great deal from freedompop to get a sim for your gps tracking device

Reaction score
Hi everyone. i'm new to the forum, being following for a while but decided to subscribe to let u guys know this. i know there's a lot of alternatives, but this is just one option that could work for lots of ppl. i do not work with this company whatsoever, just was looking the other day for a tracking solution in case i lose my phantom, what other users have. just now saw this.
get a gps tracker from ebay amazon what ever, that works with gsm. then get a freedompop sim for 5$ and after a few days change the plan to the FREE basic plan, that will give you global coverage in few countries and the list is growing, 500 sms 200 min calls and 200mb data. here is the link from freedompop, check it out.

Phone & Internet Plans from $0/month - FreedomPop

I have one of these on the way, but don't think it'll work for most of the cheap trackers if they require text messages for configuration because text messages with these sim cards require a special app on a smart phone, and are actually sent over the data. So these would work only with trackers that use mobile data.

I have one of these on the way, but don't think it'll work for most of the cheap trackers if they require text messages for configuration because text messages with these sim cards require a special app on a smart phone, and are actually sent over the data. So these would work only with trackers that use mobile data.
I'm thinking about this . My wife used this company a year ago but was cdma network. I wonder that since they are coming with GSM now things might change for a more simple system

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

then get a freedompop sim for 5$ and after a few days change the plan to the FREE basic plan, , check it out.

When I checked it out you also authorize FreedomPop to charge $27.98 every month for continued service at the end of the free trial. I don't see an option for a "Free basic plan". Am I missing something? How can they make any money if it's free. Makes no sense.

When I checked it out you also authorize FreedomPop to charge $27.98 every month for continued service at the end of the free trial. I don't see an option for a "Free basic plan". Am I missing something? How can they make any money if it's free. Makes no sense.
They make money when you go over the limit according to your plan.

You are right. Freedom uses a special app also on GSM. Won't be able to configure those cheap gps locators via this sim. Anyways. For 5 bucks to have a spare line for a backup cellphone won't hurt

I have been using FreedomPop with a hotspot for over 1 year. I only paid the initial cost for the Novatel MiFi 500 Hotspot. It wasn't easy to find, but you can setup your system so there are no monthly costs. The 500MB of free LTE data is plenty to load maps and get GPS for my iPad and R/C. If anyone is interested I can show you how I did it. I keep the hotspot in my P3A case and put in on a thick cushion on my car roof while flying. The only catch is that if you don't use at least 1MB of data in 60 days they may put a hold on your account. FreedomPop will encourage you to upgrade to allow data rollover ($4/month) and auto-reloads at $10/GB. Plus they have other plans.

FreedomPoP uses Sprint in my area. And the free data is only LTE. Most of the places I fly have at least one bar.

Another product I looked at was the Karma Go Karma hotspot. You also buy the hotspot. For $15 you get 1GB of data that never expires. You can buy more data for $15/GB. The price per GB is high but the advantage of never expires is nice. However I have not used Karma Go.

Update: March 2019 and I still have paid $0 total for up to 500MB of data from FreedomPop for my hotspot.

Last edited:
Late post looks like Data Plans at Karma are $3mo plus $10G.

Its my belief that freedom pop run the free stuff on PSEUDO 4G data stream. So calls are VOIP and Text appears to be sent in a data package. It may be running a propitiatory software to mesh to this data stream to a conventional interface. If I am wrong let me know. AKA old fart with keyboard!

I purchased 2 freedompop cards for $0.01/each. Then cancelled within the free trial period, causing a $20.00 place holder on t hff d account for overcharges. The state was for $0.00/more = 200 minutes, 500 texts, & 200MB, + $0.35 for each addition MB. Then, a week later. They changed the rate on me. I tried 1 card in a GT02A & a mini tracker and neither accepted the connection to the the freedompop card. I tried the other card in an unlocked galaxy 9+ & it worked for a week, & now the account says suspended when I have 6 days left on my service for the month with unlimited talk & text, & nothing is working. I'm sending everything back since the tech support is crap. They stated "We noticed you haven't installed the freedompop app yet." That's how I got the phone to activate with the card to begin with. But, just to humor them, I uninstalled it, rebooted it, & reinstalled it. It didn't make any difference. Doesn't work for squat.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20