Going on a trip...

Reaction score
I am going on a trip to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park and would like to take my Phantom 4 with me. I have a couple of questions:

Is it true that it is illegal to use a drone in a all National Parks?

Also, since I will not have the ability to download my video until i get back, i was considering buying multiple 64 gb micro SD cards. Are there any particular ones that do not work well with the P4?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: rhoffart
yes it is true just leave it at home wont let you fly in the parks

The real question is : What do the Park Rangers / Local Law enfgorcement do if one is "caught" flying in the National Parks and plead ignorance?

Do they fine you?
Do they confiscate your drone?
Do they jail you?
Do they bend you over a rock?

Do they look the other way?

Ive been to Bryce Canyon and Zion years ago and never once saw anyone remotely resembling a law enforcement officer or Ranger. I was a young kid at the time and admittedly my perception is quite different now.

Park Rangers will find you a lot easier with a UAV buzzing over your head... If they
don't, people that don't like drones will gladly let them know where you are.

Fines for flying drones in a national park can exceed $1,000, but fines are usually much less.
I'm sure if you're disturbing wildlife, or buzzing visitors you could pay over $100 easy. The
more irresponsible you are the bigger your fine I'm sure. There's no jail, but they might confiscate
your Phantom until you exit the park. Any way you look at it, it'll ruin your day.

I am going on a trip to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park and would like to take my Phantom 4 with me. I have a couple of questions:

Is it true that it is illegal to use a drone in a all National Parks?

Also, since I will not have the ability to download my video until i get back, i was considering buying multiple 64 gb micro SD cards. Are there any particular ones that do not work well with the P4?

Thanks in advance.

I just got back ... please take it. There are plenty of great places to fly outside of the parks. There are a ton of pull-offs to stop and fly. I haven't finished editing all my video but I got some great shots. I did a lot of 5 bracketed shot that I will HDR.

Reactions: hotelzululima
here are a few from our road trip ...
arch.jpg
DJI_0019.jpg
DJI_0024.jpg
rock1.jpg

Thanks Rhoffart. I have decided to take it for the very reason you did. I will not take into the NP, but everthing around and on the way. I believe we should respect the laws. The worst thing we can do for our reputation is violtate the law for our own selfish gain.

You forgot the main question! Does the drone want to come along? :)
Joke aside, if you have a laptop use it to download your videos and free the SD card. I only have a 32Gb SD card and a laptop, never needed more SD cards. I did the same with my late Canon 5D Mk III, only had 2 cards in the camera.

2 SD cards 16 or 32 GB should be all what you need in any trip , at least two batteries , a laptop with 300 GB or more free hard drive , 2 sets of propellers , and do not forget your charger perfectly if you have a car charger.
Regarding the national parks , I would not break the law although I do not feel it is fair. As a rule when we do not like any law , we need to fight to change it not to break it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: igor.L
2 SD cards 16 or 32 GB should be all what you need in any trip , at least two batteries , a laptop with 300 GB or more free hard drive , 2 sets of propellers , and do not forget your charger perfectly if you have a car charger.
Regarding the national parks , I would not break the law although I do not feel it is fair. As a rule when we do not like any law , we need to fight to change it not to break it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Agreed!

"Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
Such a fine sight to see
It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me"

Where's the statue?

Cool. I just noticed the Ford. Is it part of the display?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl