GoPro Karma Release

Still without buttons for camera control, it makes it a non contender.

I'm assuming you adjust it through the touch screen.

I have no doubt the camera setting can be accessed through the touch screen, same as a Phantom, and the quad carries the signal and interfaces with the camera through the gimbal.

I couldn't imagine them not going that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but according to the YouTube video the lighting scheme is reversed from the Phantoms, with the greens in front and the reds in back. (I still wish manufacturers would adopt the proper right/green left/red scheme, like an actual airplane.)

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I loved that video. He has no respect for the equipment or worry about destroying anything. Note the phantom he knocks off the table and just moves on. Quick edit, "did that just happen" who cares, I have a Karma on my table.

I like the whole idea, especially coming from someone that would like to bring that drone with to more places, but just cannot justify packing the Phantom in the Fearless backpack on a sled, or in my SXS.

I'm still waiting for a stronger phantom. Hopefully Mavic is finally the one.

Hi guys, I found this :
DJI MAVIC 4K drone pliable
Foldable, 4K recording but 300 meters range...
So Mavic < Karma < Phantom 4. The mavic is just very compact when folded.

It says 300m range and a 3s 3850mah battery and availability 17/10/2016 but perhaps it's just a product placeholder too....

Also, where do you get this Magic<Karma<Phantom 4 from?

I think all products are for different uses, I doubt DJI would position the Mavic as such. Anyway, only a few days left...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Let's not fool ourselves here. This product is directed towards a market DJI has never even made an attempt at so far. This isn't intended to be a Phantom killer. It's not that at all. It is, by design as best I can tell; to be used up close and personal. That is not Phantom's primary intended work space.
Totally agree with you on this. I might get one just for the simplicity and compactness to take along on road trips and capture interesting scenes or just to kill time. The Phantom is more of a chore setting up everything. Especially with that **** GO app that hates me and my Nvidia Shield tablet sometimes. If it wasn't for Litchi I'd give up Phantoms.

Reactions: Energy Guy
Hi guys, I found this :
DJI MAVIC 4K drone pliable
Foldable, 4K recording but 300 meters range...
So Mavic < Karma < Phantom 4. The mavic is just very compact when folded.

Had trouble reading French so didn't get much more than what you posted, but how did they come by this information? I read another post that said DJI will offer LB on it same as Phantom and 4K for around $1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys!

I'm new to drones and I'm looking into buy my first one.

I've been reading a lot about them, about the Phantom 4, Karma and the Mavic.

One small question I have and I know it might be a stupid one: does the camera move on the drone? In all the Karma teasers/hands on, I can see Karma filming what's in front of the drone all the time, but can it film what's under it? For example if I'm inside a car and I position a drone exactly over the car, can I move the drone camera to not record what's in front of it but what's under it (in this example the car)?

Thank you!

Hi guys!

One small question I have and I know it might be a stupid one: does the camera move on the drone? In all the Karma teasers/hands on, I can see Karma filming what's in front of the drone all the time, but can it film what's under it? For example if I'm inside a car and I position a drone exactly over the car, can I move the drone camera to not record what's in front of it but what's under it (in this example the car)?

Thank you!
Yes you can pan the camera down with the remote controller on the karma and phantoms.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thank you! Also do you guys believe that GoPro/Karma will eventually introduce 'Obstacle avoidance' and/or 'subject tracking' as a software update? For me this is the biggest difference between the Djiis/GoPro drones st the moment, specially the subject tracking!

Hi guys!

Thank you!
Don't completely rule out the P3A and P3P, they are in my opinion very capable and a good value.

Thank you! Also do you guys believe that GoPro/Karma will eventually introduce 'Obstacle avoidance' and/or 'subject tracking' as a software update? For me this is the biggest difference between the Djiis/GoPro drones st the moment, specially the subject tracking!
Hard to say. Maybe in the next generation karma? If you want those options now, dji is the way to go and more capable.

Hard to say. Maybe in the next generation karma? If you want those options now, dji is the way to go and more capable.

How do you compare the Phantom 4 camera with the GoPro Hero 5?

Gopro is an action camera and the dji cameras are more cinema cameras in my opinion. The upside to the gopro is you can mount it on different things. But if your looking at actual drone performance, i think DJI hands down.

Hero 5 = obvious fisheye that needs corrected in POST. 122 degree FOV (can be selected for 94 degrees for less fisheye, but you lose resolution). No zoom support.
P4= no fisheye to worry about. 94 degree FOV in full resolutions of 4K, 2.7K or 1080 for video. Also, 2X lossless digital zoom in 1080 mode.

I'm still waiting for a stronger phantom. Hopefully Mavic is finally the one.
If you crash a lot nothing will be strong enough.:p Try strong arms, that's what I use on my P3P, haven't had a crack yet in over a year.

Mavic will likely use Wifi for video communications (my guess due to range rumors and cost goals). P4 and P3A/P3P uses Lightbridge. For most "in the know", that's a no brainer decision. What do you want, 500m range or 5000m? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT