Gimbal Sudden Tilt Glitch

Thanks 'Gadget Guy' (do you have a name?) I am going to try reducing the recording resolution as suggested by John Locke. I think that you are absolutely right in suspecting the playback system, so reducing the res should solve problem. But, I will have a word with my son and ask to borrow his gaming equipment!
Creating proxies are somewhat over my head .......
The P4P cannot handle 4096x2160 at 60fps without frequent video glitches. However, they aren't dropped frames that will show up as hesitation. They are actual video glitches where between 5 and 30 frames are clearly corrupted and pixelated on the lower half of the frame, preceded by a repeated frame before the last good frame. Switching to 3840x2160 4K at 60fps will completely eliminate those video glitches, but still won't fix your playback issue, which is processor and video card related. Also, try MPC-HC as your videoplayer. It works better than VLC on 4K at 60fps. For more information on what hardware is needed to best handle 4K video in Premiere Pro CC 2017, see Recommended System: Recommended Systems for Adobe Premiere Pro

Last edited:
Mine (P4P) did this the other day at a job when I powered it up. Gave its tones then went cockeyed. Swift kick to the opposite side fixed it.

J/k...reboot bird and let it reinitialize and all has been well since.

Thank you for that, John. I'll switch to UHD at 38409x2160 and try it out. I did back off from 4k but, without checking, I think that I am at 4096 right now.
I'll also have a go at 5.8 Ghz AUTO for increase in range.

Switch to using a Sandisk Extreme pro, I've moved up to a 128 gig, and it no longer exhibits that issue, for me! I hated that!

I am having the same issue. Almost every flight or so.
Triggering event: camera facing the horizon i.e not looking down, turning the gimbal to the left while turning the quad to the right. Typically, you want to make a nice 360 degree around a POI without using the POI feature.
Wind? It happened to me when wind was ok (20 km/h) and some times around 30-35 km/h, European kind of guy so unable to use other strange units :D

So, my question is: were you able guys to solve it? Is there a workaournd?
In my case, I tried other automatic modes and the glitsch happened as well.
I will work on a video with all the times this happened and link it.

I hope we can find a way to solve it because: other than the sudden emotions, it kind of ruins the shooting.

I am having the same issue. Almost every flight or so.
Triggering event: camera facing the horizon i.e not looking down, turning the gimbal to the left while turning the quad to the right. Typically, you want to make a nice 360 degree around a POI without using the POI feature.
Wind? It happened to me when wind was ok (20 km/h) and some times around 30-35 km/h, European kind of guy so unable to use other strange units :D

So, my question is: were you able guys to solve it? Is there a workaournd?
In my case, I tried other automatic modes and the glitsch happened as well.
I will work on a video with all the times this happened and link it.

I hope we can find a way to solve it because: other than the sudden emotions, it kind of ruins the shooting.
There is a reason that Go 4 has high wind warnings. It isn't because you need to fly cautiously, as they say. It is because the P4P gimbal can't handle any wind over 6 miles per hour, without flipping the gimbal, while flying sideways or while making moderate speed turns into the wind, even with OA turned on, limiting speed to 30mph. It is a design defect of the gimbal which can't handle the heavier P4P camera. Some P4P gimbals exhibit this worse than others. Only solution is to find one that is less flippy, or not fly in any wind, or just edit them out and fly slower, which lowers the pitch angle, and the necessary gimbal compensation before adding in the wind. I hate it, too! :mad:

Reactions: why
There is a reason that Go 4 has high wind warnings. It isn't because you need to fly cautiously, as they say. It is because the P4P gimbal can't handle any wind over 6 miles per hour, without flipping the gimbal, while flying sideways or while making moderate speed turns into the wind, even with OA turned on, limiting speed to 30mph. It is a design defect of the gimbal which can't handle the heavier P4P camera. Some P4P gimbals exhibit this worse than others. Only solution is to find one that is less flippy, or not fly in any wind, or just edit them out and fly slower, which lowers the pitch angle, and the necessary gimbal compensation before adding in the wind. I hate it, too! :mad:
Mine is only doing a slight flip at 20mph plus and it's not all the time either. It does suck in the middle of a nice pass though!

Mine is only doing a slight flip at 20mph plus and it's not all the time either. It does suck in the middle of a nice pass though!
So, can you confirm that it only happens when the high wind warning message is also being displayed?

It really does suck! It is also very disconcerting, because that is exactly the way the FPV view begins in a crash! Ask me how I know! :eek: It is especially annoying if it happens as you are landing on fumes, as you have to wait for the FPV to level out again, to see where you are going, losing precious mAh! You also have to cut out more than just the flipped frames, as any transition will blend in the flipped extracted frames! If you needed any of those cut out frames, you are screwed. You will have to reshoot.

So, can you confirm that it only happens when the high wind warning message is also being displayed?

It really does suck! It is also very disconcerting, because that is exactly the way the FPV view begins in a crash! Ask me how I know! :eek: It is especially annoying if it happens as you are landing on fumes, as you have to wait for the FPV to level out again, to see where you are going, losing precious mAh! You also have to cut out more than just the flipped frames, as any transition will blend in the flipped extracted frames! If you needed any of those cut out frames, you are screwed. You will have to reshoot.
Yes, mine is only doing it with the warnings on. But it has been pretty gusty when it does it. But it still sucks. But the slight twitch that mine had out of the box was fixed with last update. And my horizon is almost perfect all the time now as well. So good with the bad I guess. My biggest gripe is the stupid lockout around med to small airports! Such a hassle at times!

Please clarify which issue. This tread as mentioned a few.

The sudden gimbal glitch...

Thanks for yout swift answer. It means that there is no easy workaround...
Disappointing!

Because I had a P3A before and I never had such issues. And then, I upgraded to P4P and I am facing this issue.
Anyway, I need to work on a quick video to show this issue first. If it is a design flaw, then nothing can be done.

Yes, mine is only doing it with the warnings on. But it has been pretty gusty when it does it. But it still sucks. But the slight twitch that mine had out of the box was fixed with last update. And my horizon is almost perfect all the time now as well. So good with the bad I guess. My biggest gripe is the stupid lockout around med to small airports! Such a hassle at times!
It's almost always windy on the coast. It's annoying to be constantly reminded of it during flight, especially when accompanied by the flips flying sideways into the wind. My horizon is now also finally level which is really more important, and ironically, the mandatory GEO updates actually fixed my GEO geographic limitations imposed with GEO off under the old settings! More places to fly! Can't have everything, I suppose! :cool:

The sudden gimbal glitch...

Thanks for yout swift answer. It means that there is no easy workaround...
Disappointing!

Because I had a P3A before and I never had such issues. And then, I upgraded to P4P and I am facing this issue.
Anyway, I need to work on a quick video to show this issue first. If it is a design flaw, then nothing can be done.
Are you using any type of filter? Sometimes that can exacerbate the problem, if it adds any weight to the camera, like the GND and PL filters do. Others have tried adding counterbalance weights to one side of the camera, and adding external batteries will also help stabilize the aircraft in the wind. I am considering the latter option myself, to extend flight time anyway. Paul at FPVCustoms.com does a nice P4P battery mod for $250 plus the cost of the batteries. That may kill two birds with one stone! :cool:

Are you using any type of filter? Sometimes that can exacerbate the problem, if it adds any weight to the camera, like the GND and PL filters do. Others have tried adding counterbalance weights to one side of the camera, and adding external batteries will also help stabilize the aircraft in the wind. I am considering the latter option myself, to extend flight time anyway. Paul at FPVCustoms.com does a nice P4P battery mod for $250 plus the cost of the batteries. That may kill two birds with one stone! :cool:

Here comes the video...

To answer your question: in some shootings, yes, I do use a ND filter. Depends on the conditions: sunny or not. But most of the times, it was without the ND filter.
By the way, I use the official DJI ND filters.

Here comes the video...

To answer your question: in some shootings, yes, I do use a ND filter. Depends on the conditions: sunny or not. But most of the times, it was without the ND filter.
By the way, I use the official DJI ND filters.
The DJI ND filters weigh the same as the stock UV filter, so it isn't that. Your video clearly shows the flips we have all seen on flippy gimbal aircraft. If you can return it for exchange, try another one. The flip frequency varies from aircraft to aircraft. Yours looks particularly bad, as is mine. Alternatively, send it in to DJI for warranty replacement. They might have better gimbals now, but I doubt it. Maybe you will just get a better one.

Reactions: why
The DJI ND filters weigh the same as the stock UV filter, so it isn't that. Your video clearly shows the flips we have all seen on flippy gimbal aircraft. If you can return it for exchange, try another one. The flip frequency varies from aircraft to aircraft. Yours looks particularly bad, as is mine. Alternatively, send it in to DJI for warranty replacement. They might have better gimbals now, but I doubt it. Maybe you will just get a better one.

I'll do that.
I live in China and I already had a repair on my P4P as the camera froze almost every time.
I'll try to talk to them about replacement and see what would happen. Only thing bothering me is that I was planning many missions in the coming weeks...

Anyway, thanks for your answer. A pity that this kind of issue is happening to a rather expensive quadcopter...

I'll do that.
I live in China and I already had a repair on my P4P as the camera froze almost every time.
I'll try to talk to them about replacement and see what would happen. Only thing bothering me is that I was planning many missions in the coming weeks...

Anyway, thanks for your answer. A pity that this kind of issue is happening to a rather expensive quadcopter...
Welcome to my world! I'm on my 11th P4P now, and still haven't found one yet, without any issues. It's best to have at least one backup bird, while the other one is in the shop for warranty issues. I have two! :cool:

Didnt they do something with the gimbal on the obsidian? And not just the coating. My opinion is they fixed this issue but never came out and said that. This has been a constant issue since the p4p was released. Will be waiting to see if the Oobsidian has this same issue or not. I would puke if I paid $1500 for a drone that does this. Never had an issue with my p3p.

Didnt they do something with the gimbal on the obsidian? And not just the coating. My opinion is they fixed this issue but never came out and said that. This has been a constant issue since the p4p was released. Will be waiting to see if the Oobsidian has this same issue or not. I would puke if I paid $1500 for a drone that does this. Never had an issue with my p3p.
That's the rumor. Perhaps initiated by DJI. Maybe that's why they won't discount the Obsidian. Fancier gimbals cost more money. No firm confirmation yet, though. I suspect the original white P4P gimbal is the same as the P4 gimbal, and just can't quite handle the slightly larger heavier P4P camera. P3P gimbal was specifically designed for the P3P, rather than just repurposed from the P2v+. DJI has had a year to make a better gimbal but doesn't want to admit the original isn't up to the job, so they created the High Wind warnings instead, blaming it on your flying, when they deemed the winds too high for safe flying on the P4P, when it is really the flippy gimbal in any wind. :cool:

I thought these Obsidian models were shipping now. Doesn't anyone have one yet to test for gimbal flips? It's real easy to test. Go fast, 44mph in S mode and make hard a right turn, or left turn. Do you see the camera view flip 90 degrees sideways?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor