Hard Case vs Backpack

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a new Phantom 2 owner and need a recommendation on a case and/or a backpack. I live in Oregon and do a lot of hiking to some amazing places and would love to take my Phantom with me. So the idea of having to carry a case on a hike doesn't really appeal to me, but a backpack is a different story.

I just blew my whole wad of cash on the Phantom so don't have a lot to spend. So would storing the P2 in a backpack work? Or would I realistically need both a backpack and a hard case?

I've love a recommendation on a case and backpack - always prefer to purchase something that is recommended by an actual user of the product!

Thanks a bunch and look forward to interacting more with you guys on the forums!

Steve

StevoDevo said:
Hi Guys,

I live in Oregon and do a lot of hiking to some amazing places and would love to take my Phantom with me. So the idea of having to carry a case on a hike doesn't really appeal to me, but a backpack is a different story.

I was in the same boat - I live in western NC and wanted to take the quad into the field. I really felt I needed a hard case for road trips so I got the GoPro model. Was pondering the backpack idea, but didn't want to spend any more $$$. Saw a post in another thread where a guy mentioned using the egg crate thing the Phantom 2 was shipped in, so I started playing around with that idea. I use a Kelty Redwing Traveler 3100 backpack for carrying camera gear because it zips all the way around instead of being a top loader. Using the bottom part of the crate (with a bit cut out where the gimbal and GoPro go), I can carry the quad without the props on and all my accessories - some in a smaller camera bag. I also had a bubble wrap bag the correct size that the egg crate with the quad slides into in case of rain, but always carry a poncho anyway. All of that plus a little more fits into the pack and it zips right up. Good luck!

I have had the same thoughts. I decided on a hard case. I like the idea of walking around with a backpack to a place where I am gong to launch and then unpacking and then launching. The problem is the backpacks have no protection on the top. I wanted something that I could pack in the car and load luggage on top or not worry about making sure it was loaded on top and not fall over. I just got my hard case yesterday and I loaded it in the car without any worries of what fell over on top of the case. You might use the backpack more but I thought I would just carry the copter with me to where I would launch with the remote in a backpack if I decided I wanted to hike a bit to where I would launch. That is just my thoughts though.

Thanks for the ideas - I just found this backpack - http://www.goprocases.com/phantom2backp ... ition.aspx. The only problem I can see if where does my FPV screen go? Guess I could work around that, but I'd love a case where the FPV mount on the controller would fit without have to take them apart.

Okay cool - so on hard cases, what do you guys use that are good?

The video was created by a member of this forum. I can no longer hike far from my truck, but if I could, this is what I would build. Then I'd take the money I saved and buy a good case for when I wasn't hiking.

Having said all of that, I still might build one and place it on my wife's back. ;>) Or, perhaps it would fit securely on my dogs pack. He's a well behaved 95 pound GSD that seems to like his pack and considers it as one of his jobs to bring the water and his treats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STt4bfkqTG0

One more thing. While I live in the wet state of Washington, I was raised in Oregon. So, I would have my wife make a lightweight water repellent bag to cover the Phantom, then attach it to the backpack. Or, at least cary a large plastic garbage bag in the backpack to give it some protection from rain and other debris.

Good luck....fly safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl