Hand landing

Reaction score
I have seen people say they hand land most of the time. I was wondering how that is done. If you have to bring both sticks to lower corners to shut off motors how do you do that with one hand?

You should not be shutting the motors down by doing the CSC maneuver.

Shut the motors down by holding the throttle stick (left stick) all the way down. Once the Phantom touches down, it will shut down in 3 seconds with the throttle held down.

You don't.
Hand catchers (and many other pilots) use the one-handed left stick down method.
Hold the left stick down for 2-3 secs and the motors shut down.
And before someone asks - no, this doesn't shut down in the air - only after landing.

Just like it says in the manual ...
i-wGRw6CT-L.jpg

ccase39 said:
I have seen people say they hand land most of the time. I was wondering how that is done. If you have to bring both sticks to lower corners to shut off motors how do you do that with one hand?
:D
Yep, just hold the left stick all the way down after you catch. Here's a video about calibrating the compass, but shows how easy it is to hand catch.

http://youtu.be/WkFo9OHOTk4

MHL

Well F me! I have been shutting motors off like I start them by bringing sticks to lower inside corners for a month now. I have no idea how I missed that. I had no problems until last week when I had a very slight tip over. I did an IMU calibration and my Phantom hasnt flown the same since. It has a lot of travel in different directions while hovering in GPS. Instead of staying in one place when I do a 360 degree yaw it does kind of a circle while I am yawing. It used to do a 360 on a dime.

On another note my throttle stick never would stick in the down position. I have another Phantom that does it just fine but this one does not seem to do it.

While many of us hand catch be very sure to have plan on where you plan to grab it. If the spinning props make contact with your skin it will shred your flesh with ease. You can YouTube such accidents if you want a graphic reminder of what not to do. Be careful.

ccase39 said:
On another note my throttle stick never would stick in the down position. I have another Phantom that does it just fine but this one does not seem to do it.
The latest controllers have the lock on the left stick but earlier models don't have it.

MicBergsma's video about compass calibration and hand catching is just great - very informative - and he makes everything look as fun and easy as it truly is. But here is a video about how compass calibration is done differently than MicBergsma does it, and one that is equally informative and easy on the eyes to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNif8F2dmqo It is just a a little longer (7 min +).

Thats one compass I wouldnt mind calibrating.

Avoid flying it into your hand like he did on the video, you're much better off and safer to fly it to a location within reach, let it hover in that location and insure it's stable, then walking up to it and grabbing it, then use the control to shut it down. Many will tell you, never fly it to people or yourself to catch, you let the person or yourself go to it once its in a stable hover.

Great Pumpkin said:
MicBergsma's video about compass calibration and hand catching is just great - very informative - and he makes everything look as fun and easy as it truly is. But here is a video about how compass calibration is done differently than MicBergsma does it, and one that is equally informative and easy on the eyes to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNif8F2dmqo It is just a a little longer (7 min +).
:lol: Ya just had to put that link up huh ! Been watching all them vedios she has for 20 minutes and just had to stop after learning how to peel a banana ! Did find them very informative though. ;)

dirkclod said:
Great Pumpkin said:
:lol: Ya just had to put that link up huh ! Been watching all them vedios she has for 20 minutes and just had to stop after learning how to peel a banana ! Did find them very informative though. ;)

Women in bikinis + youtube = mega views but usually no content. She bores me.

madsonp said:
Avoid flying it into your hand like he did on the video, you're much better off and safer to fly it to a location within reach, let it hover in that location and insure it's stable, then walking up to it and grabbing it, then use the control to shut it down. Many will tell you, never fly it to people or yourself to catch, you let the person or yourself go to it once its in a stable hover.

+1

bring it in, but keep a good safe distance, let it hover until it's nice and steady, make sure it's down low enough to safely grab, but keep it above your head and grab it by the landing gear with a nice firm grip, and then hold it at that level while holding down on the left stick until the motors shut down. Even if it's a little windy outside, keeping it above your head will help prevent the phantom from drifting towards you, or if it tilts a little, you're still fairly safe from the props. There's always a risk when it comes to hand catching, but if you're careful, it really shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you havent got 2 left arms hand catching is so easy and you dont risk damaging your camera/gimbal set up, but be careful in windy conditions!!

With the stock landing skids, I hand caught my quad. However, I installed the taller landing gear to accommodate my gimbal and GoPro and the landing skids are a bit flimsy, so reluctant to hand catch.

Motocrossed said:
With the stock landing skids, I hand caught my quad. However, I installed the taller landing gear to accommodate my gimbal and GoPro and the landing skids are a bit flimsy, so reluctant to hand catch.

I find the best place to grab is where the leg joins the body, right next to the ESC LEDs. As long as you are reaching up slightly there is little chance of a mishap. It allows the quad to grabbed properly without anything flexing too much.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl