Here's a new experience.....

I love airplanes and it would be a thrill every time I looked up and saw the printing on the underbelly. That said, It surly would be bad for drone flying, and the noise must be very very loud. Cheers To You !!!
I am inline with the north/south runway at our airport (where the EAA is held annually) so I see 1st hand what you're saying during that event. EAA starts next week and the Blue Angels will be here, as well. There will be wood! ;)

Very interesting perspective!

What was the above cloud altitude, and how did you determine lowest cloud level as well as thickness between lowest level and breaking into sunlight?

It was fog rolling in off of the ocean. I could see it coming before it got to me and it didn't look like it was all that high to be able to break through the top of it. I remember thinking as I was ascending that I might not be able to make it to the top, I was at 345' and no sign of blue sky. At 360' I was level with the top of the layer. The highest I got was 410'-415', by accident. I was looking at the scene and forgot that I was still going up.

Here's one of my most viewed videos on my channel. Flew this last fall. The fall colors never panned out, and I had this music track planned for that video. This was shot on a whim while having my coffee.

I'd be concerned about icing while flying through visible moisture. It could be catastrophic. I know of at least one drone crash caused by ice.

SB
Yes this is what id be worried about.can going in to clouds or fog affect the motors/electronics due to the moisture?

In my experience, it would be totally reckless to fly above fog or clouds or for that matter to fly anywhere (e.g. beyond about 2000') where I can't have a clear VLOS of my drone and potential aircraft in the area. When living on a NH lake, there are frequent times when ultra-lights, sea planes, light aircraft and heliocopters fly at tree-top levels. Rules or guides are for safety of pilots in manned aircraft. Flying around a shore line in fog would be a definite "No-No" ... rule or no rule. The really bad situation is that when it's great flying weather on a weekend, you can guarantee the manned aircraft mentioned above are out flying. :-(

Hi guys....

Went for an early morning spin over the South shore bays of Long Island this morning. I was out about 4,000 feet at an altitude of 200 feet when I noticed that the fog was rolling in. I figured that I'd stay in front of it and all will be well. What I hadn't figured was the speed at which the fog was moving! Within seconds of realizing this, my screen went from clear to light gray. I stopped going forward at that point, swung the cam downward and watched the ground beneath me disappear. Now I'm flying on instruments! The cool part about this was being on GPS, and knowing the terrain (no trees, just marshgrass) I took the P3A up to the legal maximum (400' ASL) and broke the fog at about 350'. It was like I was above the clouds...well, I was in a way. Going from terrain to map, I flew above the fog back to my take off point, came down through the fog of which I was now enshrouded with to a good landing. Went back to my cuppa joe and thought about what just happened.....I guess you could say I made an instrument landing!

I remember when I had my Boat at Point Judith RI and use to go out to Block Island. One thing I learned quickly was that you cannot out run Fog! Scary isn't it? Every time I fly I take some time and just use my instruments without looking at the Phantom. I like to go out 800' or so and then flint back to the home point and land. The is good practice and in doing so panic will not set in when a situation such as Fog arrises.

Yes this is what id be worried about.can going in to clouds or fog affect the motors/electronics due to the moisture?

Definitely could, could also cause icing under the right conditions.

For what it's worth I've flown mine in fog and light rain with no problems, you actually make more lift with less power when it's cool and/or humid because the air is more dense. I haven't dissembled my P4 but from what I can see in the battery bay the circuit boards are coated with epoxy or something and should be very water resistant, brushless motors will even run underwater. That being said I wouldn't want to do multiple long flights in high humidity and risk condensing enough water inside the shell to start pooling.

I flew early Father's day morning in a valley below my house it was cool and the air was so thick you could taste the humidity, I flew 14 minutes on just over half a battery and although there was no rain I had actual droplets of water on any exterior surface that wasn't directly in the propwash.

I'd be concerned about icing while flying through visible moisture. It could be catastrophic. I know of at least one drone crash caused by ice.

SB
Other than icing, the quad may suffer corrosion issues due to condensate. The corrosion that may cause electronics failure is a hidden time bomb.

Reactions: BCBasher

Yes, I would be concerned about moisture in any of the electronics –but a rapid build up of ice crystals on your props will cause a crash.

SB

Other than icing, the quad may suffer corrosion issues due to condensate. The corrosion that may cause electronics failure is a hidden time bomb.

Good call, are there many plugged connections inside the AC, what quality of connectors are used?

I'm doubting the use of automotive or aviation grade connectors based on the "don't fly in the rain" in the instructions.

I remember when I had my Boat at Point Judith RI and use to go out to Block Island. One thing I learned quickly was that you cannot out run Fog! Scary isn't it? Every time I fly I take some time and just use my instruments without looking at the Phantom. I like to go out 800' or so and then flint back to the home point and land. The is good practice and in doing so panic will not set in when a situation such as Fog arrises.
I came close to it. Once I took a step back, so to speak, and checked my instruments I became confident again. Coming in with the map view was a first also.

In my experience, it would be totally reckless to fly above fog or clouds or for that matter to fly anywhere (e.g. beyond about 2000') where I can't have a clear VLOS of my drone and potential aircraft in the area. When living on a NH lake, there are frequent times when ultra-lights, sea planes, light aircraft and heliocopters fly at tree-top levels. Rules or guides are for safety of pilots in manned aircraft. Flying around a shore line in fog would be a definite "No-No" ... rule or no rule. The really bad situation is that when it's great flying weather on a weekend, you can guarantee the manned aircraft mentioned above are out flying. :-(
Reckless...yes! If I was purposely heading into the bank. The fog enveloped me. Because of the early morning flying, which I do a lot, I was kind of surprised I hadn't experienced it sooner. Ayyynd......no treetops...all marshland.

Definitely could, could also cause icing under the right conditions.

For what it's worth I've flown mine in fog and light rain with no problems, you actually make more lift with less power when it's cool and/or humid because the air is more dense. I haven't dissembled my P4 but from what I can see in the battery bay the circuit boards are coated with epoxy or something and should be very water resistant, brushless motors will even run underwater. That being said I wouldn't want to do multiple long flights in high humidity and risk condensing enough water inside the shell to start pooling.

I flew early Father's day morning in a valley below my house it was cool and the air was so thick you could taste the humidity, I flew 14 minutes on just over half a battery and although there was no rain I had actual droplets of water on any exterior surface that wasn't directly in the propwash.
The dew point will have a lot to do with it also.

Hi guys....

Went for an early morning spin over the South shore bays of Long Island this morning. I was out about 4,000 feet at an altitude of 200 feet when I noticed that the fog was rolling in. I figured that I'd stay in front of it and all will be well. What I hadn't figured was the speed at which the fog was moving! Within seconds of realizing this, my screen went from clear to light gray. I stopped going forward at that point, swung the cam downward and watched the ground beneath me disappear. Now I'm flying on instruments! The cool part about this was being on GPS, and knowing the terrain (no trees, just marshgrass) I took the P3A up to the legal maximum (400' ASL) and broke the fog at about 350'. It was like I was above the clouds...well, I was in a way. Going from terrain to map, I flew above the fog back to my take off point, came down through the fog of which I was now enshrouded with to a good landing. Went back to my cuppa joe and thought about what just happened.....I guess you could say I made an instrument landing!
That's more like "VFR ON TOP"

Reactions: Signal Tracer
I'll check it out. I'm north of Lido-Pt. Lookout and with the planes on their finals, I doubt if any of them are over a 1,000 ft. I surmise more like 500 -700 ft. When you can read the fine print on the underbelly, you know they're low.
WOW just looked at your airspace and the whole area is like one big nightmare... but here is the rundown for your area and Lido Point you were talking about... Out at the point - facing Jones Beach I think - you are in Class B airspace [shelf] from 1500 ft msl - 7000 msl you are also in a Class E Transitional airspace which starts at 700 ft AGL - this applies from the point to around Sharen Dr or Donna Ln - from there west it turns into another shelf - Class B from +500 MSL to 7000 MSL this until you reach Washington Blvd where it turns into Class B from the SURFACE to 7000 MSL . Don't listen to others, don't even listen to me... do your own research... it is you who will pay the fine if you violate these airspaces.... Aloha and safe flying...

PS: Please read "CONTROLLED" Air Space for all mentions of air space above. Mahalo.

Last edited:
WOW just looked at your airspace and the whole area is like one big nightmare... but here is the rundown for your area and Lido Point you were talking about... Out at the point - facing Jones Beach I think - you are in Class B airspace [shelf] from 1500 ft msl - 7000 msl you are also in a Class E Transitional airspace which starts at 700 ft AGL - this applies from the point to around Sharen Dr or Donna Ln - from there west it turns into another shelf - Class B from +500 MSL to 7000 MSL this until you reach Washington Blvd where it turns into Class B from the SURFACE to 7000 MSL . Don't listen to others, don't even listen to me... do your own research... it is you who will pay the fine if you violate these airspaces.... Aloha and safe flying...

PS: Please read "CONTROLLED" Air Space for all mentions of air space above. Mahalo.
And that's what makes it interesting. But I'm north of that scenario. Go directly north from Point Lookout to Freeport. Look for the foot of Woodcleft Ave. That area is in which I fly. There pretty much has to be a 1,000 acres of clear view with no trees at all. Line of sight is great (except for fog) my alt. limit set at 400'. There's plenty to see a lot lower than that.
...Jim

And that's what makes it interesting. But I'm north of that scenario. Go directly north from Point Lookout to Freeport. Look for the foot of Woodcleft Ave. That area is in which I fly. There pretty much has to be a 1,000 acres of clear view with no trees at all. Line of sight is great (except for fog) my alt. limit set at 400'. There's plenty to see a lot lower than that.
...Jim
I hear ya... Looks like you are in the 15/70 shelf (1,500 - 7,000 MSL) but also in the Class E transitional area... as it looks like most of the Eastern Seaboard and LI are... so the effective floor is 700 AGL. Aloha...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 2.50.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 2.50.39 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 288
I, too, love to see the action above a low cloud layer. I just haven't figured out how going up above the fog/cloud (or around the edge, then up above, then back over the cloud layer) falls into the requirement (or is it just a "suggestion"?) of keeping visual contact with the aircraft at all times. :oops:

Reactions: Signal Tracer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl