GPS tracker question

Reaction score
As soon as I purchased my Phantom 2 Vision, I immediately heard the horror stories of fly aways and wanted to get some extra protection with a GPS tracker. I did some research and people seem to be mentioning the TK102 chinese trackers sold on ebay/amazon. I decided to give it a shot and purchased one on amazon. I knew I needed a SIM card so I bought a sim kit from ATT go SIM. I have been unable to get this thing to work. It just wont respond to the trigger text. Is anybody using one with any level of success? If yes...what sim? If something else is better I am open to recommendations.
Thanks Guys
Luke

Yes....i put the ATT go sim in my iphone and all the texts had arrived......but the unit did not respond...tried 2 units....was thinking maybe its the ATT sim....was wondering what people are using for SIM's with these....

beyond frustrated.......the unit I ordered was from amazon prime for 29.99. It came with a European power charger with no adapter......so I asked amazon to ship me a different one with the standard power plug pictured. While waiting I tried to make the first unit work....I tried ATT go SIM, I tried Tmobile, Trac, H20 with no luck of getting the unit to respond to my text. I now have like 4 prepaid phone accounts that I'm going to have to cancel and clean up. The second unit amazon sent me was the exact same unit with the same results. I tried to call ATT and have them add the IMEI numbers to SIM. That didnt help...still no response. I really cant afford to give up on this. I really don't feel safe flying anything other than overhead stuff without a GPS tracker. I have heard that there is clone knockoff versions of the TK102 and I am beginning to believe that is what I received. Others on the net are reporting success with a device that LOOKs like mine but is probably the real thing. Can anybody shed light on whether these units work, where to get the right version, and is it worth my time. I wished there was a legitimate US manufacturer of a tiny GPS unit. I would gladly spend the extra money to avoid dealing with these Chinese made headaches. Any input is appreciated.

SIMS I have tried
Got all these to respond to texts in the phones but not the GPS unit

ATT go SIM
Tmobile SIM
Brightspot SIM
H20 SIM
Trac Phone SIM

I took mine to T-Mobile and we tested it with a SIM out of one of their phones and it worked. I bought a Pay as you go account and put that SIM in and it works fine. Maybe you got a bad unit? Not waiting long enough for it to get ready?

eculuke said:
Yes....i put the ATT go sim in my iphone and all the texts had arrived......but the unit did not respond...tried 2 units....was thinking maybe its the ATT sim....was wondering what people are using for SIM's with these....

Is it a 3G sim? Apparently those devices only work with 2G sims so that is possibly the problem. See here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Real-Tim ... 1201679112

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl