Go pro Hero 3+ black lacking sharpness and washed out

I had focus issues with an early production run of the 3+ Black, which resulted in an uneven focus, especially in the bottom left of the frame, but it was a bit more pronounced than what your video is showing. GoPro replaced the camera free of charge under warranty, and the difference between the two was extreme.

Check the serial number inside the battery compartment. If it has 0813, 0913, 1013, 1113, it most likely has the production focus issues, and you should be able to return it for a newer one, assuming it's still under warranty (the digits will be split between the two lines, with the final "3" being the first digit on the second line).

If you're not still under warranty, you can try the manual fix outlined here, although it's probably not for the squeamish:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLdpSRMsEs[/youtube]

As for the washed out look, it looks like you're getting a lot of flare from the sun, but it's kind of hard to tell. Are you using any filters or other protective lens covers? It doesn't seem quite as bad when you're pointed away from the sun. Do you get the same issues when flying around the middle of the day, with the sun more overhead?

You can also try turning on spot metering to get it to set brightness levels based on the center of the frame as opposed to a more generalized average. If you have a bright sky in the background, it will average the overall brightness to fit that, and any darker foreground will get muddy. Off the top of my head, I don't remember if spot metering is a ProTune-only setting, but dig around and I'm sure you'll find it.

And have you updated to the latest firmware? It offers a few additional settings to help control the exposure, including max ISO and a manual exposure override, but again, I'm not sure if these are ProTune exclusive settings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Cary

serial is 0314... should i be looking at a filter for the lens? thank you for the detailed response... and yea. im going to steer clear of that due to the serial lol. i watched it last night and said ah hell when he pulled out those gigantic pliers haha

It really looks like you shot it in ProTune mode - perhaps the camera is defaulting to that mode. Did you shoot in ProTune to check too?. I just shot some footage with the GP3 in Protune which looked exactly the same. In post I added saturation and contrast, and a little sharpening and got nice results. Because of the fall lighting conditions looking at the sun made the foreground dark in some segments but that is not surprising.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmZp-lgkXFE[/youtube]

Mike

DrTelemark said:
It really looks like you shot it in ProTune mode - perhaps the camera is defaulting to that mode. Did you shoot in ProTune to check too?. I just shot some footage with the GP3 in Protune which looked exactly the same. In post I added saturation and contrast, and a little sharpening and got nice results. Because of the fall lighting conditions looking at the sun made the foreground dark in some segments but that is not surprising.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmZp-lgkXFE[/youtube]

Mike

Yea. Yours looks good. Mine looks awful. But I'll try it again this weekend. I'm 100% confident I did not shoot in protune. I just bought the camera 2nd hand and did a hard reset. I'm concerned the camera may have an issue with the lens. Should I try lowering the FPS? I know the sd card isn't the best. I wonder if the camera could be struggling to write the data. Anything else I should try?

Thanks again for the help gentleman.

It doesn't look like anything really out of the range of material I've seen. Its certainly usable and if you have access to some editing software, you could boos the contrast and see some better results. I agree that some of it may be the flight direction around the sun as well as the overall scenery since it is a mixture of gray and green.

Not sure if the Hero 3+ has any color functions outside of protune.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl