

Lol. Seems the only folks that take issue with using the term "pilot" in regards to a UAS are those with a license to operate a manned aircraft. Everyone else doesnt seem to have as big an issue either way. Perhaps the "critical thinking" should be more focused on the fact that a certain title does NOT make you any better or more important than those without. As an example, I am a licensed tradesman in 2 different trades, i often hear people that call themselves welders, millwrights, carpenters, etc but are not journeymen. Even though it takes significantly more schooling and practical hours as well as an exam (compared to personal pilot certification) to achieve journeyperson status, nobody bats an eye. Why? Because tradespeople tend to be adults.

I don't have a licence to operate a manned aircraft but I still think anyone that operates (your word) a drone and feels the need to call themselves a pilot and actually get all upset about it on an internet forum, needs to take a good look at their lives :D

I don't have a licence to operate a manned aircraft but I still think anyone that operates (your word) a drone and feels the need to call themselves a pilot and actually get all upset about it on an internet forum, needs to take a good look at their lives :D
Or, when someone uses (your word) but isnt even in the ballpark of what was directly quoted..... they need to take a long look at their posts

Or, when someone uses (your word) but isnt even in the ballpark of what was directly quoted..... they need to take a long look at their posts

Please explain? Maybe you misunderstood my comment - I really don't understand

As an inactive PPL holder I take no offense. I've also been a model aircraft pilot for 4 decades.

+1 with the rest of your post.

As an inactive PPL holder I take no offense. I've also been a model aircraft pilot for 4 decades.

+1 with the rest of your post.
Not trying to imply that you were, only saying the ones that do have an issue are most often a PPL holder. Wasnt trying to make a blanket statement, should have made that clearer.

Please explain? Maybe you misunderstood my comment - I really don't understand
I used operator in regards to manned aircraft and did not use the term drone. Not a fan of having my words skewed to suit someone's agenda is all. I understood your post just fine, and as it was written.

Not trying to imply that you were, only saying the ones that do have an issue are most often a PPL holder. Wasnt trying to make a blanket statement, should have made that clearer.

Yea. All good. I didn't take it as a 'blanket' judgement, personally.

I used operator in regards to manned aircraft and did not use the term drone. Not a fan of having my words skewed to suit someone's agenda is all. I understood your post just fine, and as it was written.

it seems that you didn't understand - my 'agenda' was kinda agreeing with you but ho hum, you carry on getting all upset when you misread what other people say :D

it seems that you didn't understand - my 'agenda' was kinda agreeing with you but ho hum, you carry on getting all upset when you misread what other people say :D
Lol, upset? So when someone calls you out on one of your petty comments that means they are upset?

Lol, upset? So when someone calls you out on one of your petty comments that means they are upset?
you misread my comment and start getting all precious about what you thought you read and then you call my comment (which was pretty much agreeing with what you said) and now you call the same comment 'petty'. do you even speak English?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3