Have DBS antenna need amp recomendations

DBS antenna kit
Sunhans 3w gold amps
Anker 13400 mah dual USB out battery pack to power the amps
Some shorter 90deg SMA cables, white plastic sheet, and misc hardware from amazon

Sunhans 3w amps are about $90 each on amazon.
Misc hardware/materials... $40
Anker power pack $35
SMA cables $40
DBS antenna kit $100

You can save money and just get the 2.5w amps. From what I gather there isn't a noticeable performance difference. But I used the 3w gold because they are more power friendly and allowed me to use the Anker power pack that is only 5v. Not 12v like the 2.5w amps require. If you go this route you will need the blue 12v lipo pack everyone is using and a splitter to power 2 amps.

Last edited:
Stock my range is great LOS, as far as I want to go. However, if even so much as a small stand of trees gets in between I lost connection at anymore than 2500ft. Does anyone know if the DBS mods panel plus boosters would get me enough penetration to go through at least a small group of trees?

Attachments

• 1458972534893.jpg
    1458972534893.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 330
How is it that one amplifier can power both sides of the antenna?
They make dual channel input/output amps in a single amp body. I think they are only offered in a 2W as far as I know. Another aspect of this is the power input... I considered this setup but I didn't think the 5V 2A power supply would be enough to power it on a single line in.

Stock my range is great LOS, as far as I want to go. However, if even so much as a small stand of trees gets in between I lost connection at anymore than 2500ft. Does anyone know if the DBS mods panel plus boosters would get me enough penetration to go through at least a small group of trees?

The DBS is a decent improvement over stock and definitely works better by itself while flying close range behind trees. I would recommend it by itself as well as boosted. I think you are getting your money's worth from it at $100.

Reactions: NormanNormal
Jake at maxxuav.com has some great kits with mounts and amps. Great products and great service
It looks like he went the same route I did with the 3w gold Sunhans and the same Anker power pack.
Looks like a nice bracket. I have just as much tied up in my setup as he is charging. If anyone is looking for a complete setup this is a great option.

It looks like he went the same route I did with the 3w gold Sunhans and the same Anker power pack.
Looks like a nice bracket. I have just as much tied up in my setup as he is charging. If anyone is looking for a complete setup this is a great option.

His setup is the cleanest ive seen. Its the way I would go.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
The DBS is a decent improvement over stock and definitely works better by itself while flying close range behind trees. I would recommend it by itself as well as boosted. I think you are getting your money's worth from it at $100.

Thanks. I have the panel. Just need to do the cable install. Ill let you guys know.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Progress with new radio.

I decided to just drill holes instead of modifying the thumb wheel mounts this time around.

Made a bottom plate to mount battery and amps. Amps ended up not fitting well after I heated up the plate and bent it up to angle the antenna up a little. I did a quick dirty mount on back of the tablet mount for now for testing.

I had to go back down to the rig in south Texas for a few weeks again. I'm gonna keep working on a solution to mount amps on the tray. May just need to make a longer tray so I can mount them on top of it between antenna and radio.

New cables are ordered now that I know what lengths and fittings I need to clean it up.

Still too windy/rainy here to test long range. Maybe tomorrow the wind will lay down enough to test it out.

I was worried about the Anker 13400 power bank because when I was testing with the amps it was shutting off power to the amps as part of its overcharge safety feature. Fortunately as long as the radio is on and the amps are using power the power bank stays on and there is no issue.

View attachment 44958 View attachment 44959 View attachment 44961 View attachment 44962 View attachment 44963

What amps are those? Make and model?? Looks awesome!

Thanks, works very well too. Check post 121 at top of page for specs ;-)

DBS antenna kit
Sunhans 3w gold amps
Anker 13400 mah dual USB out battery pack to power the amps
Some shorter 90deg SMA cables, white plastic sheet, and misc hardware from amazon

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor