Height from where?

No need for a laser. I have gps, and I need a simple map that shows the surface level above sea level. Simple. No?
Yes, simple, except you need a very up to date and pretty detailed map of ground levels, buildings, trees, and anything else that may obstruct the flight path for this to be useful. How would you manage that?

I don't know where the 500 brigade are coming from......the drone is 550m above take off point.
The 500 figure only relates to the top of the mountain.
LOL o_O
I assume the take off point is where the pilot is, i.e. 50 m above sea level. See drawing.
So, 500 m above take off point is 550 m above sea level. And 550 m above sea level is 50 m above mountain top since the mountain top is 500 m above sea level.
And the pilot is very male. See drawing. I don't know if OP is implying that his "anatomy" is that impressive.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Yes, simple, except you need a very up to date and pretty detailed map of ground levels, buildings, trees, and anything else that may obstruct the flight path for this to be useful. How would you manage that?

Unfortunatly you are right. No way to manage this much info. I have to find a different solution....

LOL o_O
I assume the take off point is where the pilot is, i.e. 50 m above sea level. See drawing.
So, 500 m above take off point is 550 m above sea level. And 550 m above sea level is 50 m above mountain top since the mountain top is 500 m above sea level.
And the pilot is very male. See drawing. I don't know if OP is implying that his "anatomy" is that impressive.
This one could run and run..........what makes you think the top of the mountain is 500m above sea level? The original post says the pilot is 50m above sea level, standing at the bottom of a mountain which is 500m high..... top of mountain is 550m above sea level.

Reminds me of one of those word problems we used to get on math tests in 3rd grade.

Retired math teacher here. **** right!! :)

BTW, that stick man is hung like a racehorse. Just sayin'

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
550 meters above take off is the right answer. Forget about the sea level stuff... that's a red herring.

The pilot is standing at the bottom or base of a mountain that's 500 meters high. The drone is 50 meters above the mountain. Therefore, the drone is 550 meters above the take off point (assuming the take off point is where the pilot is). And yes, the pilot is built like a horse!

Reactions: N017RW
If the little line marked 50 meters is correct then the mountain is at least 565 meters tall and the P3 will crash into the mountain 15 meters BEFORE it reaches the summit.

If the little line marked 50 meters is correct then the mountain is at least 565 meters tall and the P3 will crash into the mountain 15 meters BEFORE it reaches the summit.

Ok. Tuff people here...Lets pretend i did the 500 limit hack.

Oh dear the most simple posts from today have received the funniest, confused straight answers in a while. Ah man I love this site at times :D:D:D

Reactions: Pulsar747n
I think a little explanation of Above Ground Level (AGL) and Mean Sea Level (MSL) is an order:

AGL altitudes are measured from the altitude of the ground immediately below where you or the Phantom is located sitting on the ground. MSL altitudes are measured from a standard datum, which is roughly equal to the average altitude of the ocean. So, a Phantom flying at 50 feet AGL directly above a mountain that's 500 feet MSL tall would have an altitude of 50 feet AGL and 550 feet MSL. If the Phantom takes off from 50 feet MSL and flys to 50 feet AGL over the 500 feet mountain, then the altitude of the Phantom will be:

50 feet AGL.
550 feet MSL.
500 feet over the point of take off and what the display indicates.

AGL altitudes are important for obvious reasons (terrain clearance), but MSL altitudes are also very important. The atmosphere has roughly the same air density at a given MSL altitude. Altitude of mountain peaks are usually given in MSL. Altitude of towers, buildings, etc are given in AGL. Denver is at 5280 feet elevation MSL.
From the FAA point of view and in reference to UAS, we are asked to fly not higher than 400/500 feet AGL. So if you fly in Denver at 100 feet AGL, you will be flying 5380 feet MSL but only 100 feet over where you took off.
Now, if you are at the beach in San Diego and fly at 100 feet, you will be flying very close to 100 feet MSL and AGL.
I believe that the Phantom gets its altitude information from both the onboard GPS and Barometer (A few high end portable GPS do). The Barometer is also the back up sensor in case you loose the GPS signal, but the barometer is not very reliable because it is subject to air density which is constantly changing due to elevation, high and low pressures in the atmosphere and temperature. Look at a barometric pressure chart for any given day and you will see what I am talking about.
The GPS usually reports altitude in MSL. Both the GPS and the Barometer signals are used in calculations to determine the elevation of the Phantom and then uses that calculated elevation as the zero elevation. The altitude shown on the display is the altitude above the zero elevation once you are in the air.
Other sensors in the Phantom that help with the altitude issue are the down sensing camera and the ultrasonic sensors, but those only help under 10 feet.

I hope this helps and that I did not bored you to death!

Reactions: Itay
The drone will crash into the top of the mountain since you are limited to 500m by the DJI GO app. You will have to find said drone and send it to DJI for repair and when you explain that you were flying at 500m when it crashed they will deny the claim.

:rolleyes:

The Phantoms, to date, make no use of GPS for altitude. It's strictly barometer.

I wish the Phantom also reported altitude above sea level. I know GPS isn't perfect, but I'd be happy with a GPS level of altitude accuracy. Height above where I took off is all well and good, but absolute altitude would be useful for me when doing my mountain flying.

Last edited:
I wish the Phantom also reported altitude above sea level. I know GPS isn't perfect, but I'd be happy with a GPS level of altitude accuracy. Height above where I took off is all well and good, but absolute altitude would be useful for me when doing my mountain flying.
You wouldn't be happy with GPS level of altitude above sea level, it's useless hence why it's not used. You'd be better off buying a standalone altimeter on amazon

The real question is how far from the take off point is the pilot's member?
I hope far enough he don't end up like this :eek:
phantomheight.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl