GoPro Question - Phantom 2

Reaction score
I'm not sure if questions can get more basic than this: When should you turn on/press record on your GoPro? I recently turned on my GoPro and pressed record after my Phantom 2 located its GPS signal. I flew the drone for about 15 minutes, landed it, and turned off the drone. When I looked at the camera it had been turned off, and there was no video on the micro SD card. The GoPro still had full battery, however it stopped recording video as soon as I took off from the ground.

What are the steps to take to begin recording? Should you start recording before you turn on the drone, after you locate the GPS, or immediately before take off?

The video stopped as soon as the drone started to lift off the ground. I haven't found any instructions that specifically state the time when you should turn the camera on and press record.

I've done it before connecting the battery and after, and before and after the GPS locks, without any issue...I don't think it should matter when you do it.

I had the same thing happen. It turned out that I had the GoPro setting on Protune and the SD card I was using wasn't up to the task. Actually mine recorded for 4 seconds each clip and I took about 5 flights.

As above, and also try to delete all files. My mine use to record for 10 secs then stop, deleted all files and it worked.

I have done the same thing. But I found out later when I though it was in video mode it was actually in picture mode. So it took one shot and that wa it. Be sure to check your modes prior. And I usually give the phantom time to get a good signal before turn it on. Good luck.

On my P2 there is a definite sequence on the GoPro. In my case, I power up the P2 and let it find satellites as usual. During this power up phase, the gimbal goes through a few gyrations which I believe is a calibration routine. Only then can I power up the GoPro. I don't like doing it this way since I have to hold the GoPro and I can feel the gimbal fighting me a bit.

If I turn the GoPro on first, it goes into the wireless mode (blinking blue light) and I have to power everything down and come up again as described above.

One thing I have found is if you set the go-pro recording too soon after turning it on, it records for a few seconds, then stops. Give the camera a few seconds and all is good.

I turn on my tx, then black pearl, go pro and phantom. After I get all greens I carefully hit record. One time I got real fancy and took off without hitting record so I spun around hit the button while it was flying. Never had a problem doing it this way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl