Goodluckbuy and Futaba- Prog and Curve Mixing

Reaction score
Mother nature and old man winter have had a tumultuous 3rd rate rendezvous hereabouts this season, and they seem to have trouble breaking things off- so way too much time spent pouring over the radio and Naza and the Phantom- along with way too much time watching tutorials and reading forums on all things Futaba, all things gimbal, and all things Naza was the fare this past week or so (amongst the many digressions I am prone to engage in)

One thing I discovered (I know it isn't original or new mind you) is the ability to program my pitch and roll on my 10CAG using program and curve mixes.

I use switch A for the program curve for the gimbal pitch down 30% upon acceleration.
I use switch B for the program to implement auto roll on the gimbal at 20% to match rudder.

I am curious if anyone else here has set up their goodluckbuy and Futaba (or another gimbal) to perform like this? I have not actually flown the quad as I am also in the middle of other work on it- so this is pure bench testing.

I set up the aux channels so that 5 was a variable knob (E in my radio's case) and channel 8 was a variable (D for my radio)
Ch 5 is the gimbal tilt connected to F2 on the Naza and has a 2 wire (signal and ground- or top and bottom) going to pitch pins on the goodluckbuy.
Ch 8 is a 2 wire (same as pitch) going from my receiver (FrSky TFR8sb) on ch 8 to the roll pins on the goodluckbuy

By using a program mix and setting it to turn on with swB I had ch4 as master and ch8 as slave with the percentages at 20%
By using a curve mix and setting it to turn on with swA and having the master as 3 and the slave as 5 with the curve (5 point) 0@ #3, 18@ #4, and 40@ #5 (making a curve up as you move the right stick forward)

I now have a gimbal that rolls approximately 20% to the right as the Phantom yaws right. The gimbal tilts down from 0 to 40% of travel upon acceleration, and should adjust automatically as the craft tips forward... but tweaking will be needed to confirm.

Both auto tilt and roll are able to be turned off, and both work with the gimbal maintaining its leveling or proportional capability when auto rolling and tilting.

Since I have a 10ch radio- that still leaves 2 channels open for the retracts and another switched accessory.

Because there are so many gimbals and ways to connect and use them, I didn't want to go into detail over my specific set up in tutorial fashion- nobody uses my radio- but this can be easily done in the newer models of Futaba (and others)

I am curious who else has played with this, and if there is something I may be missing on the configurations... it works on the bench- it should work in the air.

sounds like you're having fun with it.

I've programmed a few similar things with my T8j,. tho it lacks some of the 10's features I guess.

I like having my gimbal roll a bit too sometimes.

Do either of you have any video where the effects of that type of programming are evident? I'm intrigued now by this idea of roll-when-yaw and pitch-when-accelerate, but I'm having trouble visualizing the end result.

OI Photography said:
Do either of you have any video where the effects of that type of programming are evident? I'm intrigued now by this idea of roll-when-yaw and pitch-when-accelerate, but I'm having trouble visualizing the end result.

why yes I do.
... tho I only did the Roll, don't think I'd wanna do pitch for my purposes.
the roll while banking makes for a bit more realistic kind of flying in some situations.
i even made a tutorial to show how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhdegeAPe0

Gizmo3000 said:
OI Photography said:

why yes I do.
... tho I only did the Roll, don't think I'd wanna do pitch for my purposes.
the roll while banking makes for a bit more realistic kind of flying in some situations.
i even made a tutorial to show how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhdegeAPe0

I figured you would lol. Ok, so it seems to make a roll+yaw turn in a Phantom feel and look (through FPV) like a traditional coordinated turn in an airplane...do I have that right? I watched the parts of the vid that weren't programming the Tx, and that seems to be the net effect.

OI Photography said:
... Ok, so it seems to make a roll+yaw turn in a Phantom feel and look (through FPV) like a traditional coordinated turn in an airplane...do I have that right? I watched the parts of the vid that weren't programming the Tx, and that seems to be the net effect.

Correct- or in my case, if you hold altitude, and follow a lane on a road, it is like riding a motorcycle... but when you come to a sharp bend in the road with a drop, you can edit the aerial footage into the gopro footage off the scoot, and make it seem like you flew ... which is what I hope to do eventually once I get all those little details right... beginning with setting up and flying a properly planned aerial rig.

I think I have some things up there a little skewed... channel wise- I have it right on the radio, but my channels are mixed up in the description.

Basically a curve is set for my pitch mixed with elevator in incremental from center (0) with it dropping 18 degrees at about half elevator, and a full 40 degrees at full elevator.

A p mix is set for the roll to mix with rudder (yaw) at around 20% posi and minus- no offset.

I imagine you are only limited by switches- this all is using the s bus 8 channels but my roll signal wire is connected to my Rx and not the Naza. My landing gear have been moved off channel 8, and put on channel 9 as I have a 10 channel radio and a 8-16 channel Rx.

I am deep into it... the more I learn the less I know. It is akin to playing the guitar.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl