Hello from Lancashire UK

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have had many different drones in the past and considered myself decent with the sticks until today...... I decided I was going to buy something decent. So a phantom 3 arrived this evening. You may all laugh as I opened the box and the horror and realisation that I am no longer dealing with a little plastic toy as in the past. Yikes I have not even unpacked it yet and I am scared to death of the first flight. Maybe i will just put it on a shelf as a talking point :) and stick with ths little rubbish toys. Then again......

A phantom 3 at 57 km/h and in eye height buzzing angrily towards you is a scary thing indeed. But have no fear,-it almost flies itself and it's remarkably stable in the air, and it does what you tell it to do. Weird behaviour is almost exclusively pilot related.
On my first flight I performed auto take off and auto landing and let it hover six feet up, and then I called it a day and took the drone home.
Now I'm practising manual take off and landing and only let it fly about a 100 feet away.
I have a very small piece of plywood that I land on and it gets easier by the minute to land accurately.
The P3 is nothing like flying a RC-plane or copter. This thing is very intelligent.
Take small steps and you won't loose it, crash or slit the throats of innocent onlookers.

Reactions: Dpress
Welcome. I too started on the toy ones, syma the a hubsan 501. The phantom is a friendly beast and once used to it you'll enjoy it.
The noise of the motors put me off a bit at first, but all good now.
Enjoy

Hi there and welcome. I have been flying a Phantom 2 vision plus since March 201 and have made over 200+ flights without any major issues, and have about 60 videos on YouTube mostly of where I live at South Shields. The best advice I can give you is..... Get used to doing each flight in the same order. 1) Check ALL your kit twice before setting off out. 2) Set up the gear in the same way every time before you fly. 3) Calibrate the compass before flying. 4) Check your surroundings before flying. 5) If you get stuck or confused just let it hover, and regroup your thoughts. 6) When you are finished check all your kit Twice before going home. Ps. I find if I want to check out a place to video of photo I use Google Earth, and I can measure the distances from my take off point to the furthest point of my range, and I find it helps a lot by doing a preflight reconnaissance. I hope these tips help and good luck and safe flying. Regards Ian.

Welcome to PhantomPilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Hello everyone. I have had many different drones in the past and considered myself decent with the sticks until today...... I decided I was going to buy something decent. So a phantom 3 arrived this evening. You may all laugh as I opened the box and the horror and realisation that I am no longer dealing with a little plastic toy as in the past. Yikes I have not even unpacked it yet and I am scared to death of the first flight. Maybe i will just put it on a shelf as a talking point :) and stick with ths little rubbish toys. Then again......
Welcome. I'm near BOLTON lancs and have 2 p3ps and love them great machines.have fun.

Thanks for all your replys guys. They are very encouraging, while I wait for the perfect weather. (That might take a while winter in the nothwest of england) I will begin to familiarise myself with the new kit and read the manual a few times. Can't believe I said that be the first time I have read a maual for anything even once. :)

Hi, never forget that there is no such thing as a silly question. I live in "Geordie-Land" so good luck with the weather watching as we will both have the same extra hobby until Spring. Regards Ian.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Hi from Manchester all I can say as a newbie is first time out try and find a big open space which not many people about if possible that way you can get the feel of it without worrying about your surroundings or people

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT