Head lights

Reaction score
I've been thinking of trying to wire a forward facing and a downward facing light onto the front arms of P3P. I was going to try and wire it directly to the red led power wire, so I can control the on/off from the transmitter. Anyone done this and or have suggestions?

Would be cool to mount it on the camera somehow. That way you can aim it up, down or in between. But this would probably stress the gimbal motor I'm thinking.

I fitted an LED light on the front of the Phantom 3A it sits just below the micro USB port. Consists of 4 super bright LED which can be configured at touch of a switch to be on or flash in various modes. It only weighs 4grams and comes complete with power controller and a kit to wire it into the existing battery terminals. I got my off Ebay but be careful some are 'blue' and not so good and the super bright "white" LED i have. If you have them on at night and want to shoot movie you need to fit the sun shade to the Camera lens or you see the bean of the light reflected. Is any easy fit and can be removed easily if you need to return for warranty to DJI. I have used a few times and i see no impact on flight times.

I've been thinking of trying to wire a forward facing and a downward facing light onto the front arms of P3P. I was going to try and wire it directly to the red led power wire, so I can control the on/off from the transmitter. Anyone done this and or have suggestions?
WHY!!

If your not interested in filming than fair enough but a light we play havoc with your camera settings etc i can see it benefiting in any way!!

I think the built in lights are amazing and can be seen from a mile or more.

I fitted an LED light on the front of the Phantom 3A it sits just below the micro USB port. Consists of 4 super bright LED which can be configured at touch of a switch to be on or flash in various modes. It only weighs 4grams and comes complete with power controller and a kit to wire it into the existing battery terminals. I got my off Ebay but be careful some are 'blue' and not so good and the super bright "white" LED i have. If you have them on at night and want to shoot movie you need to fit the sun shade to the Camera lens or you see the bean of the light reflected. Is any easy fit and can be removed easily if you need to return for warranty to DJI. I have used a few times and i see no impact on flight times.
Do you have the link to the LED lights you purchased. I am curious to see them. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting project. Please keep us informed of any progress. Could also use it to light paint a subject for a tripod mounted camera.

If in the US the FCC frowns upon night flying. Did you register?

Im don't live in USA and here in China we have no restrictions yet. No GEO no hight restrictions etc. I do have a CAA licence from UK but we don't have to register like you poor guys (YET) i do have a professional licence but havnt found a reason to use it yet.
I love night flights it gives a very different perspective on images but i don't do anything too risky.(im sure you know about the golden hour) I made a flight down a large section of the Great Chinese Wall late at night as the sun was setting it was spectacular and I wouldn't have risked it if i didn't have the lights to guide it back home.

Reactions: NRJ and flyboy73
A link to the one with the four bright LEDs would be nice. Thank you for your input. I've seen the mounting to the battery, I think your talking about.
I'm suggesting wiring it to the front arm red lights. My thoughts are, I could turn them on and off with the pre existing switch in the DJI app.
As for the naa sayers on this thread. I hear all the time, why? Why not? Because I can! Because I think it would be fun! Because good is never good enough. Because if I do this along with enough other people, people a lot smarter than me will make things better than what I and we come up with here. How bout just because.
Thank you all for the ideas

Reactions: NRJ

I don't think the FCC cares what you do with your drone, unless you are rebroadcasting major league baseball without the express written permission of the MLB.

The FAA might though...

Reactions: NRJ
A link to the one with the four bright LEDs would be nice. Thank you for your input. I've seen the mounting to the battery, I think your talking about.
I'm suggesting wiring it to the front arm red lights. My thoughts are, I could turn them on and off with the pre existing switch in the DJI app.
As for the naa sayers on this thread. I hear all the time, why? Why not? Because I can! Because I think it would be fun! Because good is never good enough. Because if I do this along with enough other people, people a lot smarter than me will make things better than what I and we come up with here. How bout just because.
Thank you all for the ideas

Not sure about connecting to the front arm led, i think you will find the led on the Phantom is current limited and the voltage my not be correct for the torch light led.

Reactions: Essex Thunder
Why are people trying to police everyone all the time

Ever seen a 5 gal. bucket of blue crabs?
As soon as one crab climbs up to the top and just before climbing out, another one will pull him back in. They just can't stand for one crab to get ahead.

I turn my landing lights on when birds are bad like nesting season and early/late in the day. It helps keep them away from the plane.

I suspect it will do the same on the drone. Lights may be a benefit day and night.

I turn my landing lights on when birds are bad like nesting season and early/late in the day. It helps keep them away from the plane.

I suspect it will do the same on the drone. Lights may be a benefit day and night.
Interesting. I never thought of that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl