Has tech hit a wall...

No disrespect but the P4P is far superior to the P4. I went from a P3A to the P4P and absolutely love it.
My P4P+ flew perfectly until the ‘602’ firmware update ... I, as many others, had to downgrade to ‘503’ version to get stability back (unfortunately this option was later pulled by DJI) ... this is a problem as far as I am concerned ... to release a version of firmware that causes issues that didn’t exist with the previous version of loaded software. That is unacceptable in my book. At least re-release a ‘fixed’ version after all of the identified issues started pouring in. Still waiting since May of this year for that to appear.

Mine has always focused and flown just fine, but no matter what I do, I cannot zoom on the camera, I have checked, rechecked, and checked again my settings. There are a lot of folks with this issue out there.
The reason that you can't zoom is that P4 pro has a fixed focal length lens - it has no zoom capability.
Firmware will never "fix" that.

The reason that you can't zoom is that P4 pro has a fixed focal length lens - it has no zoom capability.
Firmware will never "fix" that.
I read that too, but I thought he meant the pinch zoom on the screen. I use IOS devices, but I never cared to use zoom. It is possible there are those out there believing their bird's camera has that optical ability.

I read that too, but I thought he meant the pinch zoom on the screen. I use IOS devices, but I never cared to use zoom. It is possible there are those out there believing their bird's camera has that optical ability.
I have the P4P+ and the only time I ever see it zoom is when I tap the screen to focus on a particular area ... then it returns to the normal view after focusing. I have never seen an option to zoom-in the camera for picture-taking or video filming. Can you do that with the P4P+?

This is indeed what I was talking about. I do thank you folks for straightening me out. I truly mean that. Anytime someone can put me on the right path, I am truly grateful. The pinch and zoom works great on my Mavic Pro, but I just cannot figure out what I am missing on the Phantom 4 Pro. Now as far as my original post about DJI basically hitting the wall, I think what they need to do is put out a questionnaire of sorts. My two big issues is flight time and distance.

I’ll tell you something would really be nice on the next Phantom model. One would be where a person could change the camera out for any number of devices. Develop an SDK with standard I/O calls so as long as a company could manufacture a device that uses those same I/O calls, it could easily plug in and all work from one standard remote. This of course would be a removable camera assembly. Pop off the camera and pop on a FLIR with an optional water flotation device so you can easily convert the same drone you took real estate photos with earlier that day to a device to a first responder drone that can look for, locate and communicate GPS coordinates back, and drop flotation devices to people trapped in water, snow, ice, whatever. Have another package ready for the drone that would perform atmospheric tests on air quality, ozone, etc. You options would be limitless. But the key is that DJI needs to develop a cost effective drone with the removable gimbal and also make that interface where the gimbal attaches where it uses a specific set of commands from the remote and/or the DJI Go 4 app or whatever standalone app a person or company needs to write.
The other thing I would personally love to see is a drone that is waterproof not water resistant, waterproof. I am not looking to develop an underwater drone here, though it could be done, no, I can see people using drones in bad weather like rain, snow, for inspections for leaks on roofs to issues on bridges and highways. If there is an accident and the drone drops in the water, then you hop in a boat and go get the drone back. No muss, no fuss. Lol. Just my thoughts on this.

I too would love to see a third party camera interchangability. They may lose some money on replacement service and parts, but they would probably gain more customers and keep fresh innovation going on the platform as a whole.

I too would love to see a third party camera interchangability. They may lose some money on replacement service and parts, but they would probably gain more customers and keep fresh innovation going on the platform as a whole.
It's called Inspire. Camera is removable. Or M210. Third parties can make cameras.

Anyone that needs FLIR technology is doing commercial work. That would justify investing in an inspire or M210. These drones are cheaper than professional cameras that don't fly, cheaper than many professional ground based camera lenses by themselves.

Sure, I'd like a new Mercedes for $10k too, but that's just not going to happen anytime soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic