Hacking the Vision Repeater for the FC40?

Reaction score
So, I finally made the leap from AR Drone 2.0 (with mods) to the FC40.

I did a bunch of research and found that the vision repeater wont work with the FC40 camera. So sad.
I do have a router with DDWRT loaded on it that I used to extend the range of my Drone. I can use this with the FC40 as well with no problem.

However, I would LOVE to use the vision repeater as it is small and attaches to the controller! So much better than a big linksys router with an external battery.

There must be some way to get into the admin page of that repeater and make it see other SSID's.

What do you guys think?

I'm planning on buying a FC40 and would love to increase the WiFi range for the camera.
I too did a lot of research and found that there are apparently only a few routers/repeaters with which it seems to work.
I am very interested in your setup (which router, which version DDWRT and so on).

And one more question: In case the repeater has two external antennas, would it be possible to replace one with this one for greater range?
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT240 ... B003CFATNS

Good luck with the vision repeater. No one has been successful yet.

As for extending the range with a repeater, please read the fairly long thread in this section. Very good info.

I spent many days trying to fake the Vision Repeater out with custom generated QR codes. Yes, as people have confirmed it doesn't work. I have two alternate solutions I use.

I have a Tenda A6 USB ultra portable repeater I can fly on the Phantom to get 250mw of extra repeating power. When I am going for longer range to the edge of visible flight range, I am using an Amped Wireless SR1000 with a 7db direction panel on port 2 along with the standard omni direction that ships with the Amped. I cut the original power supply and put on some powerpoles. I have an adapter cable then that goes powerpole to XT60 so I can power the Amped with an extra lipo.

For $100 you really can't be the distance of the Amped SR10000 to match the limits you can fly your FC40. I do use the GoPro in the Zenmuse and repeat it primarily for FPV. I do have a setup where I can fly and shoot video with the GoPro and fly with the FC40 camera alternatively mounted on the front of the battery door for FPV.

Just remember when you are repeating the FC40, you have mirror the camera name and just change the last digit of the SSID, so the FC40 app on your phone / tablet thinks it is still connected to the FC40 natively. Any other pattern or SSID and you can't trick the Phantom FC40 app to launch to view the video. When I am repeating the GoPro, I use the GoPro Cam Studio alterative on Nexus 7 or GoPro Control app on the iPhone to watch the video with smallest amount of lag. The native GoPro app won't launch and stay connected unless it is directly connected to the GoPro wireless. Both replacement apps still give full control and have smooth buffering for minimal amount of lag.

"GoPro Control app on the iPhone "

I can't seem to find this one. What is the actual name or do you have a link?

jetdust said:
Is the Tenda A6 USB ultra portable repeater battery powered? I purchased a small repeater type of thing also but can't get it to work for the life of me.. lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5A ... UTF8&psc=1

The A6 is USB mini powered at 5V. You can do a power tap with a step down from 12V to 5V to power it from the LiPo or you can use any number of the small external battery packs on the market that let you power a USB device.

jetdust said:
Is the Tenda A6 USB ultra portable repeater battery powered? I purchased a small repeater type of thing also but can't get it to work for the life of me.. lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5A ... UTF8&psc=1

You may try activating the DMZ function in the router for the assigned DHCP port, e.g. 192.168.2.100.
I can only make my Tenda A6 work with FC40 camera app when I did the above. :p :p :p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart