Help needed. P3S crashed with Camera partially broken

Reaction score
Hello everybody and this is my first post to this forum and a call in distress.

I crash landed my P3S yesterday (on my second flight of my first drone ever) and broke the camera from the upper and mid gimbal side. The third gimbal and the camera unit is intact.

I am able to fly the drone manually but no GPS connectivity is shown on the DJI app. The drone responds to auto takeoff and auto landing command but no signal is received apparently for GPS as i cant set the location from drone position or app/phone location.

I need to ascertain the damage (apart from the camera) followed by ordering necessary parts and getting this fixed.

Please point me to the post if these questions/situations has been addressed previously.

1. How do i assess the damage after the crash. Is there a way to find out what features /parts are not working through some self test mode?
  2. Are the camera parts available and can this be fixed with new gimbal parts as the camera units and control hardware/firmware and mounts are intact? or buying a new camera is the only option?
Thanks a lot in advance .

The camera & gimbal are sold as a complete unit for $379. You may be able to have your current camera repaired. Doing both would leave you with a spare. Are you getting any telemetry from the aircraft or just no GPS? If the latter open the shell & see if the GPS cable is detached, not fully inserted in its socket, or if the socket is broken. The GPS is attached to the lid under the shielding. If the connector looks good you may have damaged the GPS module. Heat the shielding with a blow dryer, carefully peel it back, & inspect the module for cracking. Before fully detaching the module from the shell use a Sharpie making a line from the center of the module onto the shell so you install it in the same orientation in case it isn't keyed to fit only one way.

Hello everybody and this is my first post to this forum and a call in distress.

I crash landed my P3S yesterday (on my second flight of my first drone ever) and broke the camera from the upper and mid gimbal side. The third gimbal and the camera unit is intact.

I am able to fly the drone manually but no GPS connectivity is shown on the DJI app. The drone responds to auto takeoff and auto landing command but no signal is received apparently for GPS as i cant set the location from drone position or app/phone location.

I need to ascertain the damage (apart from the camera) followed by ordering necessary parts and getting this fixed.

Please point me to the post if these questions/situations has been addressed previously.

1. How do i assess the damage after the crash. Is there a way to find out what features /parts are not working through some self test mode?
  2. Are the camera parts available and can this be fixed with new gimbal parts as the camera units and control hardware/firmware and mounts are intact? or buying a new camera is the only option?
Thanks a lot in advance .

Thankyou so much. I will perform the checks today and let you know.

Though Iam thinking of buying another P3S instead of buying parts. I would have a spare remote, battery and many other parts from my existing drone then.

Decent gimbal yaw arm and cable comes for $ 150 and still no guarantee that parts would work. New GPS module is another 150 I guess.

Am I talking sense??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why dont you contact DJI, they will fix it for you.... no reason to buy another one.

if you do decide to get another one, bestbuy will price match newegg.com for $599, or just buy the drone standalone since you already have the remote.

Why dont you contact DJI, they will fix it for you.... no reason to buy another one.

if you do decide to get another one, bestbuy will price match newegg.com for $599, or just buy the drone standalone since you already have the remote.

Is the price match retro? I bought mine last week from best buy. I am wondering if I present the receipt if they will honor it, its 100 clams.

Is the price match retro? I bought mine last week from best buy. I am wondering if I present the receipt if they will honor it, its 100 clams.

I would talk to the manager, he can probably help you. I would say worst case, you can return it and then do the price match. Did you get the free backpack as well?

I would talk to the manager, he can probably help you. I would say worst case, you can return it and then do the price match. Did you get the free backpack as well?

No, I gotta go back. lol. I didn't know these things. I should have done more research. Thanks. -Joe

Buying another complete P3S makes perfect sense, especially if you snag one from DJI before the 31st - $699 + free hard shell backpack & free shipping.

Thanks again. Unfortunately Iam not in US and can't take advantage of these wonderful offers. But will figure out a way to get my hands on the new bird or parts.

Thanks. Didn't know that the standalone drone can be bought. Any idea on price?

So a friend loaned me his P3S and we used the parts to assess the damage. My camera is working fine and I only need the yaw arm and the ribbon cable to see that working again.

The GPS module also needs to be replaced to bring back the bird in original position.

Where can i find a replacement yaw arm only? Any good or tested one's out there please?

333b39895d48933382a8d70414ed150f.jpg

This is my camera disconnected from the yaw atm and the gimbal mount.

I get another one and how did you crashed land? Were you doing full speed coming down or you hit tree branches or something?

No, I gotta go back. lol. I didn't know these things. I should have done more research. Thanks. -Joe
If you go back, odds are they won't have the hardcase. They gave me their 800 C/S number and they said that no store in the country did. The Rep was really nice and finally gave me to a supervisor when he couldn't find one. She gave me a $150 back on the card I put it on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl