Going to buy today-Advise

Reaction score
I've been looking reading, researching and so on. I think I have an idea of what is needed. It there a place I can contact that will have everything I need. I think I am leaning towards the Black Pearl. I would like to find a place who will help me so I don't buy the wrong thing. A place where they good customer service. I would like to actually talk to someone on the phone. I'm in the US. Any recommendations?
Thanks.

fwiw, Atlanta Hobby is very focused on multirotor craft, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable and the prices are competitive.

http://www.atlantahobby.com

assuming you have a P2 non-vision with a Zenmuse gimbal and gopro? Are you also putting in an iOSD mini? highly recommend.

-ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter
-DJI iOSD mini
-WITH iOSD: this plug and play cable http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter
-WITHOUT iOSD: this plug and play cable http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/d ... tter-cable
-RC display mount http://www.raveaerialvideo.com/product/ ... tor-mount/
-antennas. the stock antennas are complete crap, you need better ones. If they fit in your budget these are the best
-neck strap

I actually have all Boscam compatible equipment so I can't recommend you a specific display.

Yes,
P2
HD 3D
GoPro 3+ Black
That list is what I needed.
Question: What is a "iOSD" and what is its function? I understand all the other parts.

Thanks.

for a Phantom you want the DJI iOSD Mini, it's tiny and light. basically it sits inbetween the video signal (from the gimbal / Phantom main board) and the video transmitter and overlays telemetry info onto the screen... very useful information such as:

horizon bar (so you can see the tilt)
home point indicator
battery level
# of GPS satellites locked
height (from home point)
distance (from home point)
climb or descent rate (up/down speed)
lateral movement rate (forward/back/side speed)
and a few other little things such as your flight mode (GPS, ATTI, etc)

The iOSD Mini connects to the CAN-BUS port on the Phantom - watch the first 1-2 mins of this video it will show you how to move the CAN-BUS connector up into the body of the Phantom so you can plug the iOSD mini up in the shell and not have wires hanging around. The rest of the video is useful, but remember the parts about soldering cables does not apply if you simply buy that pre-made cable I linked before.

If you don't install one you will see ONLY the video feed from the gopro and when you're flying FPV it's easy to not watch the phantom to see for example the low battery warning. with the iOSD you have all the flight info you need right there on the screen, like a jet fighter or something :)
the image below is a screen grab from the iOSD Assistant sofware, in the picture with the sky/trees all the WHITE stuff is coming from the iOSD mini overlay
Nzmv2-iosd-mini3.png

If you're not into soldering, I use an AVL58 Transmitter with FPV hub for solder-less installation.

UrAwFuL said:
If you're not into soldering, I use an AVL58 Transmitter with FPV hub for solder-less installation.

If you go with the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter, firstpersonview makes those no-solder cables for both iOSD and non-iOSD installations.
check those links in my first post.

I don't have one, just going off what lots of people around here say the AVL58 is pretty much the last option in terms of cost / performance / power draw. absolutely in earlier days it was the first and only (for a time) no-solder solution with the fpv hub but then those cables from firstpersonview came on the scene and together make a stronger, most cost effective solution

QYV said:
UrAwFuL said:

If you go with the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter, firstpersonview makes those no-solder cables for both iOSD and non-iOSD installations.
check those links in my first post.

I don't have one, just going off what lots of people around here say the AVL58 is pretty much the last option in terms of cost / performance / power draw. absolutely in earlier days it was the first and only (for a time) no-solder solution with the fpv hub but then those cables from firstpersonview came on the scene and together make a stronger, most cost effective solution

Hmm, that's interesting. I've actually seen that cable when I was shopping for my FPV, I wonder what made me pick the AVL58 instead? :lol:

I think it was the price. :?

I might consider switching as I believe it should shed some weight (AVL58 = 39g, iRC = 16g). But right now my setup is fairly stable (at least my last flight was) although it was like 100g overweight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing