Help assessing second-hand Phantom 3 advanced

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a second hand Phantom 3 advanced drone and would like some advice from experienced people, since I'm very new to the drone business:

- I'm still hesitating between buying either a brand new Phantom 3 standard or a second-hand Phantom 3 advanced. Price is the same (i.e. $500), and the second hand P3A was bought in June (but the seller cannot provide the receipt...), apparently only has less than an hour of fly time and is apparently in perfect conditions. Any recommendations here?

- Before buying a second-hand, I'd like to test it. Given that I'm totally unexperienced, I'm not sure that I'd be the best at doing it. Would someone be interested in helping me testing it this weekend? The test will take place in Melville, NY, so if you live around that would be perfect. However I'll be driving from NYC (Williamsburg) so I can give a lift to anyone in the city. I can compensate for this of course.

Many thanks in advance for your help and precious advice on this.

Burt

I recommend waiting until January to see how prices drop on new/reburbished phantoms. Last year they dropped in January even though they had already dropped for the holidays.

Don't get the standard.
$500 is no great bargain for used but fair
I would be more concerned about some flight data from healthy drones that provides battery cycles and condition and you can see actual flight times.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, much appreciated!

Budman, why do you recommend me not to get the standard? Is the difference very significant between the standard and the advance for a beginner like me?

Mark, thanks a lot for your recommendation, but I'm not sure I'll be able to wait until then...I'm so impatient ;)

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, much appreciated!

Budman, why do you recommend me not to get the standard? Is the difference very significant between the standard and the advance for a beginner like me?
If you're talking the same price then there's no question to get the advanced.
standard uses wifi signal and advanced uses Lightbridge.
Lightbridge is easier to use especially for a beginner and flight range is greater.
I have a standard and got a deal on it. But I have to connect it to wifi. Just one more thing to do.
I have a couple of the advanced models and it's just better all around, imo
I thought the standard was selling for less than $400?
But you'll be upgrading to an advanced in short time

The advanced is worth it. You can have him send you a picture from the go-app that shows how many times the battery was charged and for an hour it was probably 4 times. Some people have all of their flights recorded on the go-app website also and that would also prove the time claimed :)

@Budman the best price I found for the standard is $499...but if you have better deals I'll be happy if you can share!

@Reed L I'll definitely ask him to send a picture of the go-app!

Thanks again for your precious advice guys, much much appreciated!

@Budman the best price I found for the standard is $499...but if you have better deals I'll be happy if you can share!

@Reed L I'll definitely ask him to send a picture of the go-app!

Thanks again for your precious advice guys, much much appreciated!
You can buy direct from DJI a refurb unit for $359 shipped, no tax.
Buy Phantom 3 Standard (Refurbished Unit) | DJI Store
Maybe it was Walmart that had a black Friday special about $389, not sure
I watch slickdeals for phantom deals.
$379 for sam's club, expired though
DJI Phantom 3 Standard Quadcopter Drone for $379 on Nov. 12th at Sams Club 11-01-2016

@Mark The Droner OMG this deal was awesome!! Do not hesitate to let me know if you're aware of similar deals !
Yes I'll definitely read everything that needs to be read before flying..but I'm so impatient that I can probably go all through it in 1 night ;).

@Budman Yes I saw the refurbished units from DJI store. However the shipping won't occur before 20 to 25 business days, i.e. not in 2016 and I can't wait that long :)

@Budman Thanks for the info. However I'd rather buy it locally so that I can make sure everything is ok before paying for it!

I just saw on DJI website that they have refurbished P3A for $639, that seems a pretty good deal don't you think?

@Budman The refurbished P3A is shipped within 3 days of purchase, when the refurbished P3S is shipped within 21 to 25 days! Therefore I should have it shortly !
However will look at the website you mentioned, thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor