Gimbal Protectors - Do you use one?

I used one, crashed, and have not used it on my new Phantom. I may upset some people, but I actually think they cause more potential harm than they do good. The carbon fiber is WAY harder than the plastic landing gear. Add the zip ties and you've now made your landing gear (legs) much stiffer and they do not have any ability to flex. In a crash two of my legs snapped and I really believe it was due to the gimbal guard.

I have these
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451540704.106859.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451540721.779891.jpg

Sfgiants24 - it is a guard/protect the gimbal/camera for times that you may either land/crash hard or land whereby a stone/rock protrudes up between the landing gear so as to damage the camera and gimbal.

It does not aid in landing.

My thinking here is that a protector is $20 or less, which may be a worthwhile "insurance" against potential damage of over $600 for camera/gimbal replacement.

Does anybody know if it affects flight performance?

Hey zinuhe. Looks cool. Does it affect flight performance in any way?

Litz that's a fair point you make. Just wondering if using it without the ties as suggested by bluer101 above may help.

When you crashed did the protector "save" the camera/gimbal?

Just purchased and installed a "skyreat" carbonfiber Gimbal protector. My thought, let the airframe take the hit and not the $400-500 gimbal

Ken, that's what I'm thinking. In case of a crash, I don't mind replacing $20 legs to save a $600 camera and gimbal.

I used one, crashed, and have not used it on my new Phantom. I may upset some people, but I actually think they cause more potential harm than they do good. The carbon fiber is WAY harder than the plastic landing gear. Add the zip ties and you've now made your landing gear (legs) much stiffer and they do not have any ability to flex. In a crash two of my legs snapped and I really believe it was due to the gimbal guard.
Legs are cheap and easy to replace. It's suppose to protect the expensive gimbal. Did your gimbal get damaged when you crashed?

Litz that's a fair point you make. Just wondering if using it without the ties as suggested by bluer101 above may help.

When you crashed did the protector "save" the camera/gimbal?
Nope. It broke e landing legs in two places and also sheared the camera and gimbal completely off. The gimbal guard was still attached. I'm sure there are situations where it would be helpful, but I always take off from level surfaces and I hand catch most landings. I think the guard may help if landing on uneven surfaces but I don't think it will offer anything in a crash. That's my experience at least.

I bought one but returned it since I've been exclusively landing on concrete or flat open fields.

Nope, makes it hard to fit into hardshell case as well.

I bought one but have not used it yet. Instead of using the zip ties and having to modify the case, I cut thin strips of Velcro ties. That will make it removable. I have read that the prop guards act as sails on the P3. How are these gimbal protectors affecting the flight on the P3?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164