Help! Both antennas broke on my remote!

Reaction score
This happened on the same trip. First the left one broke off and then a few days later the right one ...WTF!! This was probably due to a combination of flimsy antenna connector build and DJI backpack. Yes I placed the strap underneath the antennas but I think the problem is if you don't align the antennas to fit exactly underneath the form cutout, then it forces/flexes the tips of your antennas down...if that makes sense. Which is what I think happened to one or both of my antennas.

In any case, they're both broken off just dangling. Good news is the cables are still connected and I'm able to fly (although the other day I was having erratic video transmission issues). For now I've used electric tape to mickey mouse it together. Any suggestions on the best way to fix? Glue? Tape?

After scouring the forums, it looks like the best solution is to just mod my remote so I can fly my bird 5 miles or so....Uhhh, at this point not really my thing to fly super far. Besides that, the instructions to mod out your remote look a little too involved for my tastes....cutting, drilling, pliers, tweezers, etc.

Using the @dji hardshell backpack, I always place the security strap below both antenna and underneath the metal handle. By the shape of the cutouts on the foam, it apoears to be made for that orientation.
Yes, it takes some planning and execution to change out the RC antenna. But there are folks on this forum, that do this RC customizing stuff for fun...

Perhaps someone here will offer to help you modify your RC. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Most of the antenna mods for the P3 Adv/Pro dont require any cutting or drilling as the existing antenna hole can be used

Reactions: algee650
This happened on the same trip. First the left one broke off and then a few days later the right one ...WTF!! This was probably due to a combination of flimsy antenna connector build and DJI backpack. Yes I placed the strap underneath the antennas but I think the problem is if you don't align the antennas to fit exactly underneath the form cutout, then it forces/flexes the tips of your antennas down...if that makes sense. Which is what I think happened to one or both of my antennas.

In any case, they're both broken off just dangling. Good news is the cables are still connected and I'm able to fly (although the other day I was having erratic video transmission issues). For now I've used electric tape to mickey mouse it together. Any suggestions on the best way to fix? Glue? Tape?

After scouring the forums, it looks like the best solution is to just mod my remote so I can fly my bird 5 miles or so....Uhhh, at this point not really my thing to fly super far. Besides that, the instructions to mod out your remote look a little too involved for my tastes....cutting, drilling, pliers, tweezers, etc.
We have a no drilling solution that allows you to go through the stock antenna holes. Long range may not be your thing, but how about a stronger signal? :)

Let me know if there's anything we can do to help. In the meantime, checkout our website: Maxx UAV - UAV Long Range Solutions

We have a no drilling solution that allows you to go through the stock antenna holes. Long range may not be your thing, but how about a stronger signal? :)

Let me know if there's anything we can do to help. In the meantime, checkout our website: Maxx UAV - UAV Long Range Solutions
when are you going to make a mod for x star

Sounds like a possible option. I think I saw a video on this. Problem is the entire antenna popped - this includes the silver casing part of the antenna. Is that going to be a problem?

Most of the antenna mods for the P3 Adv/Pro dont require any cutting or drilling as the existing antenna hole can be used

Cool! Thanks! The more I watch the DIY videos, the more confident I get with doing it...doesn't require a degree from MIT to do = )

Sounds like a possible option. I think I saw a video on this. Problem is the entire antenna popped - this includes the silver casing part of the antenna. Is that going to be a problem?

Yikes... Not necessarily a problem. You could plug them and then drill new holes in that case. Do you have a picture?

Yikes... Not necessarily a problem. You could plug them and then drill new holes in that case. Do you have a picture?

Yup, here you go...

Attachments

• 14702475986271478933037.jpg
    14702475986271478933037.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 386
You know what... I bet our clean install kit would be perfect for that. The washer fits over the silver ring, it would keep it in place.

You know what... I bet our clean install kit would be perfect for that. The washer fits over the silver ring, it would keep it in place.

Ok, I'll peep out your site and all your options, and go from there.

Question...do you guys offer to do the mod for us? For a fee of course = )

I just checked out your clean install kit. The pics look like I'd need to have the silver ring intact to install???

The installation service is $99, but it's not really difficult. You could either get some omni antennas off of amazon that are similar to stock, or upgrade to the ItElite antenna

Using the @dji hardshell backpack, I always place the security strap below both antenna and underneath the metal handle. By the shape of the cutouts on the foam, it apoears to be made for that orientation.
Yes, it takes some planning and execution to change out the RC antenna. But there are folks on this forum, that do this RC customizing stuff for fun...

Perhaps someone here will offer to help you modify your RC. ;-)

RedHotPoker
I never use that strap in that config; I go over the top of the foam like this...
image.jpg

... to hold the iPad Air in place. I always make sure the foam inserts close completely, making sure nothing is trapped before zipping the case up.

Ah yes, Thee zipper is a good tell tale signal, if it binds.
I place my iPad Air2 above the foam insert too, but just have it in a protective plastic sleeve. Once the foam is reinserted into the lid/back, it holds snug enough.

As long as nothing is compressing the RC, or delicate antennas particularly, it's an aweome enough carrying/storage solution.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Numone
Ah yes, Thee zipper is a good tell tale signal, if it binds.
I place my iPad Air2 above the foam insert too, but just have it in a protective plastic sleeve. Once the foam is reinserted into the lid/back, it holds snug enough.

As long as nothing is compressing the RC, or delicate antennas particularly, it's an aweome enough carrying/storage solution.

RedHotPoker
Like the idea of a plastic sleeve. Nice one RHP! And yeah, for £30 it's a total steal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl