GPS tracking device - Fly Away Insurance ?

Reaction score
Just purchased my P2V and have only flown it a couple of times. Reading about flyaways even with the vision has me more than worried. One can't afford a spectrum analyzer to verify the RF is clear. So I'm wondering if something like this would be a worthwhile add on?

www.amazon.com/Mini-GPS-Personal-Positi ... uctDetails

I do not know how these work, IE: what type of sim card/plan is required but it might be worth it if you value the P2V

What do others out here use to track their multi-rotors with?

Apparently the device that you linked to has GPS in the title, but
not in the device itself.

However, there are other similar devices that apparently do use GPS.

garygid said:
Apparently the device that you linked to has GPS in the title, but
not in the device itself.

However, there are other similar devices that apparently do use GPS.

Interesting, in one of the questions asked, I could have sworn the seller said it used GPS, and then cell towers if GPS was not available.

Do you have a particular device you'd recommend? I'm already looking to at least install a piezo beeper so it's at least emitting a beep that might be heard by someone, along with putting my name & phone number on the phantom hoping someone would do the right thing and call.

The Garmin GTU-10 is often used by owners of the Phantom and other multirotors. The price shot up a couple of weeks ago, but you can still get refurbished units for $100. You can ping it if your bird ever gets lost, and it'll send you the current GPS coordinates. Comes with a year of free service, then you have to pay after that.

djiatl said:
There are a lot of interesting developments in the world of arduino and kickstarter.com.

For example, these developers are trying to develop a keychain tracker. (Cellular fees would be a few bucks a month)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparqee/sparqee-cellv10-cellular-made-easy-arduino-pi

Thanks, I'll check them out. I've also contacted the company "Loc8tor" who makes a directional homing device for R/C plane tracking at up to 600 feet range currently. This product doesn't use cellular service, as I fly in areas that doesn't have cell service (out in the boonies) . I'm trying to get them to work with me on modifying one of their units with a detachable parabolic antenna to extend the range of their existing product. Check them out at: www.loc8tor.com/model-planes/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94