Go ahead....call me stupid.

Reaction score
Well, today was supposed to be a great day. I was finally able to scratch up enough cash and purchase my first gimbal...the Stella.

I've been flying my 1.1.1 for about 8 months now, and have had a relatively trouble-free experience, however this was my first real RC purchase. There have been hiccups along the way, but overall good.

Installing a Stella is not super easy, and there really is no where to get the info...I've been looking everywhere for a while now in preparation. So I gave it a go myself. Soldered the power cable to a relay to one of the motors. All seemed to power up fine. Ran the pitch cable to F2, and the gopro instantly pitches straight down upon power up. Not sure what that problem is, as the tilt lever doesn't affect it...regardless, I was heading towards troubleshooting this, when I decided to put everything back together. In my haste, I figured I didn't need to put my prop guards back on as I simply was going to test things out and troubleshoot the pitch.

So I screwed everything back into place...well here is the hell of it...I screwed the screws that came with the prop guards not realizing they would damage the motors. Once I powered up, all the motors just stuttered. I assumed it was bad soldering on my part, but nope..a quick search here confirmed I had killed all 4 of my motors.

I understand this is a newb mistake, but I honestly had no idea there would be anything wrong with using those screws. Didn't think for a sec that I had to go back in to my now 8-month old memory bank to remember I used longer screws that came with the prop guards.

Anyhow, instead of enjoying my Stella today after long months of waiting and saving....I have a Blackhawk down...and now must wait and save for new motors that I will have to solder in....sigh.

Oh well, I guess that's what makes this a hobby...learn as you go, and don't make the same mistakes twice. Sure seems dumb though for the design of the motors...but I also guess in this case...I'm just stupid.

robfern said:
Well, today was supposed to be a great day. I was finally able to scratch up enough cash and purchase my first gimbal...the Stella.

I've been flying my 1.1.1 for about 8 months now, and have had a relatively trouble-free experience, however this was my first real RC purchase. There have been hiccups along the way, but overall good.

Installing a Stella is not super easy, and there really is no where to get the info...I've been looking everywhere for a while now in preparation. So I gave it a go myself. Soldered the power cable to a relay to one of the motors. All seemed to power up fine. Ran the pitch cable to F2, and the gopro instantly pitches straight down upon power up. Not sure what that problem is, as the tilt lever doesn't affect it...regardless, I was heading towards troubleshooting this, when I decided to put everything back together. In my haste, I figured I didn't need to put my prop guards back on as I simply was going to test things out and troubleshoot the pitch.

So I screwed everything back into place...well here is the hell of it...I screwed the screws that came with the prop guards not realizing they would damage the motors. Once I powered up, all the motors just stuttered. I assumed it was bad soldering on my part, but nope..a quick search here confirmed I had killed all 4 of my motors.

I understand this is a newb mistake, but I honestly had no idea there would be anything wrong with using those screws. Didn't think for a sec that I had to go back in to my now 8-month old memory bank to remember I used longer screws that came with the prop guards.

Anyhow, instead of enjoying my Stella today after long months of waiting and saving....I have a Blackhawk down...and now must wait and save for new motors that I will have to solder in....sigh.

Oh well, I guess that's what makes this a hobby...learn as you go, and don't make the same mistakes twice. Sure seems dumb though for the design of the motors...but I also guess in this case...I'm just stupid.

Only to make you happy..

YOU ARE SO STUPID!!

Actually you are not the first person to make this very easy to make mistake. I am very sorry to hear about this but perhaps this might be of interest to you..

(I am not sure since they have prop nuts...but I hope you recover quickly.)
thanks for sharing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiger-T-Motor-A ... 3f3c89ea25

Lol, thanks Wedeliver!

Now I gotta say....HOW STUPID AM I?

Old joke, I know.

New Tiger motors on the way....thanks for the nudge!

Robfern

robfern said:
Lol, thanks Wedeliver!

Now I gotta say....HOW STUPID AM I?

Old joke, I know.

New Tiger motors on the way....thanks for the nudge!

Robfern

The best school in the world is "The School of Hard Knocks" we really learn when we screw up. Good luck with your upgraded flying machine. Oh I should mention that I am an Alumni from the above mentioned school. Actually still attending.

If you dont mind sending me a pm to get my attention when you try out the new motors.. thanks robfern! happy flying

You can't be an expert until you've made all the mistakes. ;)

Though reading and/or hearing about some makes it less expensive. :lol:

Indeed RW....I'm hoping my mistake will save someone lots of money in the future.

I expect the motors to arrive today. I get to test out my crappy soldering skills again.

Robfern

Look at the bright side, it could have be worse. I just got my H3-3D gimbel on and then lost my Phantom. I dont have any motors to change now. :eek:

It does suck to upgrade something and be all ready to see it in action and then.................................

Your not the first & not going to be the last to make that mistake .
Make things a little easer get yourself (12) 3.5mm bullet connectors then you can plug/unplug the motors .
GL!

Welcome to the prestigious "unscheduled motor replacement" club! Prop guard removal has made DJI a ton of money and helped improve soldering skills for thousands in our elite guild...

Fred, so sorry for your loss. To defer also being a member of your club, hopefully we all are (or soon will be) using trackers,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl