Gimbal needs adjustment

Reaction score
Took my new Phantom2 V+ v.3 out for my 3rd flight with video and realized later that the horizon was behaving badly, that is the gimbal wasn't keeping level as the craft rolled. I checked DJI Forum's help files and saw that I should calibrate the gimbal with the Phantom2 3.8 desktop software.

I did an IMU calibration, don't think it was the advanced one...
The unsmooth operation of the gimbal is both with and w/o power when I'm testing it by hand. It seems to 'catch' on a gentle roll then recover.
Here's a screen shot of the Gimbal config. How best to configure it? All settings are at zero. It starts to remain level as I tilt it, but seems to 'catch' then keeps moving. Same thing on the opposite roll.
---> FPV Mode is/was NOT checked, not sure why it is in this screen shot.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Gimbal config screen.jpg
    Gimbal config screen.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 478
Firstly, I think your FPV is still on. Try and disable it in the DJI app with your Smart/phone/device. You know its still on as it does NOT level/follow the horizon.

Secondly, you shouldn't be seeing that Gimbal config screen unless you have a H33D installed. If you do however see that screen, it means your vision plus isn't turned on or plugged.

Mako79 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:30 pm
Firstly, I think your FPV is still on. Try and disable it in the DJI app with your Smart/phone/device. You know its still on as it does NOT level/follow the horizon.
Secondly, you shouldn't be seeing that Gimbal config screen unless you have a H33D installed. If you do however see that screen, it means your vision plus isn't turned on or plugged.
------------------------------------
Thanks, Mako, for the reply. As I noted in my last sentence,
FPV Mode is/was NOT checked, not sure why it is in this screen shot.
And I'll double check, in the morning, if I had the vision+ plugged in or not. I'm nearly positive that a guy on the DJI phone line said I needed to see that screen and do a config. but he didn't say how... And someone else on the DJI forum said that the 3 levels of the Gimbal config. screen needed to be at Zero.

I'm a new Phantom pilot. Only 3 flight so far and I've never had so much tweaking to do to get the craft to do what it's supposed to do. Previously I had a Blade 350QX3 AP version and it was effortless, except when parts began falling off. The Phantom is much better built, but sure has a hell of a lot of problems. All I want to do is take some aerial video. I spend hours studying and tweaking for a few minutes of flying. I'm beginning to lose patience with this quad.

I am 3 hours north of you in Fort Bragg and I repair Drones/multirotors for a living. The issue you are having I have been seeing more of. It appears to be a quality control problem in the potentiometers manufacturing plant. I have been finding scars on the semiconductive surfaces of the potentiometers. It makes for a twitch in the gimbal. I repaired 2 last month that had similar problems, and somewhere around 25 gimbals that where also bent or crashed and no longer functioning. This does not count Visions and other manufacturers ;)

Ps: I have tried uploading a picture repeatedly and it keeps timing out on me. Perhaps tomorrow.

How about reading your manual ? Do a advanced imu config.
That gimbal config page your looking at is NOT for the plus.
Make sure you have all the latest firmware loaded in the assistant.

burlbark said:
I am 3 hours north of you in Fort Bragg and I repair Drones/multirotors for a living. The issue you are having I have been seeing more of. It appears to be a quality control problem in the potentiometers manufacturing plant. I have been finding scars on the semiconductive surfaces of the potentiometers. It makes for a twitch in the gimbal. I repaired 2 last month that had similar problems, and somewhere around 25 gimbals that where also bent or crashed and no longer functioning. This does not count Visions and other manufacturers ;)

Ps: I have tried uploading a picture repeatedly and it keeps timing out on me. Perhaps tomorrow.
Thanks, Burlbark. Yours is the clearest explanation I've gotten. I keep getting, "read your manual", "do this or that configuration". ****, for the money and time I've spent on this quad, I at least expect it to not only fly well (which it has so far), but equally important: record flawless video!
I'll check back to see if you're able to upload that picture. Plus, I'll be back in Ft. Bragg in a month, so send me your location. It'd be fun to chat at least.

old_guy said:
Here's a screen shot of the Gimbal config. How best to configure it? All settings are at zero. It starts to remain level as I tilt it, but seems to 'catch' then keeps moving. Same thing on the opposite roll.

If the screenshot is your own, for a start you have the wrong assistant.
There is no adjustment options screen like that for the Vision Plus.
If you are 'unchecking' FPV in the Phantom2 software it probably isn't doing anything to your Plus.
Your description of a sort of delayed response sounds exactly like it is in FPV mode which is the default until you switch it off..

We'll before I thought about repairing anything I would make sure I have the right assistant loaded. I f you don't take the time to read your manual and maybe look at some you tube videos. You will probably crash , then you will be complaining what a piece of crap it is.
Make sure you have the correct assistant running calibrate everything. Especially a advance IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface.

old_guy said:
burlbark said:

Thanks, Burlbark. Yours is the clearest explanation I've gotten. I keep getting, "read your manual", "do this or that configuration". ****, for the money and time I've spent on this quad, I at least expect it to not only fly well (which it has so far), but equally important: record flawless video!
I'll check back to see if you're able to upload that picture. Plus, I'll be back in Ft. Bragg in a month, so send me your location. It'd be fun to chat at least.

There is allot of knowledge on the forum and they are correct about having the right assistant for your PC. You screen shot shows an incorrect version.

However you should be able to use your DJI app on your smart device and check to see if FPV is checked. You will want it to be unchecked and grey in color not green. Check to make sure this is not the problem. However this will not make a twitchy gimbal, it will follow roll but not twitch. If you do hit the maximum range of motion it will go limp and then kick back in after the quad has recovered from extreme banking. Twitching is intermittent potentiometer values.

Jeremy
PS I will PM you with contact info, let me know when you come on up.

Mori55 said:
We'll before I thought about repairing anything I would make sure I have the right assistant loaded. I f you don't take the time to read your manual and maybe look at some you tube videos. You will probably crash , then you will be complaining what a piece of crap it is.
Make sure you have the correct assistant running calibrate everything. Especially a advance IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface.

Thanks, Mori55 for your NY attitude. If I had a dollar for each time I did the advanced IMU calibration I'd be rich enough to afford a Yuneec 500Q. It's pretty well known that the weak link in this Phantom IS the gimbal.

burlbark said:
old_guy said:
burlbark said:

Thanks, Jeremy. I spent 2 years in the Ft. Bragg area in the mid-80's. Plan on being back for a few days in late April.

There is allot of knowledge on the forum and they are correct about having the right assistant for your PC. You screen shot shows an incorrect version.

However you should be able to use your DJI app on your smart device and check to see if FPV is checked. You will want it to be unchecked and grey in color not green. Check to make sure this is not the problem. However this will not make a twitchy gimbal, it will follow roll but not twitch. If you do hit the maximum range of motion it will go limp and then kick back in after the quad has recovered from extreme banking. Twitching is intermittent potentiometer values.

Jeremy
PS I will PM you with contact info, let me know when you come on up.

old_guy said:
Mori55 said:

Thanks, Mori55 for your NY attitude. If I had a dollar for each time I did the advanced IMU calibration I'd be rich enough to afford a Yuneec 500Q. It's pretty well known that the weak link in this Phantom IS the gimbal.
NJ attitude , but if you want to go and drive 3hrs and pay someone to fix it , go ahead. Seems like you have a pretty nice attitude yourself..
The reason I say read the manual and do some searches is this happens all the time. People buy the phantom charge it and go fly , then something happen or it crashes and they wonder why.
My camera was tilted and I had NO crashes. I did a advance imu calibration and it fixed it for me.
You weren't even on the right assistant and trying to adjust the gimbal for p2 gimbal. But you think I have a attitude because I'm trying to save you time and money.
Maybe it is screwed up , did you hit the gimbal ?
If it's brand new , Send it back, why try to fix it , you have a warranty.

Mori55 said:
old_guy said:
Mori55 said:

NJ attitude , but if you want to go and drive 3hrs and pay someone to fix it , go ahead. Seems like you have a pretty nice attitude yourself..
The reason I say read the manual and do some searches is this happens all the time. People buy the phantom charge it and go fly , then something happen or it crashes and they wonder why.
My camera was tilted and I had NO crashes. I did a advance imu calibration and it fixed it for me.
You weren't even on the right assistant and trying to adjust the gimbal for p2 gimbal. But you think I have a attitude because I'm trying to save you time and money.
Maybe it is screwed up , did you hit the gimbal ?
If it's brand new , Send it back, why try to fix it , you have a warranty.

I agree send it back.... Use that warranty. I dont need the business when DJI should be taking care of you. ;)

Right. It's all in UPS' hands now. God speed, is what I say.

I wrote the following reply to Mori, but somehow I wasn't signed in and it got disappeared:
"Mori, sorry for my own NJ attitude slipping in there...
Actually I read and re-read the manual. I'm that kind of guy. And I calibrated it 3 or 4 x and figured I'd call DJI. A patient guy there walked me through the recalib. processes yet again... and the gimbal problem of the camera not tilting along as I gently rolled the craft was still there. His advice: return it for repair. My advice: send it back and buy the Yuneec Q500.

Mori55 said:
How about reading your manual ? Do a advanced imu config.
That gimbal config page your looking at is NOT for the plus.
Make sure you have all the latest firmware loaded in the assistant.
Mori, somehow, your latest reply is missing...
Sorry for my own NJ attitude slipping in there...
Actually I read and re-read the manual. I'm that kind of guy. And I calibrated it 3 or 4 x and figured I'd call DJI. A patient guy there walked me through the recalib. processes yet again... and the gimbal problem of the camera not tilting along as I gently rolled the craft was still there.
His advice: return it for repair. My advice: send it back and buy the Yuneec Q500.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl