Gimbal set screw adjustment

Reaction score
I managed to fix a binding noise I was getting on my p3 adv gimbal yaw arm. I loosened the set screw raised the arm in the middle of the shaft and turned the yaw motor shaft to ensure the set screw sits on the flat/D of the shaft.

So turn drone on, IMU cal, gimbal calibration. Now my camera yaw is off centre by a good few degree's. Is the something I can do to get my camera bask to centre point? Tilt is still perfectly level.

Help would be appreciated!

Did u try a gimbal automatic adjustment? It never worked for me but what the hell. It is on the go app under the gimbal sign. near the bottom.

I grind the flat side of the shaft with the set screw. I round off the shaft so that I can make the custom soft adjustment. The set screw will now tighten to where ever I want on the yaw shaft motor of the gimbal. I have had perfect success in this method. Good luck!:cool:

Reactions: Numone
Not so sure I am that handy with a grinder...if the camera and set screw was seated before and the yaw axis was aligned it should be able to be done again? I have ensured it's set straight on the flat perhaps before it was off centre from the flat hence the grinding noise's I was getting.

Ok so problem has been resolved, the set screw was over torqued at the factory which left a hole/dimple on the flat of the shaft. While the screw was secured tight it had play due to the dimple on the shaft.

Ok so problem has been resolved, the set screw was over torqued at the factory which left a hole/dimple on the flat of the shaft. While the screw was secured tight it had play due to the dimple on the shaft.

I am having similar issues with my P3P camera facing slightly left. I loosened up the shaft set screw and attempted to re-position the gimbal on the shaft but no change in camera orientation to drone front, still about 3-4 degrees left. You mentioned a dimple in the shaft causing problem. What did you do to fix problem. I should add that when drone is powered off the camera faces straight ahead. It doesn't point left until after powering up and camera does its little startup dance.

I grind the flat side of the shaft with the set screw. I round off the shaft so that I can make the custom soft adjustment. The set screw will now tighten to where ever I want on the yaw shaft motor of the gimbal. I have had perfect success in this method. Good luck!:cool:

Do you have a Youtube video that gives more detail information on this fix?

Not really, but it is simple using a basic file to round off the yaw shaft. Once you do that, you will be able to soft tighten the set screw to any position.

my method to fix a gimbal facing left or right is to remove the magnet and then put it just to the left or right of the flat. This is a good fix as you can put the set screw back on the flat. However it is very time consuming and not to be done by most. The magnet breaks very easy. You need a torch to heat the shaft and you have to gently remove it. You have to mark the magnet so you know where it was when you started and you have to experiment on the right location before you use red loctite when you get it right. Your method is how I started out and the SAFEST for most guys. I recommend it.

my method to fix a gimbal facing left or right is to remove the magnet and then put it just to the left or right of the flat. This is a good fix as you can put the set screw back on the flat. However it is very time consuming and not to be done by most. The magnet breaks very easy. You need a torch to heat the shaft and you have to gently remove it. You have to mark the magnet so you know where it was when you started and you have to experiment on the right location before you use red loctite when you get it right. Your method is how I started out and the SAFEST for most guys. I recommend it.

I have read a post from a Russian user that talks about the magnetic positioning. I am almost, repeat almost, attempted to try this fix. How many magnetic relocations have you done. Does heating the shaft release the red loctite, assuming the factory used permanent loctite? Do you have any thoughts on reprogramming the eeprom? Here is a link to a thread from March, 2016 that talks about the magnetic fix.

Gimbal horizon roll problem [SOLVED BY NOT IMU CAL]

Thanks for your input and sharing your knowledge.

That sums it up pretty good. Thanks for the link.
Start by marking the magnet by scratching it with a line at the center of the flat so you know where to start.
When I heat the shaft I put a pair of needle nose pliers under the magnet to stop the heat from moving down the shaft to the motor. Very small pliers. I give a little upward pry on the magnet and gently free it. Then I cool the shaft with a damp cloth. Next I clean the rest of the loctite off.
I put the magnet back where it was and make sure it fits easy and not too tight. The shaft must be clean.
Next I move the line I scratched to the edge of the flat area. either left or right.
Reassemble everything and try it. You may have to move it to the other side or even just move it a little at a time around the shaft until you find the right spot. I have done it as many as 20 small moves but eventually you get it right.
Now you can use red loctite to set it. Just a tiny bit. Try it again before it sets. You can move it a bit for a very short time.
I repair cameras and have a pile of these yaw motors with magnets. I have broken a few magnets by hurrying.!!

Reactions: FlyingCircles

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka