Hello everyone from Columbus

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is Himadri and I stay in Dublin, OH. I recently bought a Phantom 4 Pro but have not flown it yet. I see that B4UFLY detects 5 airports (mostly helipads) where I live and I am really having a hard time figuring out where I can try flying the drone. I am curious if someone knows where we can fly drones in Dublin, OH or in Columbus.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Reactions: mehimadri
Welcome to the forum Himadri .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Hello Everyone,

My name is Himadri and I stay in Dublin, OH. I recently bought a Phantom 4 Pro but have not flown it yet. I see that B4UFLY detects 5 airports (mostly helipads) where I live and I am really having a hard time figuring out where I can try flying the drone. I am curious if someone knows where we can fly drones in Dublin, OH or in Columbus.

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Looking at the sectional, the only airport that you might have a problem with is OSU and if you are west of 270, you should be outside their Class D space and far enough from Columbus International not to worry about it. So all you need to do is to call any airports ( contact the airport manger or tower if the have one) within 5 miles of where you want to fly and "notify" them where, when and how high you will be flying. Helipads give all of us fits, not knowing who or if to call. Try the number given in the app and keep a record of your attempts. Bolton and OSU both have towers, Columbus Southwest doesn't. PS, if you haven't yet, don't forget to register with the FAA here Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's. Don't go to any other scamming sites. It's $5 for 3 years and you immediately get you registration and number to display on your bird.

Yes, registered my RC in FAA.com the day it arrived. Thank you. I will try contacting the airports/heliports. The app B4UFLY lists down the following airspace restrictions: OSU Class D (as you also mentioned in your reply). I will call them to ask for permission before I fly. Add to this, I also see 6 airports within 5 miles in the App and they are as follows:
Stouffer's Dublin (1.4 mil), Red Roof Inns (2.09 mil), OSU (3.75 mil), Medflight (4.03 mil), Parknavy (4.56 mil) and Miami Valley (4.84 mil).
Now, my question is - Should I be asking for permission from the airports that is listed under airspace restrictions (in which case it is the OSU) or should I also call all the 6 airports that are listed under - airports within 5 miles.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
First let's get the semantics. As a hobby flier, you aren't actually asking permission,you are notifying the airports. Yes, they can tell you not to fly, but they have to have a reasonable reason to, such as some unusual flight activity going on when you want to fly. But they are only requesting that you not fly. Of course, if you do after they asked you not to, the FAA may consider that reckless. You definitely want to call OSU. There has been a lot of discussion on these forums about calling heliports (which all of the others are), consensus is make an honest attempt to call them then just keep an eye out for helos! Most of the time, we can't find anyone to talk to. I would make a greater effort to talk to the Medflight folks. They could be coming from anywhere and in a hurry. Might even talk to them early to establish procedure for notifying them. But, again, don't approach them that you are asking for permission, but that you want to follow the FAA guidelines and keep everyone safe. Let us know ho the talks go, others on the forum are wrestling with the same issues.

Hello Everyone,

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Hello friend,
I'm in Columbus and am fairly new at flying the Phantom but would be happy to share what flying sites I have found. Maybe we could meet and fly sometime.
Take care
John

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl