Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Head lights

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Essex Thunder, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Essex Thunder

I've been thinking of trying to wire a forward facing and a downward facing light onto the front arms of P3P. I was going to try and wire it directly to the red led power wire, so I can control the on/off from the transmitter. Anyone done this and or have suggestions?

2. Ed209

Would be cool to mount it on the camera somehow. That way you can aim it up, down or in between. But this would probably stress the gimbal motor I'm thinking.

3. jearith

I fitted an LED light on the front of the Phantom 3A it sits just below the micro USB port. Consists of 4 super bright LED which can be configured at touch of a switch to be on or flash in various modes. It only weighs 4grams and comes complete with power controller and a kit to wire it into the existing battery terminals. I got my off Ebay but be careful some are 'blue' and not so good and the super bright "white" LED i have. If you have them on at night and want to shoot movie you need to fit the sun shade to the Camera lens or you see the bean of the light reflected. Is any easy fit and can be removed easily if you need to return for warranty to DJI. I have used a few times and i see no impact on flight times.

4. ELHEAPO

WHY!!

5. jearith

Thats any easy answer when i fly at night i need a good quality light source to tell me where the Quad is. The inbuilt indicators are useless after a few metres.

6. ELHEAPO

If your not interested in filming than fair enough but a light we play havoc with your camera settings etc i can see it benefiting in any way!!

7. CCDD

I think the built in lights are amazing and can be seen from a mile or more.

8. mikecorn1

Do you have the link to the LED lights you purchased. I am curious to see them. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. With The Birds

Interesting project. Please keep us informed of any progress. Could also use it to light paint a subject for a tripod mounted camera.

10. RoyVa

If in the US the FCC frowns upon night flying. Did you register?

11. jearith

mikecorn1 likes this.
  12. jearith

they are held in position with nothing more than some 3M sticky tape when they are on i can see them for over 500 metre

mikecorn1 likes this.
  13. jearith

Im don't live in USA and here in China we have no restrictions yet. No GEO no hight restrictions etc. I do have a CAA licence from UK but we don't have to register like you poor guys (YET) i do have a professional licence but havnt found a reason to use it yet.
    I love night flights it gives a very different perspective on images but i don't do anything too risky.(im sure you know about the golden hour) I made a flight down a large section of the Great Chinese Wall late at night as the sun was setting it was spectacular and I wouldn't have risked it if i didn't have the lights to guide it back home.

NRJ and flyboy73 like this.
  14. Essex Thunder

A link to the one with the four bright LEDs would be nice. Thank you for your input. I've seen the mounting to the battery, I think your talking about.
    I'm suggesting wiring it to the front arm red lights. My thoughts are, I could turn them on and off with the pre existing switch in the DJI app.
    As for the naa sayers on this thread. I hear all the time, why? Why not? Because I can! Because I think it would be fun! Because good is never good enough. Because if I do this along with enough other people, people a lot smarter than me will make things better than what I and we come up with here. How bout just because.
    Thank you all for the ideas

NRJ likes this.
  15. MedinaTaylor

I don't think the FCC cares what you do with your drone, unless you are rebroadcasting major league baseball without the express written permission of the MLB.

The FAA might though...

NRJ likes this.
  16. Crunch97

Why are people trying to police everyone all the time

NRJ likes this.
  17. jearith

Not sure about connecting to the front arm led, i think you will find the led on the Phantom is current limited and the voltage my not be correct for the torch light led.

Essex Thunder likes this.
  18. Air Ontario

Ever seen a 5 gal. bucket of blue crabs?
    As soon as one crab climbs up to the top and just before climbing out, another one will pull him back in. They just can't stand for one crab to get ahead.

I turn my landing lights on when birds are bad like nesting season and early/late in the day. It helps keep them away from the plane.

I suspect it will do the same on the drone. Lights may be a benefit day and night.

Mark The Droner and NRJ like this.
  19. Mark The Droner

Interesting. I never thought of that.