Gimbal Protectors - Do you use one?

Reaction score
I'm Curious to know if my fellow P3 Pilots use Gimbal/Camera Protectors.

I'm talking about the Carbon Fibre Plate that is installed (Usually with ties) between the horizontal part of the landing gear under the Camera on the P3.

If you use one, do you feel that has it ever saved your Camera/Gimbal?

I've purchased a carbon fiber one, awaiting delivery. Yet to see if I've use it or not, but it comes down hard enough already, will see if it create any other issues.

I have one but no zip ties needed, it fits very snug. I also have a gimbal saver, the metal plate to protect from arm separation.

No, I don't use it and don't feel the need of it.

i dont think either is a necessity but if you do plan on getting something, gimbal saver would probably be a better investment than a gimbal guard.

I thought about buying one. But my issue with it was I can see it landing on a not so level surface and a small object poking up would put pressure on the plate, thus allowing the bird to tip over.

Otherwise I think it's a great idea. There really is no true win win solution in this case.

I guess I like to live on the edge. Plus I need an excuse to upgrade to the P4 anyway.

Yeah, I just use the plastic gimble lock that came with it. I'll be getting a cover for the camera too.
I think the gimbal protectors we are discussing here are those carbon fibre plate covering the bottom part of the camera in case you land your Phantom hard on an uneven ground and this plate prevents the rock for hitting your camera. Which is different to the plastic gimbal lock you are talking about for securing the camera during transportation.

I guess I like to live on the edge. Plus I need an excuse to upgrade to the P4 anyway.
Haha I also like a reason to upgrade to the P4 but I also prefer my P3 to be intact so I can sell it off and fund for the upgrade :p

Last edited:
Never saw the need for that goofy thing. I do however use one piece that to me could be worth it

Dynamic 3D Solutions

I don't see the need for a gimbal guard. The bird is very easy to land. Is it for the occasion where you hit so hard the camera bounces, breaking the gimbal?

I bought a gimbal guard only to realize it would keep my Phantom from properly setting in the Hard shell backpack I use. I opted not to install it until I decide whether i want to modify my the backpack.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl