Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. Long Islander

HI everyone, I started out with a zmna quad copter to learn how to fly. It was a small challenge which was overcome after practice.

Yesterday I bought a Phantom 4, reading reviews, the ease of obstacles avoidance etc was a great sales point for me.

So I will be reading many posts before I start a new topic, to avoid duplicate posts.

I have a Samsung S5 right now (i have NOT flown my new P5 yet).

First Im seeing to get a ipad mini 2 maybe? or a ipad 2 used? (any pointers to avoid let me know)

But I want to welcome myself.

#1 Long Islander, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Reed L likes this.
  2. alokbhargava

You need a good performance tablet to get good streaming results. See how much you can invest in and then decide what to buy.

3. Long Islander

Yea I figured, anyone to avoid?

I dont see the need to buy a new tablet for this hobby, Im happy buying ANY model used.

4. JWarren

I can highly recommend an iPad Air 2 with cellular.

5. Long Islander

Oh wait I need cell access? Why?

6. JWarren

No sir, you don't have to have it. I'll let others more able than myself explain the benefits

7. chapy23

Why it say cellular, it's because of the GPS chip inside the device.
    You will need that to use some features of your P4 (smartphone/tablet tracking, and re-allocate the home point of the P4). Hope it help, that was a quick explanation. You can read more here. Just use the search function, your best friend :)

8. George Race

Really do like the iPad Air 2. Great screen, lower reflection than most, which really helps out in bright sun light. There are some great used one available on eBay.

Great_Lakes likes this.
  9. JWarren

Hoodman also makes a nice cover for it.

10. Long Islander

Wait so if I don't have a cell version it will not have certain GPS features? If I get a used ipad cellular do i need to establish cell service or can I just buy it and not activate the cell portion but use the cell features?
    Thanks for your help!

11. chapy23

The device with cellular have GPS builtin, there is no need of montly 3G service.

12. Long Islander

13. WWK888

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information here and many experienced pilots that are more than willing to share their knowledge with you. The learning curve on the P4 is pretty easy but there is much to learn. I would suggest you find a nice open field with no obstacles to practice flying and getting a feel for the bird. It is very easy to fly in P and S mode but I would recommend practicing in Atti mode in case you have an emergency such as loss of satellites.

Also review the procedures for updating your bird and controller before you attempt to do it. Sometime the sequence that you update is very important. Good luck and happy flying.

14. Long Islander

I didnt know there was a proper way? I watched all the DJI tutorials and no mention. Any pointers sir?

15. r62ewa

Always update the firmware on the Phantom before the controller. If you do the controller first you will break the link and will have to downgrade your controller to get it back.

16. Chopstix Kid

17. GKPK

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
    Another Long Islander here, from Huntington.
    Have fun with your drone, and be safe.

18. Long Islander

As an update I bought a mini 2 with cell (used) for 180 at
    https://glyde.com

Also, I need to get another battery.

I bought this case: MC-cases [$179] allows you to keep the props on.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CD403RA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been reading that there are TWO types of 'batteries' based on the LED colors? Before I get another battery, thoughts?

Also, this weekend was windy, I didn't fly it a lot. How is the wind with these drones? Should I be afraid?

I did notice some images/videos stored on my Cellphone (Samsung S5) as well as on the P4. Have to figure that out as to why. I read its from fast pics it just stores it on the phone too?

There's my 21 mins fly time update

19. Great_Lakes

I've read on these forums that some lower end ipads can overheat during flight and stop streaming. I also heard on this forum that the ipad air 2 will perform without overheating. I just bought one a couple of days ago. I don't have enough long flights to comment on the overheating part, but otherwise it works great and will fit in the phantom 3 pro holder if it's not in a case.

Long Islander likes this.
  20. WWK888

I had the mini 2 but found it got really hot after flying for awhile. I upgraded to the mini 4 as it has a better processor (A8) and found it did not get nearly as warm as the mini 2. The air pad 2 should be good.

As far as the batteries...there is only one LED color (green) but there is a difference in brightness. They are both the same however as far specs and performance.

It is always good to cache the video and pics on your device. In the event you lose your AC you will at least have the video which may help you locate it or explain why it went down.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

#20 WWK888, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Great_Lakes likes this.