GoPro Wifi

Reaction score
I probably know the answer to this but is there anyway we can turn the wifi on for the gopro to be able to use the app for FPV? I know it will cause interfernce with the Phantom frequency but any way around it?

Not that I know of. The GoPro and the Phantom controller (I assume you have a Phantom 2 Non-Vision) use the same 2.4Ghz frequency. You'd have to use add-ons to get FPV to work.

Yeah thats what I was thinking to.

I probably know the answer to this but is there anyway we can turn the wifi on for the gopro to be able to use the app for FPV? I know it will cause interfernce with the Phantom frequency but any way around it?

Now if you had P2 vision + v3 converting it to use H3-3D gimbal/GoPro is doable and you would be able to use wifi. Just not doable with the P2 non vision.

Reactions: Mako79
The GoPro wifi does not interfere with the Phantom 2 control, its a common Phantom myth. If this really was a problem, you would not be able to take off in rural areas that have TONS of 2.4 and 5.8Ghz signals. I have flown within 10m of wifi towers that connect to antennas miles away with no effect.
But this doesn't mean you can use it for FPV. You can, but maybe 20ft. distance. Otherwise, you'd have to boost the signal with peripherals that you don't want to carry on the Phantom.
Get a 5.8Ghz transmitter and monitor with receiver. The analog video may not be as "nice" as the Vision's, but it has huge benefits like video never freezing. When you have bad signal, the video may go fuzzy or black/white (like bad signal on analog TV), but it will never freeze giving you no clue what's going on (like digital TV). Also, the video comes back immediately when the signal gets better (Phantom comes closer or you direct your antenna).

2ily6c1.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk it.
The gopro wifi wont interfere with it. It simply stomps out the 2.4Ghz and "blinds" the controller when it is mounted closely to the P2's antennas. You can get about 100ft before it starts to trigger RTH. Many freak out and call it a flyaway when it simply RTH.
And yes, the range on the wifi is very poor. On paper, its 100ft range, in reality its max 40ft.

The other bad thing about using GoPro wifi and app for FPV is the time lag in the image.
First you will hit something and then you would see it comming towards you kind of thing.
A bad idea all round.
There are plenty of 5.8Ghz FPV systems to choose from and to suit most budgets.

The GoPro wifi does not interfere with the Phantom 2 control, its a common Phantom myth. If this really was a problem, you would not be able to take off in rural areas that have TONS of 2.4 and 5.8Ghz signals. I have flown within 10m of wifi towers that connect to antennas miles away with no effect.
But this doesn't mean you can use it for FPV. You can, but maybe 20ft. distance. Otherwise, you'd have to boost the signal with peripherals that you don't want to carry on the Phantom.
Get a 5.8Ghz transmitter and monitor with receiver. The analog video may not be as "nice" as the Vision's, but it has huge benefits like video never freezing. When you have bad signal, the video may go fuzzy or black/white (like bad signal on analog TV), but it will never freeze giving you no clue what's going on (like digital TV). Also, the video comes back immediately when the signal gets better (Phantom comes closer or you direct your antenna).

2ily6c1.jpg
All looks good on paper .Have you tried and tested it ?
Putting the Wifi a inch or so away from the receiver can cause a problem . If you where to use Wifi and lost or crashed your bird DJI would not cover it .

If I have a $1,000 quad 100 feet in the air, and I do something to even RISK loosing control, I won't do it... what's the point?? We all know that they use the same frequency. Will it make a difference? Probably... maybe... but why find out the hard way?? It will cost less adding the parts for FPV than replacing a crashed quad AND GoPro...

Yes, I have actually flown with the wifi accidentally on. Nothing happened. But I did come down and turn it off as a precaution.
I seriously doubt DJI could tell that the GoPro was to blame for a crash, since there's no data logging and we know that some owners had much bigger problems with flyaways that had nothing to do with the GoPro. If in fact the GoPro wifi caused some kind of shielding between rx/tx than it would cause RTH. It can't confuse the compass, nor send erratic control data.
Just wanted to thoroughly answer the question.

I know this is an old thread, but 2.4GHz WAS designed to jump frequency's so that there is not any interference. Yes there is still lag, but there is no way it will actually interfere with the phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews