Has anyone here NOT crashed a drone?

I just got a Phantom 3 Standard as my first drone. I plan on being super conservative with it. I got to do mostly family aerial video and high B roll. Nothing too far away.

I’m a little concerned because it seems like everyone says that no matter what you will eventually crash your drone. I don’t really have the funds to replace it. So I am wondering if it’s possible to not crash if you’re careful.

I just got a Phantom 3 Standard as my first drone. I plan on being super conservative with it. I got to do mostly family aerial video and high B roll. Nothing too far away.

I’m a little concerned because it seems like everyone says that no matter what you will eventually crash your drone. I don’t really have the funds to replace it. So I am wondering if it’s possible to not crash if you’re careful.
I’ve been

I have flown 3 of my quads for 3 years, I’ve never crashed, I am ultra careful, a laminated check list hangs from each of my transmitters. KP check wind strength and lots more. I’m sure if you spend time on pre-flight checks you will never crash. Robert Kelly.

P3s here for 5 months. Two mishaps, first time I got too close to a weeping willow tree (I have since had it removed, lol, but I really did) clipped a branch and it landed on it's side in the mud, no damage just a little clean up. The second mishap was was I had just landed and I thought I was trying to turn off the motors but the Phantom leaned backwards just enough to scuff 2 props. Rookie mistake. Both were operator error. It came with a set of spare props but after that I ordered even another set just in case. Other than that I have had two instances where a large black bird tried to hit it. Once at 180 feet and once at 20 feet. So, for me I now watch out for the black birds and trees. Another poster stated to follow procedures and I completely agree. I make sure my batteries for the P3s and the tablet are fully charged, I make sure to double check my props for scuff or flaws as well as being secure, inspect the gimble. Then I go onto tho the screen menu to calibrate the compass, IMU, check my settings etc. Yes it takes a few extra minutes but I think it's worth the extra time, for me anyway.

I believe it is possible to fly a drone without crashing. The problem I think with most is rushing or lack of attention. I am retired USAF. If we thought it was not possible to learn to fly without crashing, then we would be in a hell of a fix. It really is about paying attention to detail and staying within your envelope. I have flown electric flight helicopters and fixed wing without crashing as well. Take your time with the basics and you'll do well.

Reactions: Robert Kelly
I’ve had mine for almost 2 years. Never crashed, never a rough landing, never a “flyaway”.

My “keys” to not crashing (yet)? Not getting in a hurry, understanding how it works, understanding it’s limitations, not flying in high wind, never flying near trees, buildings, or large, nearly extinct animals, knowing the AC, following a pre-flight checklist, etc. When flying fairly long Litchi missions, I review the mission with a fine tooth comb before takeoff.

Yes, it COULD happen to me but if it does, it will almost assuredly be a mechanical or firmware/software error rather than pilot error.
So your answer should be, yes it could happen. Which is what his question was.
Two kinds of drone pilots. Those who have crashed and those who will.
Well said!

Reactions: Tricky Lad

You will, as many have said, probably have a 'collision' (sounds better than crash), it is just the gravity that's important. My first P2V+ venture into droning was 3 years ago - thought this was easy along an isolated beach - too cocky, too fast and went into a hillside at full belt! Broke three props as it bounced down the hill, still recording. Lesson learnt and not too expensive. Now more experienced and far more careful with my P4, especially when photographing around churches in the UK for a charity.

So far, so good. KNOW what you’re doing and you’ll have a better chance at staying out of trouble.

It's perfectly possible not to crash. It just needs careful flight planning with conservative margins for error, attention to details such as aircraft conditions (props etc.), wind speed, launch location hazards (magnetic interference etc.), and careful, undistracted piloting.

If there was a "LOVE" button for this comment, I'd click it. Cheers

Reactions: mrmom852
"Perfectly"? It's just a matter of time, no matter how careful, ATD or prior planning.

While it may be likely, based on the number of people who report that they do crash, it is certainly not inevitable. In the absence of catastrophic hardware failure, which is rare, crashes are caused by pilot error - either undue risk taking or lack of skill or attention to detail - either of which increase the probability. Would you make the same statement about manned aviation, and if not, why not?

You are right. But if you crash, it was not all 100% perfect. The exceptions are mechanical failures which are relatively rare.
Maybe it will be interesting, if we hear something about that crashes, if there was any.

There is something important not mentioned yet. It is very tricky business and hard to perform perfect flight and perfect videos or pictures at the same time. Each of them need a whole man. Of course it depends on your criteria of what is perfect.

There is something important not mentioned yet. It is very tricky business and hard to perform perfect flight and perfect videos or pictures at the same time. Each of them need a whole man. Of course it depends on your criteria of what is perfect.
That's why the inspire needs two people and two remote controller to really performed a perfect shoot and flying at the same time.

Watching pilots not shutting down properly is a pain, cdc causes the motors to rev and over it goes. Simply hold down throttle stick.
Most of us know that, poor novices have so much to absorb with so many dark corners.

For Safety... Get a Set of Prop Guards.... Takes the Worry out of Clipping Something.....
Don't Make My Mistake.... From 400 ft up Filming the High Desert and Flying a Waypoint Mission.... I Pulled the Throttle DOWN.... till it Latched... for the 1/2 mile Trip Back down to Me to Land.....I lost Track of the Drone between looking at the smart Phone, and Line of Sight... Forgot about the Drone being Locked into Decent... Slamed into the Ground doing about 30mph... I bought the parts and Replaced the Camera cables, Body, Props..
Watch the Balance of your Props, and Body Cracks around the Motor Mounts... I bought Metal Motor Plates to Strength the Motor Mounts, and a New ECM ... Because of Vibration Induced Problems in the ECM.... Short Range, cold sodier joints...

It's possible not to crash. But it seems likely given the responses to this thread, that you may at some point. I've had a three minor incidents including two tree landings and one flip upon landing. I've lost a couple of props but no other damage done to my bird. My incidents were due to inexperience and flying in the less than ideal flying environments where I live and that I fly in. Things I do differently now since my incidents: I fly more conservatively and with more confidence as my flying skills increase. I watch the bird, not the screen. I never fly beyond VLOS. I resist the urge to panic and let it hover until I figure things out. This plus all the other good flying habits, pre and post flight checklists and inspections, fully charged batteries, prop guards, attention to weather and the environment, etc., will mitigate the risk of incidents for most sUAS pilots.

Watching pilots not shutting down properly is a pain, cdc causes the motors to rev and over it goes. Simply hold down throttle stick.
Most of us know that, poor novices have so much to absorb with so many dark corners.

Yea, I forgot once and did a CSC....over it went.

I commend all the replies who have had no crashes at all. Wish I could say the same, though someone said something to the effect, it's hard to get good video sometimes and still fly absolutely 100 percent safe. In my case that has come into play a couple of times, though in hindsight if I'd taken a moment to plan the maneuver more carefully they may not have happened.

I just started a little over a year ago, I have 2 P3 Pros with about 950 flights between them. I've had about 6 crashes, only one did serious damage to the gimbal and shell, the rest only a few broken props, oh and I had one fly away in Palm Springs CA last Christmas Eve, at night. It wound up landing safely, no damage, but it didn't find it's way back to me until the next day. Someone found it, and called my phone number that was written on it.

So anyway as you can see from these responses, rightly or wrongly, some of us are more daring than others, and some of you folks plan better than I ! So I guess it depends on exactly how you approach it, and how methodical you are.

Me, I often fly (probably too often) by the seat of my pants ;-)

Reactions: chatikib
I've crashed plenty of Quads and Planes, but not any DJI gear so far (Knock Wood)

Reactions: Newbieguy

have fun , fly it don't worry about crashing your quad , play by the rules and you will be OK .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing