GoPro Hero 4 + H3-3D Wobbly/Jello

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have just bought a brand new H3-3D, and a Hero 4 black edition.

I have some very prominent wobble/jello coming from the footage.

I'm using the stock white dampers. Haven't done anything else to setup like balancing etc.

I am not using any filters or anything.

Please share your stable/jello/wobble free setups with the Hero 4?

Thanks

A few things to try:
Higher frame rate. Are you using 4k at 30fps? Try 2.7 at 50/60 fps.
Try an ND filter.

Also, look at the gain settings in the phantom assist. Set to default and make 10-5% incremental changes. Then hover and see if the gimbal and camera is actually wobbling. It will oscillate and this usually causes jello.
I once set mine to 200% on all gain settings to use 3 fold props. When I reverted back to stock props, the gimbal and camera oscillated.

Mako79 said:
A few things to try:
Higher frame rate. Are you using 4k at 30fps? Try 2.7 at 50/60 fps.
Try an ND filter.

Also, look at the gain settings in the phantom assist. Set to default and make 10-5% incremental changes. Then hover and see if the gimbal and camera is actually wobbling. It will oscillate and this usually causes jello.
I once set mine to 200% on all gain settings to use 3 fold props. When I reverted back to stock props, the gimbal and camera oscillated.

Thanks. I'll try playing with the gains. I shooting 4k30 but I really want to shoot 4k so I'm going to try and get it as stable as possible!

I have the same setup, and almost zero jello...it's really very good.

I use the weakest dampeners (the ribbed black ones) with foam ear plugs down the middle. I then have the gimbal secured by a couple of cable ties. Try that out.

The other suggestions about 50/60fps @ 2.7k are totally valid and should reduce jello.

If you want to try this filter :http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083780-REG/snake_river_prototyping_bfair8cp_blurfix_air_nd4_cp_filter.html

It does a great job of eliminating jello and generally will make the shot look nicer.

My question to you is, does the new H3-D3 gimbal properly support the Hero 4 now, or does the settings button on the Hero still smash up against the mount? Also, does it support video out?

Jeroam said:
My question to you is, does the new H3-D3 gimbal properly support the Hero 4 now, or does the settings button on the Hero still smash up against the mount? Also, does it support video out?

As for the button, try adding (black) padded tape to add a buffer. Its a better option than dremmeling and voiding the warranty or getting metallic debris in your motor. The tape also acts as a backup securing device if you forget to put the gopro clip on.

As for video out, it does not support the rear hero port (1.0). If you have this port, you can just buy the 1.1 DJI USB 'part 56' for less than $15. The install is pretty easy.

Just use an ND and your Jello will vanish. I personally use PolarPro ND for the GoPro its only 10g

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl