Hands on experience Phantom 3 - 4K plus Inside the hood Pictures

Well, the motors would be an easy replacement with basic soldering skills.

However, there's some resourceful folks out there who may push a little harder but yep it seems the DIY-er is getting squeezed out especially if the boards aren't available to the GP.
Dad gone cables.jpg
I ain't that resourceful and I didn't see but one board in that.. the main one !
Really though If all works well with what I have seen you guys talking about I really don't see where ya gotta mod nothing ! It's done been done :)
I will have one as soon as I can swing it but will get it where I don't have to send it to far if I need to o_O
OK..carry on as I will get outta ya hair now :)

View attachment 17482 I ain't that resourceful and I didn't see but one board in that.. the main one !
Really though If all works well with what I have seen you guys talking about I really don't see where ya gotta mod nothing ! It's done been done :)
I will have one as soon as I can swing it but will get it where I don't have to send it to far if I need to o_O
OK..carry on as I will get outta ya hair now :)

dc,

If you-ens reallyz likes ta tinker and test (wink-wink)...

Stock up on the P2s hitting the used market.

Reactions: dirkclod
You know ;) Still gonna have me one of these :) Maybe when they come out with the P3V3 but I will though :)
I did hear a rumor :rolleyes: Naaaaa

After seeing the wires in the photos this afternoon from the esc to the motors being what i thought to be very thin,and then of course the massive CE FCC setting debate, which with miles and miles of private land for flying was the key reason i bought the P3, and then what robinb pointed out which i have to admit ALARMED me.The thought of cancel as all so been on my mind for the last few hours. I have now cancelled my ipad with apple and at this stage plan on sleeping on my first decision over the P3. To be honest a sad night, if dji could have only answered the few questions i have asked them this past week then i would be happy, but the reality is they cant and this fact alarms me all so. :(

If you were watching the RCGroup P3 thread you would have found that a lot of the very techy people are being very positive about the interior of the P3

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2384430&page=178#post31388817

If anything it made me feel better about buying one!

This is good news before I go to sleep, thanks for the link I will read it first thing in the morning having my breakfast, new day new outlook with some positive thoughts hopefully after reading it. Thanks again

There's a lot to back read but it seems a lot of the components have been updated and beefed up. Those thin motor wires I thought might be an issue seem to be fine with the lower power going through them. There's lots more to read in the 2500 pages in the thread - but mostly the last 50!
Enjoy your breakfast;)

One thing I can't see on the pictures is a canbus port of any kind. So, won't that make connecting the Flytrex (live) impossible?

Correct me if I'm wrong, having trouble panning around the pics on my phone.

One thing I can't see on the pictures is a canbus port of any kind. So, won't that make connecting the Flytrex (live) impossible?

Can't see a canbus port. It is possible that a new type of interface is been used. Flytrex are usually very innovative and will usually find a way around the evolving technology. When you look at the DJI Pilot app you have all the data of the flight stored on your handset for playback later. It even shows the stick movements as they happened. I haven't found a way of exporting this information in numerical form so it can be imported into dashware.

Can't see a canbus port. It is possible that a new type of interface is been used. Flytrex are usually very innovative and will usually find a way around the evolving technology. When you look at the DJI Pilot app you have all the data of the flight stored on your handset for playback later. It even shows the stick movements as they happened. I haven't found a way of exporting this information in numerical form so it can be imported into dashware.

I did wonder if that new block in the middle maybe had some ports on it, like the naza has, that might be used for expansion. But like you say, the app has the majority of information in it and I'm sure I've seen people say somewhere you can export it.

Was more for the Live 3G tracking, but even then you can solder direct to the power like before Flytrex made the canbus adapter if you really want it. But even that's pretty much redundant now too as the app has something similar.

Still has the same wiring coming down from the upper shell GPS unit down to the board... all they need to do is pinout the wiring and make another adapter harness to make it plug and play like all the others... should be a no brainer.

After seeing the wires in the photos this afternoon from the esc to the motors being what i thought to be very thin,and then of course the massive CE FCC setting debate, which with miles and miles of private land for flying was the key reason i bought the P3, and then what robinb pointed out which i have to admit ALARMED me.The thought of cancel as all so been on my mind for the last few hours. I have now cancelled my ipad with apple and at this stage plan on sleeping on my first decision over the P3. To be honest a sad night, if dji could have only answered the few questions i have asked them this past week then i would be happy, but the reality is they cant and this fact alarms me all so. :(

Same here already canceled for many reasons, primarily this is a camera platform and the go pro 4 as many more options, i think 7.2k takes some beating, and the 4k pro tune is much better than the p3. As for the p3, you break that gimbal and your screwed and the whole gimbal setup looks fragile and no great leap on the last (jello, stutter,shimmering) and with limited and restricted new eu law imposed this is a lesser phantom in many respects than the last and i just don't get flying with an iPad. There you go thats my mind made up, you decide whats right for you the choice is yours nobody else can make your mind up.

Last edited:
Still has the same wiring coming down from the upper shell GPS unit down to the board... all they need to do is pinout the wiring and make another adapter harness to make it plug and play like all the others... should be a no brainer.

DBS you are right but getting data from the Canbus interface had its advantages as you could extract a whole lot more info other than GPS such as compass heading information

DBS you are right but getting data from the Canbus interface had its advantages as you could extract a whole lot more info other than GPS such as compass heading information

Ahhhh ... gotcha... I was still thinking "Core 2"

I never got into the whole "live 3G" thing... always trying to shave off any extra weight for the long range battery life.

Same here already canceled for many reasons, primarily this is a camera platform and the go pro 4 as many more options, i think 7.2k takes some beating, and the 4k pro tune is much better than the p3. As for the p3, you break that gimbal and your screwed and the whole gimbal setup looks fragile and no great leap on the last (jello, stutter,shimmering) and with limited and restricted new eu law imposed this is a lesser phantom in many respects than the last and i just don't get flying with an iPad. There you go thats my mind made up, you decide whats right for you the choice is yours nobody else can make your mind up.

Sure each person has to do what is right for them.

In my mind this is major leap from the previous generation.

1. Price point and convenience - I have built 3 phantoms with Lightbridge each and Go Pro cameras - spent over GBP 2000 each. Modified each Go Pro myself with all the stress of taking it apart. Have to go through annoying routine of starting Phantom first, then pressing on the go pro fighting with the gimbal and pressing record. Once I finish record got to remove the cable on the side and retrieve memory card. I have 2 go Pro's with faulty ports due to the constant unplugging. On the P3 I can hit record, change to still on the remote and when I take the card out I don't have to mess around with cables. Hey wait I can upload the video and photos straight from the tablet to the cloud.. The price of all this - a tad over GBP 1200

Is the Gimbal fragile - yes it is but if you drop it what do you expect? I have a gimbal guard and it does a good job. 85 flights and no problems on PV2+

2. All the technology has been squeezed into a phantom. I can re-use my carry case, Ipads / Nvidia Shields and memory cards. No I can't use the battery and chargers.. hey but I can use the props. I don't have to carry the nicer Inspire if I want a quick blast. While I am flying I can get 2 miles of uninterrupted video without having to buy cumbersome aerials, amps and tripods. I can fly for about 20 minutes. Numerous technology is assisting me. If I want to fly indoors without GPS I can. If I want to fly outdoors I have 16-18 satellites to guide me. If I can't be bothered to land I can press a button and ask it to land. If don't want to fly it back and bored I just press a button on the remote. All the camera controls of record, take a snapshot and pan camera are on the simple hand controller. I can reset the gimbal with another push of a button.

3. The Pilot software is a joy to use now. It tells me exactly how I flew the bird, every stick movement, the flight path, the mistakes made. In time people will develop more apps using the SDK like there is dozens of apps coming for the Phantom 2. I look forward to the creative people out there who will exploit the hardware.

Now will I go and sell all my Phantom 2's and the Inspire gear in a mad dash? . Hell no - I have spent countless hours building them up. But I will also support DJI in their quest to be at the forefront of technology by spending my money on their product so they can go on and develop the product .People keep mentioning how great the Go Pro cameras are.. I love the Go Pro but in the past 3 years Go Pro have done nothing to make the camera easier to use on a drone platform.

They have not in mind given any assistance to make the camera work on a platform such as the phantom by adding extra menus such as turn off mic option, start recording on movement etc... They continue to make cameras generation after generation and improving capture rates etc but they are not interested in fine tuning it to the UAV market. Maybe they have their own version of UAV coming out. When I complained that the ports both USB and HDMI failed on 2 cameras- they told me that the ports are not designed for what I was doing. Told me that USB cannot support video out. HDMI is only for video out but not to be plugged in and out. When I told I needed to disconnect HDMI cable to get to memory card they sounded puzzled. But when the port fails I have apparently misused it. Come on is that for real? Cannot send it back for repair under warranty.

So unless somebody else out there comes out with something better in 2015 and not 2016 or 2017 I am sticking to DJI for the moment as they have got products rolling out of production shortly that does a pretty good job of combining several different technologies.

PS the dampers are the soft white. I am pretty certain if I change them around to the hard black the jello will reduce. I got mad jello on my Go Pro's before I swapped them around after changing lenses to 5.4mm

Sure each person has to do what is right for them.

In my mind this is major leap from the previous generation.

1. Price point and convenience - I have built 3 phantoms with Lightbridge each and Go Pro cameras - spent over GBP 2000 each. Modified each Go Pro myself with all the stress of taking it apart. Have to go through annoying routine of starting Phantom first, then pressing on the go pro fighting with the gimbal and pressing record. Once I finish record got to remove the cable on the side and retrieve memory card. I have 2 go Pro's with faulty ports due to the constant unplugging. On the P3 I can hit record, change to still on the remote and when I take the card out I don't have to mess around with cables. Hey wait I can upload the video and photos straight from the tablet to the cloud.. The price of all this - a tad over GBP 1200

Is the Gimbal fragile - yes it is but if you drop it what do you expect? I have a gimbal guard and it does a good job. 85 flights and no problems on PV2+

2. All the technology has been squeezed into a phantom. I can re-use my carry case, Ipads / Nvidia Shields and memory cards. No I can't use the battery and chargers.. hey but I can use the props. I don't have to carry the nicer Inspire if I want a quick blast. While I am flying I can get 2 miles of uninterrupted video without having to buy cumbersome aerials, amps and tripods. I can fly for about 20 minutes. Numerous technology is assisting me. If I want to fly indoors without GPS I can. If I want to fly outdoors I have 16-18 satellites to guide me. If I can't be bothered to land I can press a button and ask it to land. If don't want to fly it back and bored I just press a button on the remote. All the camera controls of record, take a snapshot and pan camera are on the simple hand controller. I can reset the gimbal with another push of a button.

3. The Pilot software is a joy to use now. It tells me exactly how I flew the bird, every stick movement, the flight path, the mistakes made. In time people will develop more apps using the SDK like there is dozens of apps coming for the Phantom 2. I look forward to the creative people out there who will exploit the hardware.

Now will I go and sell all my Phantom 2's and the Inspire gear in a mad dash? . Hell no - I have spent countless hours building them up. But I will also support DJI in their quest to be at the forefront of technology by spending my money on their product so they can go on and develop the product .People keep mentioning how great the Go Pro cameras are.. I love the Go Pro but in the past 3 years Go Pro have done nothing to make the camera easier to use on a drone platform.

They have not in mind given any assistance to make the camera work on a platform such as the phantom by adding extra menus such as turn off mic option, start recording on movement etc... They continue to make cameras generation after generation and improving capture rates etc but they are not interested in fine tuning it to the UAV market. Maybe they have their own version of UAV coming out. When I complained that the ports both USB and HDMI failed on 2 cameras- they told me that the ports are not designed for what I was doing. Told me that USB cannot support video out. HDMI is only for video out but not to be plugged in and out. When I told I needed to disconnect HDMI cable to get to memory card they sounded puzzled. But when the port fails I have apparently misused it. Come on is that for real? Cannot send it back for repair under warranty.

So unless somebody else out there comes out with something better in 2015 and not 2016 or 2017 I am sticking to DJI for the moment as they have got products rolling out of production shortly that does a pretty good job of combining several different technologies.

PS the dampers are the soft white. I am pretty certain if I change them around to the hard black the jello will reduce. I got mad jello on my Go Pro's before I swapped them around after changing lenses to 5.4mm

Some good points mohan, although i canceled my pre order that doesn't mean i won't be getting a p3, i just don't want to be an early adopter, i will see what the reviews say and what peoples experience's are over the next month or so, i think i was a bit of a fool for pre ordering, i kind of let my want supersede my common sense anything could happen with this new p3 and especially since its version 1. Im going to stick with my P2 and awesome go pro 4 with its unlimited range and hope the new phantom three betters the last in some way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT