Gimbal mounted - Heli flies crap now

Reaction score
Hi everyone..

I've mounted a gimbal to my Phantom and it doesn't fly the same as it did without the gimbal.

Feels 'heavier' now and the heli seems more agile.. It has been windy around here lately and I haven't tested it properly but I wanted to ask, when carrying extra weight am I meant to tweak any settings/gains at all? I mean I know I CAN if I wanted to but what's the normal thing to do, just leave it alone?

-Frank

It probably feels heavier because it's, you know, heavier. :) Welcome to gimbal world!

Depending on which gimbal you installed, you've potentially added as much as another pound to your Phantom (including the GoPro), which only weighs barely 700g to start with -- so maybe a 70% weight increase. (Closer to half that if you installed a Zenmuse, but stil something.) That's definitely going to make for a noticeable change in how it handles and responds. You may find that minor tweaks to the gain settings could make it "feel" better for your particular style of flying, but there are no explicit changes that are required. The NAZA simply adjusts power as needed (and able) to compensate for the extra mass and inertia.

MrMediaGuy said:
It probably feels heavier because it's, you know, heavier. :) Welcome to gimbal world!

Depending on which gimbal you installed, you've potentially added as much as another pound to your Phantom (including the GoPro), which only weighs barely 700g to start with -- so maybe a 70% weight increase. (Closer to half that if you installed a Zenmuse, but stil something.) That's definitely going to make for a noticeable change in how it handles and responds. You may find that minor tweaks to the gain settings could make it "feel" better for your particular style of flying, but there are no explicit changes that are required. The NAZA simply adjusts power as needed (and able) to compensate for the extra mass and inertia.

Thanks..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl