GoPro Quick release?

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my Zenmuse yesterday and have been playing around with some flight tests. I was wondering does everyone just leave their gopro in the p2? The reason I ask their seems to be no quick release so its a pain to unscrew all the time when you need to use it or make some adjustments on it. For example I want to transfer some stuff off but I have no way to click or reach the wifi button also if I need to change batteries this becomes a pain.

thoughts?

stevet said:
Hi, I just got my Zenmuse yesterday and have been playing around with some flight tests. I was wondering does everyone just leave their gopro in the p2? The reason I ask their seems to be no quick release so its a pain to unscrew all the time when you need to use it or make some adjustments on it. For example I want to transfer some stuff off but I have no way to click or reach the wifi button also if I need to change batteries this becomes a pain.

thoughts?

I agree a quick release would be nice! Hopefully won't take a whole new version of the gimbal to have it.

UFOwithaGoPro said:
stevet said:

thoughts?

I agree a quick release would be nice! Hopefully won't take a whole new version of the gimbal to have it.

Im really surprised nobody has thought of this. Basically your committing your gopro to your P2, unless you want to constantly unscrew and screw it back in. Which isnt a HUGE deal but not ideal.

could maybe use same two screw holes to attach two small hooks and stretch a girls hair band to each hook across the front of the GoPro.

Really your moaning about two screws, it takes no time at all. i carry a screw driver with me in my case takes all of 20 seconds . If this really a big issue i have got a skin on my go pro from dc innovations and when that is put in the gimbal its stuck there as the skin makes it a tight squeeze, i then could put an elastic band around it to just be on the safe side but to be honest I always use the screws. Wifi not good to use when flying it interferes with it. causes crashes. I would just stick to the screws to be honest

So let me get this straight......you want a quicker way to remove your GoPro...because two screws takes too long?? I bet if it had come with a quick release and your GoPro fell off while in flight, we'd see about a hundred post blaming DJI for making a faulty quick release. LOL!!! Just saying.

I don't want anything quick less that can quickly come undone or unlocked while 300-400 feet in the air. What's the lesser of two evils? LOL!!

My only concern is that the threads will wear with continuous unscrewing. I would prefer a quick release.

Fairly new here so I'm prepared to be shot down, but the OP has raised a valid point. People have different needs and wants. You might not want a quick release but some people do. I have owned gopros for years. Used them on bikes, jet skis, inside and outside of light aircraft and on cars at 170mph. Not once has the quick release waterproof case ever come undone. It's not too much to expect the same ability on a copter. 30seconds might not seem like much but it can be a pain in the arse.

Personally I dont use the screws. I used a stout rubber band around the two threaded lugs. 2 seconds to remove but carry spares

Quick releases would be nice. Ease and convenience with anything is always a plus! But, I sold my flying squirrel suit & the Phantom flights are the only thing I use my GoPro camera for now. :roll:

I too want the quick release. I'm just not that nimble anymore. It's a pain screwing and unscrewing the GoPro. For those of you who see this as a non-issue consider yourselves to be fortunate.

I use a hair tie and two small cotter pins. The pins fit into the screw holes and the hair tie holds the GoPro in the mount.

I would love to see if some type of thumbscrew would work better. It would add a small amount of weight though. Would that matter much?

275-1485-thumbscrew.jpeg

myk said:
I would love to see if some type of thumbscrew would work better. It would add a small amount of weight though. Would that matter much?

275-1485-thumbscrew.jpeg

Thats a good idea and I dont think the little extra weight would make much difference.

Steve, your question is a valid and excellent question. I personally wish there was a quicker way to remove the GoPro on the Phantom II. In fact while I was waiting for the delivery of mine I found virtually no photos or YouTube videos that showed how it was connected except for seeing a black band across the top. I have a waterproof case on the bottom of my DJI F550 and had a velcro strap on my TBS Discovery Pro. I am not as skilled as those who criticized you for complaining. I happen to use my Phantom every day and transfer video to an external drive so I just leave it mounted to the Phantom. Some day I'll need to mount it again to my F5550 hexacopter or my dashboard suction cup clamp but in the meantime I'll probably leave it on the Phantom since I am not fond of using a screw driver for daily flying. Bottom line, I would love to see a quick release.

By the way, if my message above seems cynical, I actually have a tough time keeping those tiny screws from falling into permanently lost areas like between car seats, etc. Even thumb screws are difficult.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart