Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Hard Case vs Backpack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StevoDevo, Jun 27, 2014.

1. StevoDevo

Hi Guys,

I'm a new Phantom 2 owner and need a recommendation on a case and/or a backpack. I live in Oregon and do a lot of hiking to some amazing places and would love to take my Phantom with me. So the idea of having to carry a case on a hike doesn't really appeal to me, but a backpack is a different story.

I just blew my whole wad of cash on the Phantom so don't have a lot to spend. So would storing the P2 in a backpack work? Or would I realistically need both a backpack and a hard case?

I've love a recommendation on a case and backpack - always prefer to purchase something that is recommended by an actual user of the product!

Thanks a bunch and look forward to interacting more with you guys on the forums!

Steve

2. waterfallrich

I was in the same boat - I live in western NC and wanted to take the quad into the field. I really felt I needed a hard case for road trips so I got the GoPro model. Was pondering the backpack idea, but didn't want to spend any more $$$. Saw a post in another thread where a guy mentioned using the egg crate thing the Phantom 2 was shipped in, so I started playing around with that idea. I use a Kelty Redwing Traveler 3100 backpack for carrying camera gear because it zips all the way around instead of being a top loader. Using the bottom part of the crate (with a bit cut out where the gimbal and GoPro go), I can carry the quad without the props on and all my accessories - some in a smaller camera bag. I also had a bubble wrap bag the correct size that the egg crate with the quad slides into in case of rain, but always carry a poncho anyway. All of that plus a little more fits into the pack and it zips right up. Good luck!

3. Wheat

I have had the same thoughts. I decided on a hard case. I like the idea of walking around with a backpack to a place where I am gong to launch and then unpacking and then launching. The problem is the backpacks have no protection on the top. I wanted something that I could pack in the car and load luggage on top or not worry about making sure it was loaded on top and not fall over. I just got my hard case yesterday and I loaded it in the car without any worries of what fell over on top of the case. You might use the backpack more but I thought I would just carry the copter with me to where I would launch with the remote in a backpack if I decided I wanted to hike a bit to where I would launch. That is just my thoughts though.

4. StevoDevo

Thanks for the ideas - I just found this backpack - http://www.goprocases.com/phantom2backp ... ition.aspx. The only problem I can see if where does my FPV screen go? Guess I could work around that, but I'd love a case where the FPV mount on the controller would fit without have to take them apart.

5. madsonp

If you look at the other photos you'll see a couple of foam pullouts that when pulled out make room for your FPV monitor.

6. StevoDevo

Okay cool - so on hard cases, what do you guys use that are good?

7. Gator113

The video was created by a member of this forum. I can no longer hike far from my truck, but if I could, this is what I would build. Then I'd take the money I saved and buy a good case for when I wasn't hiking.

Having said all of that, I still might build one and place it on my wife's back. ;>) Or, perhaps it would fit securely on my dogs pack. He's a well behaved 95 pound GSD that seems to like his pack and considers it as one of his jobs to bring the water and his treats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STt4bfkqTG0

One more thing. While I live in the wet state of Washington, I was raised in Oregon. So, I would have my wife make a lightweight water repellent bag to cover the Phantom, then attach it to the backpack. Or, at least cary a large plastic garbage bag in the backpack to give it some protection from rain and other debris.

Good luck....fly safe.

8. madsonp